1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Normal or Epic (or quick?)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by ainwood, Dec 2, 2005.

?

What speed would you prefer? (Choose the closest option to your opinion)

1. Normal

88 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Epic

139 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Quick

14 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I'll only play it if its normal

13 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. I'll only play it if its epic

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. Mix it up a bit - all speeds.

86 vote(s)
    23.4%
  7. I don't mind.

21 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. solenoozerec

solenoozerec Stranger

25 versus 22 in 4otm1

2. grahamiam

grahamiam In debt to Mr. Geisel

I voted to "mix it up a bit".

I wasn't able to finish gotm1 or many early games due to v1.09 crashes (the late game variety) that seemed to have resolved themselves in v1.52 so I can't compare. However, gotm2 does feel longer, but maybe it's the map script.

In any case, just as we mostly use Standard sized maps in Civ3 with a few small or large thrown in for variety, I would also prefer that Civ4 gotm use Standard/normal size/speed maps most of the time (maybe 30-40%) and then change it up with large/epic or small/fast maps (or other combo's). imho, by keeping size/speed variable along with difficulty level & map scripts, Civ4 gotm will stay fresh for a very long time :)

3. shadow2k

shadow2k Emperor

I voted Epic. I have played at least one game on all speeds, and I prefer Epic well above any of the other options. It just seems more balanced. On normal it seems like any time I want to build a unit, I'm sitting there debating whether to wait 4 turns for the next tech that will make that unit obsolete. On Normal, every game seems to be a race to space. :rolleyes:

At least with Epic, you have more of a choice of which way you want the game to go, instead of being pressured into one due to time restraints.

I probably wouldn't play any GOTM on other speeds, unless I was very bored. I just don't enjoy the other speeds nearly as much, but that's just personal preference.

Time played is more of a factor of how much you MM (or leave your comp on). I think my GOTM2 says 65+ hrs logged, but only was really about 5-10hrs. It's very possible to play quick games on Epic speed, unless you're just sitting there trying to milk every point you can.

Milking games is actually one of the reasons I decided to stop playing GOTM's back in C3, along with other nonsense like palace jumps and...ship chaining. Got tired of seeing all the "Best" players pulling these stunts in their reports.