Office of Exploration

Barentz...I like a move S then ??? depending on what he sees...but most probably W, to set up a move NW>??? the next turn, so we can figure out what we are going to do for food resources in that region.

Ok need 2 directions for 2 scouts.

Barentz:
1. The obvious move is NW NW. Any other opinions?
Spoiler :

As for our other scout: Does he head E? and then go N through those mountains? Or does he go SE (or S) and around this set of mountains we are at.
Spoiler :

Agree with Barentz.

Stuy: Do we want him to move generally south, or generally north? If we're going south, I think S (to oversee the valley for barbs) - SE - SE is best.

Agree with Barentz.

Stuy: I think this depends on what we do with Barentz, as Stuy could do either; Barentz could head Southwest if we wanted to send Stuy north though.

my logic is this:

1. we know through the mountains to the N is jungle / forest. Thus Barentz would be quick to go through there.

2. We have exploration troops (galley's etc) comming out relatively quickly (feasibly close to arounf when barentz would get there.

Therefore. Stuy should move SE SE S then try and keep to the western edge of those mountains.

Barentz shoudl rip West accross our unreavealed tiles to help develop a better dot map. As soon as he gets ~ aroudn the bananas, head south through an opening i nthe mountains which I am sure will be there.

I agree with sending Barents NW - hopefully will help resolve discussion about settling by the horses.

But if we're then going to hook him around South as Memphus suggests, then it seems to me that we should send Stuy up North through the Banana Pass.
Seems likely we'll have a neighbor there to meet.

Barentz NW>NW

Stuy W>???? That is some weird territory N of Stuy in both of those valleys.

But yes, if Barentz is going to swing SW, then Stuy is free to go N.

OK, here are some numbers:

If Barentz heads northwest through the jungle, it takes 6 turns (end of turn 73) until we start uncovering FoW in that direction (along with another slither along the way).

If Barentz heads southwest, we can start uncovering FoW right away

The general direction to take for both is identical for the next 2-3 turns for either of hte above options. (NW>NW SW).

A thid option, however, is for Barentz to head back to the southeast, which would take until t79 to start heading into the unknown again, and is heading into desert, where the woody2 upgrade may not be that useful.

Personally, I'm not that sure which is the best. If we want, we can wait until we get sailing on t75, and throw a scout and axe onto a galley and send it to the east to drop off the axe to scout inland and the scout to check out the coastal areas and then load back onto the galley (scout is not a requirement, but is very cheap). We can't really do this to the west, as we could be sending Zuurstof to the SE and that would uncover all of that land a dozen or more turns before the galley would get there, and the south we could send a chariot to, so we do have quite a few options as I see it, it's all a matter of priorities...

We could let Barentsz move slightly south of the path Stuyvesant took, to uncover some new tiles, then swing north.

Spoiler :

Yellow are proposed moves for the next two turns, white indicates the two extremes of possible moves for the third turn along with amount of FoW uncovered. Surficed to say that I think Barentz should head to the NW, either asap by the shortest route possible or taking the longer route uncovering FoW as effeciently as possible, though currently leaning towards the former, still listening to hte arguments atm.

Simple argument: why is stuff south of the desert, which we can't settle until t90 even if we changed all of our settling priorities more important than the area direct west of CK? The only reason we would build a city down there is as a bottleneck city or for Iron/happiness resource such as silver, and that's pushing it as we couldn't defend it or make use of the happiness prior to t80 anyway.

From the PoV of efficiency, it would be cheaper and quicker overall to wait for chariots around t80 to scout in that direction, due to the fast nature of the units in an area that would appear to lack forests and jungles, and send Barentz to the west where forests and jungle proliferate and a chariots would get bogged down, but Barentz can explore faster than the rest of our units.

But we need to scout out all of the land around us; what makes the south so much more important than the NW?

It takes until t73 to be exploring the FoW to the NW, but that includes 2 turns uncovering the FoW, so really, it's 4 turns of not exploring, compared to the 1 turn of not exploring if we send Barentz to the S. The upside is that we don't have to later on send an axe or chariot over there, which if built on t80 wouldn't get there until t91, at the absolute earliest, whereas a chariot sent to the south can get there in 3 turns, and so would be exploting the unknown from t84.

The other factor is that the NW is full of forests and jungles, so we can explore faster with a one move axe over there than we can explore the desert, so we are more likely to find a team to the NW by turn 100 than we are exploring the S with Barentz, all things being equal. Then when you take into account that the chariot is faster, by turn 100 the chariot would have covered all of the same land that Barentz would have covered. Conversly, a chariot can't explore the NW because of all of the forests and jungles, so to explore effectively up there we need to send a woods2 unit up there if we are to explore that area in a quick manner.

Top Bottom