North American Colonization Mod

@romeinaday: Ummm. Not sure what's going on here. The mod is definitely compatible with the most recent version of Civilization. So you have the "north america mod" folder in your mods folder? Then you start Civ4: when you go to "advanced" and then to "load a mod," does North America Mod appear? If no, then you need to put the NAC mod folder into the correct mods folder - the one in c:/progam files..../mods/. If it does show up, does it work when you try to load it? If not, then you may have one two many levels of folders - make sure that the folders "assets" are visible directly in the North American colonization mod folder. If they are not, then move them into that folder. If this works and the game restarts after loading the mod, go to single player, play a scenario, and then select the scenario you want to play. If they do not appear, you need to place the worldbuilder files into the publicmaps folder (again in C:/program...../publicmaps/. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

@mike6426: I think those are good ideas. I'm not sure I would implement them in exactly that way, but I think it's definitely something to work off of. Thanks! Also, I'm curious what you think about the existing civics in the other category - are they overpowered? Are they 'realistic'?

@woodelf: well, yes, I'm still going, although I wouldn't expect an update for a month or two. I will edit my plans in to one of the above posts in soon though. Id' love to hear your feedback when you get to play it.

Thanks for the time and help Hamtastic. I am not sure why I can't load it. I have the mod in the mods folder. I have the maps in the public maps folder. The assets folder appears immediately inside the nacmod folder. The mod reloads properly but when I select single player and then scenario the maps do not appear on the select map page. I am not sure why. I will try again.

When I try to load the mod as a scenario the maps appear on the "select a map" page....but then when the mod tris to load I get an invalid mod directory message and when it loads the civs that are available are different than the ones in your mod. I believe America, Britain and Spain appeared.

I got the scenarios to load, but all it says is that i've been defeated right after it loads...any ideas? I also

Are you sure you loaded the mod before you loaded the scenario? Again, to load the mod, you have to go to the Advanced menu, select load a mod, and select whatever the name of the folder that you have this mod is. The game will then restart, and then you can load the scenario properly.

Also, you do know this is not for warlords, right?

@ambreville: You're right, the French were present in the 1700s. When I was first making the scenario, I wanted it to start in 1763. At that point in time, the French had no presence in the U.S. I did think about putting the French in, but if I start after the French-Indian War, the French presence will be relatively limited - although they did have a large chunk of the U.S. in the form of the Louisiana territory, it was relatively unsettled. Also, was traded to the U.S. in a peaceful process - something I can't really have the game do without the use of Python (which I don't know). So I just decided to leave the French out.

The word is ... "notyet." :) I've been busy with lots of other stuff, and in my free time I've just been playing some regular ol' Civ4. I still do plan to do at least one update, but I wouldn't expect to see it before another 2-4 weeks. I'll have to run through all the new units & buildings that have come up since then to see what's available, also. :)

@ambreville: You're right, the French were present in the 1700s. When I was first making the scenario, I wanted it to start in 1763. At that point in time, the French had no presence in the U.S. I did think about putting the French in, but if I start after the French-Indian War, the French presence will be relatively limited - although they did have a large chunk of the U.S. in the form of the Louisiana territory, it was relatively unsettled. Also, was traded to the U.S. in a peaceful process - something I can't really have the game do without the use of Python (which I don't know). So I just decided to leave the French out.

You could include them in the area of New Orleans and Baton Rouge, with some smaller settlements up the Mississippi, St Louis and the Illinois region. I don't remember how extensive the starting positions are for the other CIVs, so this may not be enough for the French to make a difference in the game, but on the other hand, CIV is about "what if's" (regardless of French Louisiana being sold to the US forty years later). It seems really odd to have a scenario on the conquest of the Americas without the French being there at all. Just a thought.

One suggestion -- unrelated -- how tough would it be to be able to move along rivers at double speed (just as if there was a road there)? In those times, rivers were "the" designated highways to move quickly across land. Perhaps a special "canoe" skill could be given to troops to imitate that effect. It would also be useful to be able to build forts in "neutral" unsettled regions. Infantry ought to have the ability to build forts as well.

@Ambreville: well, you make a compelling point. After all, if I started the scenario just about 10 years earlier, I'd have to give the French quite a lot of territory (much of Canada, New Orleans, etc.). I'll consider trying to put them in for the next one. The other problem I do have, though, is that then the British have nowhere to go (if I make the colonies independent at that poiint in time). So I'll have to see how that works out. Maybe I could make some of the colonies still belong to England in the beginning?

I like the canoe idea a lot. I'll have to see if it's possible without severe python changes or if there's already a mod out there that does that.

As for the forts, I'll consider it, and I know there are mods out there already that I could just incorporate, but I'm not sure why it would be so great. Have you really encountered situations where you wished you had more defense? I mean, I know it would be accurate historically, but beyond that, what's the point in some way? Are you thinking a limited settlement with limited builds that costs less maintenance and is easier to create or somehting? It would sort of be nice to distinguish between those kinds of settlements and the 'real' bigger cities. I'll think about it some more.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the comments - as I've said, I'm not working on an update yet, but I hope to before too awfully long.

