occ

Exactly! In my France OCC game I could usually get strategic resources for between 200 to 400 gold lump sum. I got luxuries for between 50 to 150 lump sum. The resource is not seen as benefitting you greatly because you only have 1 city; therefore the AI doesn't require as much.

It's important to establish trades early on, and keep trading, even if you don't need anything. Keep them Gracious to you (which requires you to be extra generous to them) and I believe they're more likely to give you good trade down the line. Trade, trade, trade.

I have yet to win at OCC (I've tried two or three times) but I like the idea, for a fast, fun game. I started one last night - Monarch, Standard, 8 civs - as the Indians. I picked them because I thought the commercial and religious traits would be helpful for OCC. I got a decent but not great starting location - good mixed terrain, some grassland and some hills, with a freshwater lake so I can grow, but there are also three squares of desert which will be a problem after I get sanitation, and there are no resources in sight! Happiness was a problem until I build a cathedral and the Sistine Chapel.

So, it's the middle ages and I think my OCC is going all right, but we shall see. Wonderwise, I have the Great Library and the Sistine Chapel but unfortunately I didn't get any of the others that have been available so far. I doubt I'll be able to wrangle a cultural victory without any other early wonders producing culture for me, so I'll have to try to build the UN.

Here's a question for you experienced OCC players: what do you do when there isn't anything to build - do you use wealth? I try to avoid using wealth in my regular games, but here it seems like it's better than building military units that cost support and that I won't use. And - what do you do about prebuilding? It's really challenging to get wonders when the best I can do is a four turn prebuild using courthouse or something.

Definitely pre-build for Wonders. Try to slow your production down to match your research rate, so you get the maximum shields transferred to the Wonder. A big treasury is really useful to buy that critical Tech necessary for the next desired Wonder. Also, if you have to buy a tech, a strategy is to decrease your Science Rate to 0% just before negotiating a price. This gives you maximum gpt capability and might get you the trade. Afterward, readjust the Science Rate back to where you can.

Early on, the Colossus is great, especially in conjuction with River or Lake. It makes you look like you have 2 cities and lasts well into the Industrial Age. Great Library is also great, because it allows you to build up that treasury. You really want the Science Wonders also, to build a Super Science City. Sistine Chapel can be passed over; I think Shakespeare's Theatre is more useful for a OCC. Most victories as OCC are city cultural, so any major culture producing wonder is good.

Originally posted by Gothmog
SJFrank: This is bit off topic but I was intrigued by your post.

"Unit loss is a major factor when it comes time to calculate the cost for peace."

Do you know what other factors there are in the cost of Peace (or is there a thread somewhere)?

Raze a few of their city, they will give their child for peace .

Originally posted by Scyphax
I understand trade is key to a OCC game.
Currently I am playing my first OCC game with a city with a harbor.
Is it possible to win a OCC game with an inland city?

I just won my first attempt at a OCC game with an inland city.
Monarch, standard map and rules, Babs.

It turned out to be a big continent w/ 5 other civs on it so there was plenty of trading. After magnetism or navigation, you get to use the others harbors for trade overseas. I'm not sure what would happen if all the civs on my continent went to war w/ the other one at the same time.

I won in 1959 via culture. The rest of the continent was involved in many many wars that saw 2 civs destroyed. There were alot of things i learned from it and it was alot of fun.

It's possible and has been done on a diety tiny pangea map. Larger map sizes would be very very tough, but it's not easy to prove something is "theoretically impossible".

Top Bottom