[SCENARIO] Nonterra (space toroidal)

TPEHEP

Prince
Map of the universe. The map includes all pepper2000 terrains & features: Mercury, Venus, the Moon, the Earth, Mars, the asteroid belts, all kinds of space and other planets - as you can see it in the picture.

I tried to make each world/planet unique and interesting in its own way.

Map size: Large
Earth size: -standart

Need SVN 9709+

UPD 03.10.17: New space resources have been added.
UPD 18.10.17: Fixed: war with animals now

Attachments

• Map.png
    Map.png
    357.7 KB · Views: 1,053
  • Nonterra.rar
    33.6 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
This map looks really good... I still would find it frustrating to have west/east to the top and bottom but it looks like a good design otherwise. You've left lots of room for stuff.

I'm not sure I understand the limitation.

I don't know how to make a vertical-oriented map.

UPD Sorry, the translator failed me. What do you mean: "You've left lots of room for stuff."?

If you are about space - in a smaller distance, you will be "covered" the planets by the borders even before you can colonize them.

Last edited:
How can you make a torroidal map but not be able to make a vertical one? I've never tried making a map but others here have done it.

I mean you have nice sized planets and alternative map zones. Seems like many other attempts offer much smaller versions of the additional map types.

How do you take such screenshot of map? Mine is extremely lenghty with its 280x40 size.

Also my 11 space zones have equal width.

I use the "retire" function and then make a screenshot :)

I think it's wrong. Different zones have different needs
I did that to simulate multimaps and to have nice view on each zone. My map is more simulation of space exploration than your ordinary conquest game.
Gas giants and their moons need only one city for each except Io, where should be 2 cities to build Venus world wonder.
Also AI can't colonize space I heard.

"Toroidal" - this is a map setting in the game :)

I tried to make a vertical map through editing the file, but something went wrong :)
hmm... there are some map makers around here, like @strategyonly himself, that may be able to help you with that.

Looks very good from the screenshot. I'll download and test it out soon, looking forward to it.

OK, I've had a chance to look it over more carefully. Really looks good. A few comments.

- I really like how Venus looks. I've seen elsewhere that the volcanos might be turning plots into Earth plots, so maybe we need some exovolcano features.
- The Sun looks neat too. I noticed the plots on the far East column are all Sun, while the adjacent plots are Sun-Like Star. It might be better to convert then all to Sun so that we can build a Sun Scoop and other such things.
- We need a Cislunar Space corridor through the moon, since otherwise there is no way to get a Planetary Settler to Mars. I don't think that similar corridors for other planets are needed, but they might be a good idea.
- There's a lot of Titan (Methane Moon). I would like to expand the Titan material and have about the same amount as on Venus, and decouple the Titan line from the Solar System line. But that would be a lot of work and a ways down on my list.
- Is there any Neptune (Cold Ice Giant)?
- Yes, I know the names are not very intuitive. There is a Very Cold Moon, which is basically Triton, that goes with Neptune, and the Cold Moon, which is basically Umbriel, which goes with Uranus. Of course, there is no law that says that all solar systems have to look like ours, so they can be mixed and matched. But I hope the names aren't too confusing.
- The Planetary Ring was meant to be the rings of Saturn. It won't do any good in Interstellar space.
- A few more Oort Cloud features would be nice.
- Could you add some more Orion Arm? That's where most of the action is going on in the second half of the Galactic Era. Maybe we don't need so much Star Cluster.
- I noticed the seam between Distant Past and Distant Future. That's my fault for giving them the same layer order. I'll fix that.
- I didn't plan on having Hyperspace, Distant Past, and Distant Future appear on the map natively; they are meant as synthetic terrains that are created by some units. But the seams of Hyperspace that you added are really cool. In general, it's really nice to see how you've developed the map in a way that I didn't foresee.

I haven't actually played a game yet and unfortunately it will be a long time before I have time to do so, so I can't comment on what the map is actually like in gameplay and there might be issues I overlooked. But it sure looks fun.

Excellent. Another thing occurred to me that I didn't think of initially.

There could be some problems in building cities on extragalactic terrain that is near hyperspace. As it is now, the way I determine if a city is a hyperspace city is if the terrain it is on has map category VOID and Hyperspace is in the city vicinity. If it has map category VOID and no hyperspace is in the city vicinity, then it is interpreted as intergalactic. If the map doesn't have any native Hyperspace, then it should be fine (though you could also build a city with a Hyperseedship and then disband the city, which would leave the Hyperspace terrain on the map and potentially cause problems). However, if there is native Hyperspace, you could build a city on, say, Virgo Supercluster and adjacent to a Hyperspace terrain, and it will be interpreted as a hyperspace city. That will cause some problems.

By the same token, a city built on the Distant Past and Distant Future plots will be interpreted as intergalactic but not hyperspace, which is not what I would intend.

Really, the underlying cause of the problem is that intergalactic and hyperspace plots shouldn't have the same map category, but they do. I will have to investigate if I can add new map categories.

In the meantime, I don't think you should change the map, but be aware that these issues exist.

I will have to investigate if I can add new map categories.
Easy peasy. I set it up to be every bit as intuitive as it should be. XML only. Have at it.

Top Bottom