@Ambreville: well, you make a compelling point. After all, if I started the scenario just about 10 years earlier, I'd have to give the French quite a lot of territory (much of Canada, New Orleans, etc.). I'll consider trying to put them in for the next one. The other problem I do have, though, is that then the British have nowhere to go (if I make the colonies independent at that poiint in time). So I'll have to see how that works out. Maybe I could make some of the colonies still belong to England in the beginning?

Thanks for your response. I think the best way to address the Eastern Colonies blocked by French Louisiana is to follow the actual historical situation. The reality at that time (as you hinted earlier) is that the English colonies were far more developed than French Louisiana and Canada, both economically and demographically. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the French could not realistically prevent an eventual westward push of the English (or American) population -- even with alliances with Indian tribes. So in the game, I'd say the English towns are way bigger and more developped than most of what the French would have. The two strong points for the French are the towns of Quebec and la Nouvelle Orleans. Anything in-between these two is likely to be pretty weak.

To balance it out, the French would have to receive regular shipments of troops in sufficient numbers from Paris -- something that the successive monarchies in France failed to do historically, although they could have. The other problem is that French monarchs limited imigration into Louisiana and Canada strictly to devout Catholics, and also stifled commercial development there with heavy taxes and heavy-handed royal control.

I like the canoe idea a lot. I'll have to see if it's possible without severe python changes or if there's already a mod out there that does that.

This used to be a feature in older CIV releases (I think CIV II). Actually, I would bring up "canoe" movement up to 3 spaces rather than the original 2. For horses and artillery, you'd need a further upgrade (barge movement?).

As for the forts, I'll consider it, and I know there are mods out there already that I could just incorporate, but I'm not sure why it would be so great. Have you really encountered situations where you wished you had more defense? I mean, I know it would be accurate historically, but beyond that, what's the point in some way? Are you thinking a limited settlement with limited builds that costs less maintenance and is easier to create or somehting? It would sort of be nice to distinguish between those kinds of settlements and the 'real' bigger cities. I'll think about it some more.

Forts were used to control river passage and can act as trading posts. A fort would prevent anyone from using their "canoe" movement right past the fort. Also, there could be a direct corrolation between the number of forts and whether local indian tribes would accept and sustain alliances with western powers. Coastal forts ought to have the ability to bombard adjacent enemy ships. I like your idea of a limited settlement -- although its growth and production would be very slow until a settler unit can be brought in and turn the "fort" into a standard "town". If so, the town no longer benefits from the old fort's defenses, obviously. The "fort" can generate cash though, because of the local trading.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the comments - as I've said, I'm not working on an update yet, but I hope to before too awfully long.

Thanks a lot! Good luck! :)

Hmm, would a major issue with this mod be, perhaps, the fact that the Native Americans had no such technologies like the ones that are in included in the mod?

It's hard to play on this mod and feel good about it, considering these nations never had Divine Right, or Writing.

Additonally, the map for the epic scenario is out of whack. Perhaps there is another map that can be used.

You're right, the French were present in the 1700s. When I was first making the scenario, I wanted it to start in 1763. At that point in time, the French had no presence in the U.S. I did think about putting the French in, but if I start after the French-Indian War, the French presence will be relatively limited - although they did have a large chunk of the U.S. in the form of the Louisiana territory, it was relatively unsettled.

You should know that North America DOES NOT equal to USA!... Learn your history that goes beyond your own boundaries, and then you will be credible in pretending about some Noth American colonization mod. Thanks in advance.

@tlaverty: yes, the techs are a problem. That's why I gave the different civs quite different starting techs, with the american indians needing to learn most "Western" techs. I'd like to take some of them out, but for others, consider it an 'alternate reality' where they do learn new techs instead of being wiped out by disease.

@hawkfest: about the whole French issue again, yes, you're right generally about the U.S. vs. North America distinction. However, for my specific claim it doesn't matter. France had no presence in NORTH AMERICA from 1763 to 1800, as they lost their territory to the English and Spanish at the conclusion of the war alternately known either as the Seven Years War of the French/Indian War.

France regained their territory in 1800 from the Spanish, to sell it in 1803 to the Americans. Since I start the mod in 1763, I still think they're a reasonable exclusion. Please learn your history before criticizing my statement. Thanks in advance.

@Hamtastic -- I'm surprised to see the start date of an American Colonization scenario chosen to be so late. Why the 1700's? Colonization started as far back as the late 1400's, with major developments in the 1600's. That's why there seems to be lots of arguments about who to include and where...

Yes, I see that. Well, maybe I could make an earlier scenario as well. I did get a bit miffed, though, as I am trying to work pretty hard to maintain some historical accuracy to this, and the whole "you're from the U.S., so you obviously don't care about understanding history" line is annoying. Perhaps I should have titled it "North American Settlement" rather than "north American Colonization" though.

In any case, maybe (if I ever get around to it) the next scenario I release won't be Civil War era but will be earlier (1500ish or so) instead. The problem I still have with this, though, is that it seems like it would rely on a lot of influx of boats, units, and settlers from the Old World, not just implemented through Civics. There are mods that already sort of do that, so I don't just want to duplicate their work. But I could just give it a try and see how it looks.

Anyone got any thoughts on the actual gameplay of it? does the tech catch-up dynamic work, or is it just silly to have the native americans catching up so fast? Are any civics over- or under-powered?

Top Bottom