o.o

Steelyglint

Warlord
A hostile Alex pays 64 for open borders, Persia mounts a credible intercontinental invasion and all surviving AIs DOW me as soon as they realise I'm about to win.

Is there a patch I've missed?

I've never been DOW'd by all the remaining powers when I'm close to winning. Rarely even one or two. Usually the AI doesn't even bother and lets me launch my ship or build my Utopia Project. Guess its all my military units making scary faces. :crazyeye:

I don't think it's weird at all that a hostile civ would pay for open borders. This allows the other civ to check out your military and if there's anything they want to take

I don't think it's weird at all that a hostile civ would pay for open borders. This allows the other civ to check out your military and if there's anything they want to take

Ayup. Other civs want your borders open for only two reasons- because their early-game scout/warrior or trireme explorers are hung up on your border, or they want to case the joint for conquest and plunder. Or both. Not because they want to stop by for brew and shoot the breeze.

Ayup. Other civs want your borders open for only two reasons- because their early-game scout/warrior or trireme explorers are hung up on your border, or they want to case the joint for conquest and plunder. Or both. Not because they want to stop by for brew and shoot the breeze.

True, but I think the OP's point is that generally how much the AI will pay you for something is determined by how it feels about you, not how much it needs it. As I've pointed out before, that's stupid and unrealistic. It would be nice if that sort of thing were being toned down.

... And this is based on?

You can test it. Try to sell a luxury to a rich hostile civ who is in deficet of happiness. Most of the time he won't give you full 360 gold (on Epic) even though he really needs it.

You can test it. Try to sell a luxury to a rich hostile civ who is in deficet of happiness. Most of the time he won't give you full 360 gold (on Epic) even though he really needs it.

If he is hostile towards you wouldn't he rather die then give you any advantage?

Has anyone here ever seen the AI, who is starting from another continent, using three BBs and a couple Modern Armor/GDR spearheads to take a coastal city or two?

If he is hostile towards you wouldn't he rather die then give you any advantage?

No, they will offer less the further to the left on the hostile-guarded-neutral-friendly spectrum they are, but will still offer something.

Maybe they value luxs based on your relationship, but open borders are calculated by how much they want them.

Steelyglint, Probably the AI just fluked its way into being badass in your game. Savour that :)

Top Bottom