North American Colonization Mod

Also... on the map, I did in the past have a more extensive one that included much more of Northern Canada, Mexico, and central America. But to get the level of detail I wanted (so some individual 'cities' could be distinguished from each other), the map had to be gigantic, and caused performance problems. So I went with the more U.S.-centric map I'm using now. If people think it would make better gamplay, though, I can use the bigger map instead.

Yes, I see that. Well, maybe I could make an earlier scenario as well. I did get a bit miffed, though, as I am trying to work pretty hard to maintain some historical accuracy to this, and the whole "you're from the U.S., so you obviously don't care about understanding history" line is annoying. Perhaps I should have titled it "North American Settlement" rather than "north American Colonization" though.

Any time you place something on a forum, you know people are going to pick it apart. Most people have different perceptions of what ought to go where, and have different ways of communicating it. Don't take anything personally, though! ;)

"American Colonization" almost invariably has a connotation of the early European colonies vs Native Ameridians. At that point, people will probably expect to see all of the early contenders (Spain, England, France, Netherlands, etc). I'm not sure what to suggest for something in the mid-late 1700's. You're getting close to the American war of independence, which complicates things a bit.

In any case, maybe (if I ever get around to it) the next scenario I release won't be Civil War era but will be earlier (1500ish or so) instead. The problem I still have with this, though, is that it seems like it would rely on a lot of influx of boats, units, and settlers from the Old World, not just implemented through Civics. There are mods that already sort of do that, so I don't just want to duplicate their work. But I could just give it a try and see how it looks.

Indeed. Come up with your own design!

Anyone got any thoughts on the actual gameplay of it? does the tech catch-up dynamic work, or is it just silly to have the native americans catching up so fast? Are any civics over- or under-powered?

Boy, that's a toughie. Obviously there will be a gap with techs and if you allow Native Ameridians to somehow catch up, the game will cease to have the "historical" illusion of the initial turns. But then again, that's a hallmark of CIVILIZATION! Perhaps the key is whether Native Ameridians can succeed in throwing out the Euroes before they get too powerful -- that it of course if they can overcome their own internal warfare (example -- Iroquois vs. Hurons). So for the natives, it's not so much about catching up on techs, but sovereignty of their ancestral lands. This begs for separate victory conditions (like preserving enough land up to a certain time, or playing up a strategy of Diplomatic or Cultural victories for Native Ameridians that aren't available to the Euro CIVs.)

This scenario probably also needs Euro CIVs receiving (random) shipments of troops, settlers, and workers coming across the Atlantic. I've no idea how to code that into the game though.

Also... on the map, I did in the past have a more extensive one that included much more of Northern Canada, Mexico, and central America. But to get the level of detail I wanted (so some individual 'cities' could be distinguished from each other), the map had to be gigantic, and caused performance problems. So I went with the more U.S.-centric map I'm using now. If people think it would make better gamplay, though, I can use the bigger map instead.

I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better off renaming this scenario "How the West was Won"? At least, that would get you away from the "colonization" connotation. You might also want to delay the start date to after the American Revolution, just to avoid having to switch from Brits to Americans after the game starts. Just a thought.

I think the timeframe works. I prefer AH so having the natives catching up is cool.

Hey What About the French, they did play a major role in the colonization !!!

@ambreville: You're right, the French were present in the 1700s. When I was first making the scenario, I wanted it to start in 1763. At that point in time, the French had no presence in the U.S. I did think about putting the French in, but if I start after the French-Indian War, the French presence will be relatively limited - although they did have a large chunk of the U.S. in the form of the Louisiana territory, it was relatively unsettled. Also, was traded to the U.S. in a peaceful process - something I can't really have the game do without the use of Python (which I don't know). So I just decided to leave the French out.

There. French question answered...

You're right, but there was an ongoing discussion about that in this thread. Several of us were surprised as well not see the French, but Hamstatic set his mod in the later 1700's, which sort of rules out the French. By then the "colonization" has already occured so to speak. There are other scenarios available about this game genre that do include more than just the Brits and the Spaniards. Try Dale's Age of Discovery, Dogbeard's excellent Pirates!, or the one I just posted. I'm sure there are more. ;)

You might also want to delay the start date to after the American Revolution, just to avoid having to switch from Brits to Americans after the game starts. Just a thought.

or you could just make the Americans start off with only say New York, Boston, and maybe Philidelphia and charlotte and be a vassal of the British, then you can add a script that breaks off the americans from the british

or you could just make the Americans start off with only say New York, Boston, and maybe Philidelphia and charlotte and be a vassal of the British, then you can add a script that breaks off the americans from the british

That would be ideal. I personally have no clue how to do that. Do you? :)

I don't know how to do it; I am just the Ideas guy;)

but my best guess would have something to do with Python
You should probably find someone who knows how to do that stuff, this place should be full of them;)

great idea, have you guys played an old game Colonization? very similar to Civ1 :) this Colonization could give you lots of ideas to the mod. any chance for some smaller map than the default????

You should include the french empire in your future plan... Else this would only be some revisionist exercise.

Top Bottom