1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Office of Exploration

Discussion in 'Team SANCTA' started by azzaman333, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Krill

Krill Chieftain

We haven't even seen barb archers yet...spears take longer than that.

2. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Archers need teams to know Archery.

Spears need teams to know Hunting and Bronze Working.

Spears will likely show first, if I understand barbarian mechanics correctly.

3. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Well, considering we only need to discover land now, along with one other team, should we reconsider our prioroites from scouting out in straight lines with everything, to scouting potential city sites or not?

4. Dreylin

Dreylin Cousin Itt!

Well, We may well be looking at a map akin to Ruff's "Pizza" http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3266 except without the central civ. That would imply that a pair of Triremes should be able to (eventually) contact all civs around the edge, while we can concentrate internally on our city sites....

5. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

sure, if we can find out where everyone is by asking.

Do we think we can do that? especially, do we think we can find out where saturn is by asking mad scientists? my guess is that they are to our west.

6. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Anyone want to reconsider the galley? We could land a settler and axe over there if we wanted...then come back for some workers, or land a chariot and axe then come back for a settler and a worker (as a fyi, the worker could come from FC, it would no longer be required, as 1 worker could keep up with improvements there after t84).

7. regoarrarr

regoarrarr Chieftain

I guess I'd want to know if there as another team over that that considered that "their" land, before settling there. Not that that means we shouldn't send a galley

8. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

I think we need to explore it, sure.

Question is, when.

What could we find there that would make us want to put a city there over some of our other sites? Consider that any city there would have to be able to handle multiple barbs without reinforcement, so we would probably need to give at least 1 worker and 2 axes to keep it safe.

9. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Silver, furs, pigs, deer, crabs, corn and rice (well, we have corn in the south but it is difficult to get hooked up, and we do really need health soon. Rive is close by but not worth settling a city for until CS, which means we would have to wait for IS to pop the borders again); silks, spices incence and dye slightly less so. Silver especially would make gold slightly less important. Obviously such a city would have to be productive, but with the Collosus and just 6 coastal tiles+food, it can be productive.

Looking at the CDP, the only thing we would have to do is figure out a way to get gold city founded around a the same time whatever we do; admittedly, I didn't build in a lot of leeway with the CDP plan, so it isn't that easy, but we no longer have as much of a reason to explore for other civs, as there is only Saturn left to find now, and considering the direction that Kaz, Cav and MS found us, one of Stuy and Barentz should uncover Saturn. That means that we only have to scout for land, so we can alter the scouting units that we use to facilitate that, giving us the leeway required.

Taking into account the directions, a galley makes more sense now than before, because the area to our west and north west is absolultely huge, and we can't expect Barentz alone to uncover all of it, so dropping of a unit or two would be a big help over there finding Saturn, and getting a port city on that side would help cement Saturns chances of finding us as well, in addition to hopefully get us another useful city site that is not exactly far away from the capital (by comparison, gold city site is 15 tiles away for maintenence purposes, which is a similar sort of distance for a city to the NW).

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Maybe to the north east is something similar to what we have to our west?

11. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Do you mean north west and east, instead of northeast and west? If so, I'd suspect something like that; it'd mean we would want to speed up the settling plan though.

12. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Probably. I mix up east and west all the time.

13. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Looking at the numbers, and because of how tight it is to squeeze in CoL and masonry before t100, the only way I can see a city to the NW being useful is if there is silver or furs (or gold) up there that we can settle easily with a coastal city, otherwise it just costs a little too much.

Bummer :(