Nominations for Domestic Minister.

I nominate General_W for another term. He's done a wonderful job, and I expect he will continue to do so.

I second the nomination ... and want to hear more of his suggestion to grant the Foreign Ministries a Black Purse :mischief:

Also what are the build priorities and research regime ??!!

I will nominate myself.

I believe that one thing we must try and for our bigger cities is to make them have a marketplace in them so that they can grow larger and thus we can get better unit support and better science and better commerce, and thus we will eliminate any need for any happiness buildings that will cost us money and will not be needed if we build marketplaces.

For our research, i would suggest that we go down the military path so that will mean that we eventually will hed to Military Tactics and the most effective weapon in the game, Calvary.

gbno1fan said:
I nominate General_W for another term. He's done a wonderful job, and I expect he will continue to do so.
Thank you very much!
Now that I have the MIA business community solidly behind me…

I accept the nomination.

Unfortunately – with the loss of the SeaHawks today in the SuperBowl – I’m a not in the mood to write an awe inspiring platform!
:lol:

I’ll post more details tomorrow, but in a nutshell, you can expect more of the same from me… but I’d like to add a bit more of a budget. I don’t anticipate the budget to add much in the way of strategy… but I think it could add some very fun “flavor” and color to our internal role-playing.

Details tomorrow!
:salute:

P.S. I just wanted to get this acceptance posted so I can start collecting campaign contributions! ;)

Question to the (two so far) eminently qualified candidates ... two words ... Settlement Strategy ??!

Gentlemen ... do you see our empire expanding (non-militarily) in your term ... if so in what direction ?

For my reason to ask, look to the Looking Glass (damn I still got it boom boom :lol:) to see evidence that ALL teams are producing much more than wrokers !!!

The Committee of Economists and Business People to elect General_W are proud to present:

Domestic Minister Campaign Commercial: Term 06
(The camera slowly pans in on General_W standing by his lovely wife and two [fake] children. They are standing in front of a fireplace in a cozy living room. A bronze monument to the Ligurian Reapers is prominently displayed on the mantel, and a large portrait of General_W at the Presidential Cave hangs on the wall.)
My fellow Greeks… Allow me to re-introduce myself.

My name is General_W, and these last few years, I've had the privilege of serving as your Domestic Minister. In the past, I've served as Defense Minister and as President.

Recent years have been ones of hardship and struggle for our dear Empire – but also a time of triumph of optimism.

Under my leadership, the Domestic Ministry has overseen the formation of our new glorious Republic – and our empire is now enjoying 79% approval ratings. I have also led the Domestic ministry in forging an even closer working relationship with the President and with the Defense and Foreign ministries. With their aid, the Domestic Ministry has presided over MIA's dramatic rise to #1 in productivity, #1 in GDP, #1 in Land area, #1 in Manufactured goods, #1 in Life expectancy, and now has a commanding leadership position in scientific research.

But now is no time to rest on our laurels. The specter of war hangs on the horizon like a dark cloud, and now our government must work even more closely together to ensure that MIA breaks through the storm clouds to the glorious dawn of our future.

My countrymen – I have the experience and the dedication that these trying times require. I will be a steady hand on the wheel of the MIA ship-of-state, and together we'll sail safely through the worst storms the world can throw at us.
I would appreciate your vote on election day.

(end commercial: Fade-up patriotic music. Display slogan… "A steady hand at the wheel: General_W for Domestic Minister" paid for by the committee to elect General_W Domestic Minister Term 6)

Domestic Minister Campaign Platform for Term 6:
We're too far out to offer a great deal of specifics, but let me offer some comments on my guiding philosophies…

City Production:
Our obvious and pressing need is for Military units. The production of these units need to be balanced with support costs, but this number will be in constant flux depending on the war. Suffice to say, whatever the Defense Minister needs, he'll get. All cities with a barracks will focus on unit production at least until our borders are secure. If things go really well, or start to get peaceful, I will look for opportunities to sneak some settlers or workers or else libraries and marketplaces into our build ques. However, this peaceful builds will remain secondary until we're reasonably safe from KISS.

I'm a big believer in Cash-rushing, and this tactic will be used (after consulting the president, of course) when available to help us get units to the front in the fastest manner possible. This doesn’t apply to term 6, but as an example – with the new movement schedule from Defense Minister Grimes, I will be strongly advocating some cash-rushing to get the maximum number of units to our front lines by turn 104.

If we are fortunate enough to acquire a Scientific Great Leader, My priorities would be to get Sun Tzu's Art of War or else Leo's Workshop. I'd conduct a poll, and look to do more analysis on the current situation. If the war is going well – probably go for Leo's (for all those future upgrades of our Hoplites) if the war is close or going badly – I'm more likely to want Sun Tzu (for the ability to make veteran units everywhere and save on barracks costs.) If we've already won the war or secured peace, which seems unlikely to happen in term 6, then we'd have even more options, and much more analysis would be required.​

Economy & Research:
By the time Term 6 starts, we should be busily researching Chivalry. Hopefully a trade for Engineering with TNT will come about shortly after this, and from there, the foreign ministry will have a large say in where we go… due to what we can arrange to trade.

