• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Obsolete Stonehenge Question

bds

Warlord
When you research calander and obsolete the stonehenge, does it obsolete it for all civs or only your own?

So if somebody else has built it, is it a valid tactic to research calendar to get rid of its effect?

I'm pretty sure it works until the holder of it researches calendar, so you could trade the tech to the owner as a valid tactic.

Stonehenge becomes obsolete when the civ that builds it researches calender. the research paths of other civs has no affect on it.

Also true for all other wonders. They only become obsolete when the civ that owns them gets the obsoleting tech.

Don`t hurry for calander, if you got stonehenge - unless you need it for dye or Spice.

When you research calander and obsolete the stonehenge, does it obsolete it for all civs or only your own?

So if somebody else has built it, is it a valid tactic to research calendar to get rid of its effect?

No, if your rival do not have Calendar, it works. You can't stop them. It must be a good idea, send it to Firaxis.

Don`t hurry for calander, if you got stonehenge - unless you need it for dye or Spice.

You dont understand the question, do you?

Something to consider: if your civ is Creative, it'll earn culture points per city faster than monuments. If you can build Stonehenge very quickly, that may be worth it - a sudden explosion of 3+ culture per turn per city! But if Calendar is close to the horizon the whole excerise is really a waste compared to other wonders of better/longer value... YMMV of course.

In team games, you share wonder benefits, and technology. It would be rather disappointing for one team member to build it and another to cancel the benfits to the team shortly thereafter with the discovery of Calendar!

I have a question about Stonehenge, and other wonders at that. When you obsolete them, do they stop producing culture as well as their effect? Just wondering.

I have a question about Stonehenge, and other wonders at that. When you obsolete them, do they stop producing culture as well as their effect? Just wondering.

The culture stays for the wonder, but not for the monuments unless you've hand built them

I'm pretty sure it works until the holder of it researches calendar, so you could trade the tech to the owner as a valid tactic.

The AI is usually pretty good at obsoleting stonehenge themselves, I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to trade calendar to anyone.

Something to consider: if your civ is Creative, it'll earn culture points per city faster than monuments. If you can build Stonehenge very quickly, that may be worth it - a sudden explosion of 3+ culture per turn per city! But if Calendar is close to the horizon the whole excerise is really a waste compared to other wonders of better/longer value... YMMV of course.

In team games, you share wonder benefits, and technology. It would be rather disappointing for one team member to build it and another to cancel the benfits to the team shortly thereafter with the discovery of Calendar!

1. Creative is a relatively worthless trait compared to others, IMHO.
2. If playing with AIs on Noble or above, there should be little to no way that Stonehenge is still unbuilt when calender is close.
3. Communication between team members is essential. Make sure you all share a strategy.

The manual says,

"Some wonders can become obsolete over time. This obsolescence
is caused when any civilization learns a specific technology.
When that occurs, the wonder's special effects vanish,
but it still continues to produce culture. For example, the
Great Lighthouse wonder provides a trade benefit to all coastal
cities, as well as +8 culture to the city where it is constructed.
The Great Lighthouse is rendered obsolete once any civilization
gains the “steam power” technology, at which point the
owner loses the Lighthouse's trade benefit but retains its +8
cultural output."

This isn't correct?

The manual says,

cultural output."

This isn't correct?

No. The Great Lighthouse is rendered obsolete once Your civilization gains the “Corperation” technology. If you have a teammate, Yes.

I often have the AI trying to even GIFT me calendar free when I have the stonehenge. This is one of those times I REFUSE the free tech.

Stonehenge is worth the while, if you are philosophical, its early gp comes just about the time you've finished the first axe rush. (at least for me if im using ghandi or elizabeth). The main reason its good is that its dirt cheap, and calender definately, isn't a priority, unless something weird, like tons of plantation resources, and low happiness are going on.
Stonehendge is a wonder that i dont prioritize( neither does the Ai), but can be pretty nice to have.

Stonehenge is particularly valuable if you're going for a cultural victory, as are all early wonders, because of the double culture produced by any culture-providing building over 1000 years old.

If you founded one of the early religions go ahead and build Stonehenge, even if it will go obsolete on the turn after you finish it. 50 turns after you finish it, you get a Great Prophet and therefore a shrine. Even without a religion, Stonehenge comes early enough that the Great Prophet can be used to lightbulb a tech. GP points are hard to come by in the early game when you are concentrating on growth.

The manual says,

cultural output."

This isn't correct?

I've been playing Civ long enough to know, that sometimes the manual is just wronge about some things. The Civ III manual had the wrong stats for half the Unique Units. People who are writing and editing these things sometimes miss something, and so much experimentation goes into making these games, and the manuals are more or less written simultaneously. So if the editor misses something, then the passage will reflect an archaic mechanic from an earlier draft of the game rather than the mechanic that was implemented. (BTW in Civ's 1 and 2 Wonders turned obsolete the moment certain techs were first researched by anyone, but in Civ's 3 and 4 buildings do not turn obsolete until after the cvilization that owns them researches said techs.)

Yeah, manual is all messed up. That's what happens when you write the manual before the finished product.

All buildings remain in effect until you or a team mate research the tech that obsoletes the building.

Top Bottom