Nothing to build

Delphi456

Prince
As I follow the classic research path to Republic I find I soon run out of things to build. The few towns that get barracks crank out swords, the high food town creates settlers, and I'll build a temple only to relieve cultural pressure. Curreny, Const, and Lit aren't in yet so I'm left creating cats sooner than necessary. What happens is I'll settle near a BG and get 2f/2s. Growth is too slow for a worker, so I have to first build a cat, then a worker, then a cat, then a worker.....

Would I be better off with 5 turns of 'wealth', then 5 turns to build a worker? Seems odd to be building 'wealth' so soon. Assume these towns aren't on the coast.

Just keep building units, and then destroy everybody else on the planet.
No sense in letting all the Iron in the swords just get rusty from lack of use....:trouble:

As I don't know the full situation, perhaps you could improve your research time to republic? If you make the slingshot then it should be relatively quick; I'm not sure how much time you are spending on the way there that leads to a lack of 'need' for improvements. If you are making the slingshot and you are short things to build on the way to phil, settler and workers with enough military to keep it safe is usually enough to keep me busy. If the land is a tight squeeze then it would be hard to have too many swords to solve the problem. :D

If you miss the slingshot, then maybe detour to lit to put up some libraries while on the way to Republic. It will give something to build, something to trade for other techs to allow you to build other improvements (such as markets or aqueducts), and once the libraries are up you will hopefully recoup some of the lost time on the way to republic.

I'm not trying to be critical or obnoxious, but 'nothing to build' is just too foreign a concept for me to comprehend. Sounds like you set build goals for individual towns and don't stray from that pattern. I have a simple rule for every town in my core: build units to go blow up my neighbors. All town improvements are to support that rule. And I can never have too many units, so there is always something to build.

Edit: As for wealth, I only use that late in the game on farms, when I am maxed out on workers and have settlers stockpiled waiting for newly conquered land to settle. I'd stay away from that until the game is 'in the bag'.

Top Bottom