(Not quite) random spawn dates

Úmarth

Megalomaniac
How about to add some variation to spawn dates you could make them random within certain criteria.

What gave me this idea was the way Rhye described the map as being random, but then certain conditions are laid on top of that randomness. So, for example, the European civs could spawn randomly within say 400 years after Rome first goes into "Unstable", Mongolia could spawn when China collapses (since they conquered the Southern Song, Jin and Xi Xia rather than a united Dynasty), or Arabia could spawn whenever someone is close to researching Divine Right.

I realise this wouldn't apply to some civs, and that you'd have to be careful not to imbalance the game because of techs, but what does everyone think? Perhaps if Rhye doesn't include it it's something that would make a feasible modcomp.

I'd love at least some randomization of start dates, but tying them to specific events which may not happen is dangerous. For example I want to play as France, so I have to wait until Rome becomes unstable. But what if it never does? Or only in late game?

What would be easier to do, and wouldn't change the game much, is to just pick a random date around the "standard" starting date. Say +/- 10 turns. This way the human player won't be able to time various decisions when anticipating the spawn of a new civ.

What would be easier to do, and wouldn't change the game much, is to just pick a random date around the "standard" starting date. Say +/- 10 turns. This way the human player won't be able to time various decisions when anticipating the spawn of a new civ.

I, personally, for balance reasons, think this would be the best way to implement it.

This could be fun as a minor thing, but spawning will always be slightly hard to predict until you get calendar anyway.

As it is now, it's always the same turn, so after playing a couple of times, you'll know which turn who to expect to spawn.

Top Bottom