no war

Same as in Vanilla, don't become friends with anybody and do not express aggresion towards City-States

Also, keep your army strong enough and build walls to scare off potential attackers.

War is peace.

Building a huge army is a great way to discourage war.

Of course, if you have that huge army, you might as well use it...

Well so far I say yes, and I am doing without a large army. I am also declaring freinds to test new AI. And I will finish game sometime Friday I hope, without one war def or off. I feel like it can be done so far. The AI seems to not be rapid war dog anymore. I know I beat Civ 4 with one unit ever. That will be my goal here once I see it can be done for sure. :) Not real hopeful that I can do one unit no war on 5 though. :)

Edit Note: On Ai's, my 2 closet neighbors are the ones i am playing up to, as anyone wanting me has to go thru them. I am giving Gold to Arabia for free and Silver to the Huns for free. So far they seem rock solid freindly. :)

Same as in Vanilla, don't become friends with anybody and do not express aggresion towards City-States

Also, keep your army strong enough and build walls to scare off potential attackers.

This and this. I have had a few games where there were 0-2 DoW by or on me. Just ignore everyone, keep trading and maintain a good defense. It never was that hard to do.

Si vis pacem, para bellum, as an unknown writer in the antique wrote (= if you want peace, be prepared for war).

As others above say, having a solid army (you don't have to use it) is a pretty good way to have peace all the way. Bismarck (the real one) did that after 1871 and it worked for the germans then...until the Great War of course, when the military leadership thought it a great idea to actually use the big stick they had.

Are we talking Civ V here ? Because in the Civ V I know - building a huge army has prohibitive :c5gold: & :c5production: costs and maintaining the huge army has crippling maintenance costs ... The economical model of Civ V does not allow the luxury of having a large peace time army (except for very short periods of time) and have enough resources left to achieve any victory condition ...

For an army to be viable - it needs to fight (Win) wars - earn its upkeep costs by providing puppets for trade post spam, conquer World Wonders and/or cripple potential competitors ....

Deity, Turn 145, no one has declared war on me!

Of course, that may be because I'm bribing everyone into war with each other :)

Are we talking Civ V here ? Because in the Civ V I know - building a huge army has prohibitive :c5gold: & :c5production: costs and maintaining the huge army has crippling maintenance costs ... The economical model of Civ V does not allow the luxury of having a large peace time army (except for very short periods of time) and have enough resources left to achieve any victory condition ...

For an army to be viable - it needs to fight (Win) wars - earn its upkeep costs by providing puppets for trade post spam, conquer World Wonders and/or cripple potential competitors ....

"Of course, if you have that huge army, you might as well use it..."

You guys are thinking too much of the absurd Civ4 quantities. A more powerful army in Civ5 means higher quality. Just keep an eye on the Soldiers ranking the demographics. An elite army of defenders can hold off an AI army 3x its size, thus more economically pleasing.

You guys are thinking too much of the absurd Civ4 quantities. A more powerful army in Civ5 means higher quality. Just keep an eye on the Soldiers ranking the demographics. An elite army of defenders can hold off an AI army 3x its size, thus more economically pleasing.

Are you comparing 5 favorably to 4? How dare you sir! *Slams door, walks back to 2005*

Oligarchy. Try it.

As Ethiopia, just now, I won a culture game with three cities with no one DOWing on me the whole game. The only one who even denounced me was Isabella, but she was placated once I converted her. I was friends with most and traded luxes all over the place. Had Ramses, Augusts and Sejong nearby.

Playing at Ethiopia with religious bonus (defender of the faith), lots of army units, and extreme defense, I managed to have defensive pacts with 5/7 opposing civs on my standard game. Byzantium, Maya, India, Carthage, Austria) while the Celts and Egypt were being all isolationist and denouncing me.

War is peace.

Of course, if you have that huge army, you might as well use it...

Yep, that's where it all boils down too basically. Defend your empire, and you'll usually be at least neutral with everyone else. Sometime I get DoW, but it's usually in vain.

Oligarchy. Try it.

Main source of :c5gold: early game is luxury & strategic resources trading ...
Later in the game (past Economics) trade post spam becomes the main income source for most empires (unless you are Arabia) ...

Both those income sources are directly dependent on the amount of tiles (cities) you have ... (you cannot get 30 luxury copies in 30 tiles, you cannot place 200 trade-posts in 100 tiles)...

No wide empire -> No :c5gold: (need huge area to get large amounts of :c5gold:) -> No huge army (need lots of :c5gold: to produce and maintain huge army) -> No wide empire (need army to conquer land ) {circular dependence list}

HUGE ARMY = REQUIRES CONQUEST WARS to provide the huge amount of tiles required to generate the huge :c5gold: it consumes ...
---------------

In the vast majority of cases you cannot expand too much without conquest (peacefully - unless you are Austria perhaps) ....The more aggressively you settle early the more likely you are to cause incoming DOWs ..

Oligarchy - does nothing to alleviate the huge :c5gold: & :c5production: costs required to get a huge army in the first place ...

Top Bottom