• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

nVidia GeForce Problems

So far, it's running pretty well on my system (other than the 64 MB video card lower setting graphics)

I'm seeing swamp terrain that shows through in the undiscovered map areas (not a game killer though)

Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 (using the Forceware 56.72 Driver)
Athlon 1800+
512 RAM
SB Live! (5.12.0001.0244 Driver)
Windows XP SP1

Hopefully, the driver information might give some help to those having problems. 80)
I am using older and SP1... so... who knows.

I had the black terrain problem right after I installed the game too. But after I went online and downloaded the latest driver, the game works fine.

My video card is nvidia geforce 4 MX 440

Posted this last night somewhere else, but am posting hear as this is aGeForce problems thread.

I have a P4 2.4Gig system, with Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440 card with 64 M, and DirectX 9.

I'm having the Cheshire cat, black terrain problem.

My laptop Gateway AMD 64, 3200+,1M RAM, unfortunately has an ATI card. I cannot run the game on either of my computers, this is getting really frustrating.

I have the nVidia GeForce 5700. I used the nVidia utility to change the graphics preferences from "high quality" all the way to "high performance" and everything in between. I got the most consistent results with "quality" or "high quality." If I used the performance settings, I'd have problems when I returned to the desktop; it would not refresh correctly at the right resolution and color depth. I did update my drivers to the latest available. That seems to help somewhat.

In game problems included no city names or data on-screen and at one point the world disappeared (went black) in the global view. Changing drivers seems to help...so far. Need to test more but have to go to work!

I cannot get the choppy movies to go away, however...the intro movie chops and stutters and so do the wonder movies. What's up with that?

Oh yes...2.5 Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM, Audigy 2 SB card, nVidia GeForce 5700 with 256MB...a normally very stable system for all other purposes.

I've had 2 CTD's...save often!

have you guys flicked over to 1024*768 resolution? That, plus a reversion of my drivers - see above - worked for me.

Dennis, you should be getting a menu on that page to go single player, multi, etc.

Since this is a GeForce thread I'll post my problems here too as well.

Going to the varied advisor screens causes problems (especially F5 one..can't remember what that one is exactly at the moment).
Movies crasehd it (fixed by turning them off)
Most of the time a game larger than standard size reboots after the beginning movie is done.

Sometimes these can be fixed by alt-tabbing out. Usually the computer reboots itself before then though.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon XP, 1600 MHz (12 x 133) 1900+
Abit KG7
1GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 (128 MB) (newest 81.85 drivers)
Audigy 2 Sound Card

I have a GT6800 and I'm having some issues as well.

When starting the game I get a bunch of garbage on the screen where some video appears to be playing, but I can click though them to get to the main menu. I get the same thing when a Wonder movie plays. However the other in game movies work.

Here are my specs

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Version
AMD 3200+
1 Gig Memory
GT 6800
ASUS KN8-E

Civ4 installs fine and runs in 1024 x 768.
Setting res at 1280 x 1024 results in "failed to initialize" error.
Changing res settings in civilization4.ini does not fix it.

Complete uninstall and reinstall enables game to run 1024 x 768.

Latest nVidia drivers 81.85 didn't even let machine boot but probably another issue there since I did not first uninstall the existing nVidia driver 78.01

Specs
P4 3.0
1 Gig
XP SP2
nVidia 6800, 128 megs

I am recieving a "Failed to initialize renderer-check directX version and graphics settings" error when I attempt to play.
I use a GeForce FX5600 card with version 6.14.10.6693.
I have not loaded the 10/05 drivers because it says to disable current drivers first. Guys, I'm really computer non savy and am reluctant to get rid of current drivers first. Is this safe? Sugestions? Thanks!

Kinmanng said:
I had the black terrain problem right after I installed the game too. But after I went online and downloaded the latest driver, the game works fine.

My video card is nvidia geforce 4 MX 440

Thats very good to here I have the same card I dont have the game yet hopefully today but who knows. Was getting alittle worried about it but I had just downloaded the latest drivers as well early today so hopefully I'll be alright.

After updating my drivers I've had 0 graphics problems.

Only problem I have now is my game running slow I guess 512mb ram isn't enough will probably upgrade to 1gig soon

GeForce4 MX 420 card (64 MB RAM) with latest nvidia drivers. I uninstalled and installed them once more.

My system is a pentium 4 2.26 GHz with 768 MB RAM

All is working ok. The startup intro movie stops intermittently.

And the oddest thing is when you want to show the resources on the map, I only see bread and not hammers or commerce :eek:

There is another thread over here about this with screenshot

I haven't reached any wonder movies, so I am not sure how well they will work yet. I'll edit this post as soon as I do

The integrated geforce 4 gpu doesn't support T&L. I'm not sure the Titanium series does either.

The 5200 *should* work. My 5700 works flawlessly.

I was having problems with the wonder movies crashing the game, and I'm running a 64MB GeForce 4 Ti 4200. However, after I installed the new drivers that nVidia put out last week, all is well.

But there's quite a bit of lag. It takes 5 seconds or so to navigate between advisor screens using the function keys. This is with just one city and only a couple turns into the game.

The opening video is also very choppy. Visually it's not bad, but the sound skips every couple seconds like there's a CD scratch. Happens through the whole opening video though.

AMD64 3200+
1GB extra low latency dual channel RAM
24 bit SoundBlaster Audio
Nvidia GeForce 6600GT w/ 128MB Video RAM

Guess I'll check the Nvidia site for newer drivers...

zbadger13 said:
I am recieving a "Failed to initialize renderer-check directX version and graphics settings" error when I attempt to play.
I use a GeForce FX5600 card with version 6.14.10.6693.
I have not loaded the 10/05 drivers because it says to disable current drivers first. Guys, I'm really computer non savy and am reluctant to get rid of current drivers first. Is this safe? Sugestions? Thanks!
Were the heck did you find updateds for the driver I'm still stuck with version 5.2.1.6 (Same Card) :cry:

Try Nvidia.com for updated drivers. The latest ones are version 81.15 for the Nvidia Geforce cards.

oxonian2001 true you so much it works. It happens to only driver I never updated.:D

Top Bottom