1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

no war

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by remko, Jun 20, 2012.

1. remko

remko Chieftain

I was wondering is it possible now to play trough an intire game without going to war?

2. Saxony

Saxony Chieftain

Same as in Vanilla, don't become friends with anybody and do not express aggresion towards City-States

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Also, keep your army strong enough and build walls to scare off potential attackers.

4. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

War is peace.

Building a huge army is a great way to discourage war.

Of course, if you have that huge army, you might as well use it...

5. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

Well so far I say yes, and I am doing without a large army. I am also declaring freinds to test new AI. And I will finish game sometime Friday I hope, without one war def or off. I feel like it can be done so far. The AI seems to not be rapid war dog anymore. I know I beat Civ 4 with one unit ever. That will be my goal here once I see it can be done for sure. :) Not real hopeful that I can do one unit no war on 5 though. :)

Edit Note: On Ai's, my 2 closet neighbors are the ones i am playing up to, as anyone wanting me has to go thru them. I am giving Gold to Arabia for free and Silver to the Huns for free. So far they seem rock solid freindly. :)

6. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

This and this. I have had a few games where there were 0-2 DoW by or on me. Just ignore everyone, keep trading and maintain a good defense. It never was that hard to do.

7. Vatras

Vatras Warlord

Si vis pacem, para bellum, as an unknown writer in the antique wrote (= if you want peace, be prepared for war).

As others above say, having a solid army (you don't have to use it) is a pretty good way to have peace all the way. Bismarck (the real one) did that after 1871 and it worked for the germans then...until the Great War of course, when the military leadership thought it a great idea to actually use the big stick they had.

8. peddroelm

peddroelm King

Are we talking Civ V here ? Because in the Civ V I know - building a huge army has prohibitive :c5gold: & :c5production: costs and maintaining the huge army has crippling maintenance costs ... The economical model of Civ V does not allow the luxury of having a large peace time army (except for very short periods of time) and have enough resources left to achieve any victory condition ...

For an army to be viable - it needs to fight (Win) wars - earn its upkeep costs by providing puppets for trade post spam, conquer World Wonders and/or cripple potential competitors ....

9. ds61514

ds61514 Warlord

Deity, Turn 145, no one has declared war on me!

Of course, that may be because I'm bribing everyone into war with each other :)

10. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

"Of course, if you have that huge army, you might as well use it..."

11. peddroelm

peddroelm King

You have no choice but to use it ... Huge army and peace is economically not an option ....

12. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

You guys are thinking too much of the absurd Civ4 quantities. A more powerful army in Civ5 means higher quality. Just keep an eye on the Soldiers ranking the demographics. An elite army of defenders can hold off an AI army 3x its size, thus more economically pleasing.

13. bpower

bpower Chieftain

Are you comparing 5 favorably to 4? How dare you sir! *Slams door, walks back to 2005*

14. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Oligarchy. Try it.

15. Alloran

Alloran Chieftain

As Ethiopia, just now, I won a culture game with three cities with no one DOWing on me the whole game. The only one who even denounced me was Isabella, but she was placated once I converted her. I was friends with most and traded luxes all over the place. Had Ramses, Augusts and Sejong nearby.

16. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Synergizes amazingly with Military Caste.

17. LightStruck

LightStruck Chieftain

Playing at Ethiopia with religious bonus (defender of the faith), lots of army units, and extreme defense, I managed to have defensive pacts with 5/7 opposing civs on my standard game. Byzantium, Maya, India, Carthage, Austria) while the Celts and Egypt were being all isolationist and denouncing me.

18. pspboy7

pspboy7 Prince

Yep, that's where it all boils down too basically. Defend your empire, and you'll usually be at least neutral with everyone else. Sometime I get DoW, but it's usually in vain.

19. King Kalmah

King Kalmah Magyar Madness

Can I join you?

I need to pass high school this time around instead of playing CIV3/4 all day...lol

20. peddroelm

peddroelm King

Main source of :c5gold: early game is luxury & strategic resources trading ...
    Later in the game (past Economics) trade post spam becomes the main income source for most empires (unless you are Arabia) ...

Both those income sources are directly dependent on the amount of tiles (cities) you have ... (you cannot get 30 luxury copies in 30 tiles, you cannot place 200 trade-posts in 100 tiles)...

No wide empire -> No :c5gold: (need huge area to get large amounts of :c5gold:) -> No huge army (need lots of :c5gold: to produce and maintain huge army) -> No wide empire (need army to conquer land ) {circular dependence list}

HUGE ARMY = REQUIRES CONQUEST WARS to provide the huge amount of tiles required to generate the huge :c5gold: it consumes ...
    ---------------

In the vast majority of cases you cannot expand too much without conquest (peacefully - unless you are Austria perhaps) ....The more aggressively you settle early the more likely you are to cause incoming DOWs ..

Oligarchy - does nothing to alleviate the huge :c5gold: & :c5production: costs required to get a huge army in the first place ...