As far as balancing the Tax rate – the better the war goes, the more we can plow into research. The more difficult the fight, the more we need in gold reserves for strategic rushing. I'd prefer to not see the Science rate go below a 20% minimum from now on, but that will depend on how the war goes. I believe a target of around +25-30 gold per turn is a good benchmark for the start of the war. More can go into science from there if things go well.

Thirdly, I'd like to introduce a very simple "budget" for us to manage our gold income. The budget wouldn't include the science and luxury rates (or corruption or upkeep) as these decisions will be made at a much higher level. The budget would solely deal with what we do with our Net gain (ie, the +25 gold per turn) and current stockpile.
I don't envision this budget being strictly enforced – when strategic concerns necessitate, we can simply "borrow" from one budget item to pay for the pressing need.
Now that I've told you what the budget is NOT, here is it what it is:
A fun way to add some more role-playing elements to our internal team workings and simultaneously, help us plan for future events.
By allocating a "budget" we can start talking, in a meaningful way, about how we're going to spend our surplus cash in the future. Rather than dealing with each need as it comes up, we can start to look down the road and budget for where we might go. If things don't go as planned – no problem, we can always "adjust" the budget. But we will have had good quality discussion that improves our decision making – and we will have had some fun budget battles along the way!

Here's a very rough proposal for what this simple kind of budget could look like, based on our turn 96 info:

Please remember – this is just a proposal. The numbers are fully debatable… in fact, that will be most of the fun!​

Settlement Strategy:
We'll be getting our first new settler in a while next turn – so now is a great time to re-visit our Settlement policy.

I still think my last proposal is a good starting place:

Please Note: This team has always kicked these plans around and modified and adjusted them, and I expect the same to happen again. My intention here is to show my thinking on the topic and get the conversation started. I'll re-post this for specific discussion in the Domestic Ministry.
Any broad, strategic, election related questions… feel free to ask here!

Our evolving situation requires some re-ordering of the timing.

Specifically, I think we need to settle closer to the core first – to get our town count (and unit support) up – and we don't need extra cities we have to defend on our border right now. With that in mind, I'd propose settling in this order:

1) Sugar River
2) Giddy-up Coast
3) Cozy Ivory Coast
4) River T
5) Sugar Coast

Then depending on where we're at with KISS…
6) Peace/War City
7) Banana Republic

Where are we getting these settlers? To start with, they'll come from EMP City – which we can run as a 4-turn settler factory (first settler due on turn 97).

For the time being, I don't think we can afford to have Athens produce settlers. We need the population, and we need the units. If things are going well with KISS, we may be able to squeeze a settler out of Athens in the future – but my guiding strategy is to use the majority of our productive cities with barracks to rapidly bulk our defenses. Leaving only EMP city for Settler duty for the time being.​

That's more than enough from me for right now!

I hope that's clear, and I look forward to a good campaign, and answering lots of questions.

Long Live MIA!

This massive post didn't inspire any questions?

No Comments?

No rebuttal from my worthy opponent?

No Campaign Contributions?!?

:confused:

:rolleyes:

Fine, Fine! I hereby declare that I will contribute to General_W's campaign 1000 MIA iron rings (my just declared official MIA currency) from my personal account, and my business (MIA National Bank) will contribute 10,000 MIA iron rings.

Oh, and by the way, I love the little budget spreadsheet!

I hereby declare that I will withdraw because My interest is not as strong as it once was for this team to be in a ministerial position, i'll just be a citizen and post things where I see fit.

Ah ha! My Gestapo forces take down another competitor :evil:

Er – I mean, my brilliant articulation of the issues has inspired a former opponent to now become a supporter. :D

It appears we won't have a very exciting election this term!
Hope you still stay active Classical Hero!

I nominate gpno1fan

Hmm. If General_W decides not to run, I will accept the nomination, but at this time I have no desire to challenge GW.

Ok, so I haven't exactly been nominated for this position again – but maybe I'm considered defacto running by virtue of my incumbency?

At any rate – now that Chamnix is running for President again… I'll announce my candidacy for another term as Domestic Minister. [party]
It's no secret that I love this job, and we're just entering what may be the most exciting economic time for MIA for this whole game.

However, Gbno1fan has proven himself to be a dedicated and active member of this team. If he'd like a crack at my chair – I'll be happy to see him run and wouldn't mind losing to a fellow Economics geek. I'm sure he'd do a wonderful job. So don't be shy my friend!

I can't promise a clean campaign (just ask Peter Grimes ;) ) but I can promise to invite you over for roast puppy and a good round of drinks and conversation no matter who wins. (And if I do happen to emerge victorious, you'll always have an important place in any cabinet of mine)

So what do you say?

Thanks, but I will pass this time around. I see myself running in the future, but since a new quarter just started the other day (in which I have 30 hours at work, 20 credit hours, and that 8 hour/week commute), I think I'd better sit back a little bit and make sure I have time for the commitments I already have.

I officially decline the nomination.

Term 7

nominate!

Top Bottom