No-Wonder Kublai Khan do Immortal

One thing about settings - in top right there is clock time, turns passed, date. You have on a setting that switches between turns passed and % of game finished. Latter is not very useful, I'd rather like to know we are on T39 than we've finished 7,80% of the game. :) Don't remember how you can change it though.

Game seems to go according to the plan. :) If you want to go axes, you should be connecting copper asap to produce those axes. Is agriculture better than AH? To me, latter feels better as you have no agri-resources but you have sheep. I'm sure it's not a huge deal, the focus is to produce an attack force without any delays. Maybe Beshbalik should start with barracks? Karakorum definitely barracks next. You have enough warriors for military police and with axes spawn busting is no longer very important.

Some moves are very annoying like desert roads, but delaying them just makes things worse so both of your workers should go 1N of cap and start.
Leads to copper and i would also road the forest hill 1w of Besh, with 1 worker after copper was improved.
Then they can split up, 1 back to Kar for chops and other one sheep for Besh + chops there.
Gold or Ivory roads have no priority for now, and i would also rather chop in Kar than build a mine (can leave grass forest).

Not finished warrior builds will turn into spears after copper connects, you can make us of that in Kar and build barracks - unfinished warri.
Economy techs are fine..Agri, fishing (should usually come before for 20%), pottery and writing. Will be needed later.

Settings - it alternates between percent and turn number. I try to time it, but sometimes forget.

AH - I already have. Did you mean something else, like fishing, which is cheaper on the way to pottery? I thought I was going to use agriculture before fishing, especially if we are axe rushing Shaka. Pottery after because of all those flood plains.

AH was the very first tech we researched!

Hah, yeah, forgot AH was the first tech... :hammer2:Yes, towards pottery is best.

edit: oh and about the settings, I meant mostly that you should switch it off, since the % is meaningless. Of course, if you like to keep it on, timing it so that in screenshots it shows T is appreciated.

Last edited:
Another question, minor decision. I think I can have the cities connected and the copper connected on T47. Do I connect the cities first or the copper?

I think, since the goal is to build axes, connect the copper to the capital, connect the other city on T48. Move the first worker back to start chopping. Have a mine ready when we hit S4.

I think it depends entirely on what the capital is building at that point. If it needs to start the axes, then connect copper first. Perhaps you should build one spear, and you can start it as a warrior.

I was able to time the copper and the roads so I finished another warrior, then hooked up the copper. It also leaves one worker closer to the sheep and one closer to the capital.

We managed to get rid of that Barbarian Archer in the southeast. I think the Barbarians are almost busted in the south. My southwest Warrior has to move a little further east. I suppose I had no reason to move him where he was and all I did was run the risk of spawning another Archer. Of course, if we are building a bunch of axes, maybe a spawn might be a good thing!

Here is what we look like:
Spoiler :

upload_2020-5-19_19-18-54.png

Was I supposed to revolt to Slavery a while ago or save it for later? The time to do it was before settling the second city - or later.
Our second city will have a food surplus of 5 with the sheep. Or a little less.

Do we develop the mine in preparation for our capital at size 4 or do we just run the forest tile?
Do we research Writing next or start thinking about HBR?

About how many axes do we need? We don't need that many for the spring attack, because it is instant.

Attachments

• No Wonder Kublai Khan do Turn 48.CivBeyondSwordSave
    80.7 KB · Views: 34
I think what Fippy means is that you don't really need that warrior, but putting 14:hammers: into a spear before copper is connected was worth a lot more.

I don't think fog busting the south is very important, as it's draining units.

I suggested not switching to slavery at all pre-attack and I still like it. I'd just stagnate capital at size 4, working forest plains hill. I know the mantra is to not work such weak tiles, but without whipping/granaries it's different. Just try to get out a few axes asap. This might mean some non-standard plays in 2nd city, too. Is improving sheep really urgent? That :food: doesn't do you that much now. Perhaps chop, improve ivory and road to the tile where the attack starts.

Target city has only one archer right now. You might even start the attack with 4 axes, since you can park next to the target city without declaring.

edit: not sure what exactly would HBR do. You are trying to win the war with axes. Writing seems standard for me.

Well yup, we both made that point.
Could at least pause before and ask, proudly presenting that warrior feels like "oh look, i ignored your hints in a game i play for learning something".

On slavery, feels like there would have been a sweet spot for an almost free switch while waiting for roads (also timing Spear upgrade).
Personally i would have used that to 1 pop-whip Kara, Shaka's city has 1 Archer and whipping gives those 2-3 needed units faster.

Yes, slavery certainly has merits for 1-pop whipping (well, 2nd city can pull off a 2-pop whip at size 4 too), especially as I now realize the :health:-cap is extremely low in both cities.

Early wars require also a certain amount of opportunism. Villain has a very strong city with only 1 archer, we have access to it via culture... I wish it was always this easy. :)

I must have misunderstood and misremembered what I was told. I thought the idea was to hook up the copper when starting a warrior, but it wasn’t terrible if the first build was spear.

The difference is we would be 15/35 on the spear instead of the warrior, plus the overflow. It slows down the axes by 20 hammers, but comes in handy if the Zulu end up with chariots.

Here, it looks like I’m betting 35 hammers / 70 gp against 20 hammers that they don’t have horses.

Since we are exploring this part of micromanagement, when to mine and when to road, I have another question.

It will come down to where my workers should be at the end and of we want the cities connected on T48 or T49, but one worker on top of a forest. I can get a save up showing that situation.

The difference is we would be 15/35 on the spear instead of the warrior, plus the overflow. It slows down the axes by 20 hammers, but comes in handy if the Zulu end up with chariots.
Note that you can immediately switch to an axe so you won't slow down anything. That warrior standing in your capital does nothing! Maybe you could use it as a medic though, then again a spear medic is probably better. Yes, not having a single spear is quite risky, but you don't necessarily need to have one in the initial attack force.

Not sure what you mean. Yes, you can change what you are building. :lol:

Your :lol: says you know what I mean.

I thought if I was 8/15 on a warrior when the copper was hooked up, then at the end of the turn it will change to 8/35 on a spear and I had no choice. I did not know I could change to 8/35 axe before the end of the turn.

I will certainly go back and investigate. It is just a four turn autosave.

No, you can't have 8/35 in the axe... What I mean is that you might rather have 1x/35 spear in the queue than a finished warrior, then produce 2-3 axes, then complete the spear.

I am not really too much into the game but if you are about to Axe rush someone, you don't need to fogbust with warriors. Barbs are a good way to get a promo on some Axes and you'll pay less maintenance for the barb defense. Also, in situation where you are about to choke your economy, you would actually welcome barb cities as you can easily capture them with the remaining forces and get some nice gold in the process which you'll sorely need.

Edit: BTW, isn't it wonderful that something you hate in most of the cases can help you when you need it the most. This game. This game.

Top Bottom