• 3-4

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • 5-8

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 9-24

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by superslug
:confused: Um, score. This isn't just the Hall of Fame, it's the High Score Hall of Fame, right?
The reason I ask 'slug is because soooooo much noise was made by non-milkers about how you HAD to milk a game to get into the HOF............I thought we had agreed that End DATE was the criteria!? (EXCEPT for the ANY-Victory-Condition High Score Table) :confused:

Otherwise, what is the significance of say, a Fast Finish Conquest victory on a Huge Map?........The milkers are still gonna take ALL 10 slots with a finish date of 2050AD!? ;)

Now if it's a LOSS then that would be a different story!.....I think that could be listed AFTER ALL the Wins by score......again, except in the A-V-C Table in which case it would be listed with the others by SCORE, Win or Loss!?

Confused yet?! :crazyeye:

Originally posted by EMan
Confused yet?! :crazyeye:
Just getting started!

@Conan: Good luck on your Sid endeavours be it this game or the next! :thumbsup:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr
(small r on end there to show how much od GRRRR I really went.. all of my breath)

It only goes to show that I know not nearly enough about this game to PLAY the sid level. I am a loser, I didnt know that in 900 AD we could actually teleport our armies back to home base. Even Hitler was unable to teleport a million men back from stalingrad in 1943!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRr

I seriously think that is cheating !!

You shouldn't really adopt a loser mentality.

Hey superslug !!!!

I dont care much for that tone. It means u (as well as me) think I am a loser.

However.. anyone daring enough to take on the Sid level is hardly a loser !!!! I won the Demigod, remember ?? (not only won, I even didnt want to win when I won)

Losing the Sid level is not a loss, it is a victory in itself. It shows the world that u got balls enough ( no matter how small they are) :crazyeye: to go to such a challenge, and it should be awarded. LOSING MENTALITY ??????????????????????

Get a grip man !!

Originally posted by ConanConQ
I dont care much for that tone. It means u (as well as me) think I am a loser.
You misunderstand what I meant and for that I apologize.

I wasn't trying to imply that you're a loser. And you do have my respect for beating the crap out of Demigod and even further respect for playing Sid.

What I should have said was "Don't adopt the mentality that you're losing." What my poorly phrased words were meant to convey were inspiration and confidence, not offense.

Sorry! Cool now?

(I do have advice for your game but I want to hold off until we understand each other on this point...)

I seriously think that is cheating !!

When in doubt about the rule, run it by Aeson - the score keeper and God of this forum.;) I think gifting a city to the AI is perfectly legal - whether the city contents the Great Library or your entire invasion force.

Sorry! Cool now?

I forgot to put a smiley in that message to imply NO OFFENSE taken :)
Allthough the message may have SOUNDED as if I was offended, I truly was not... It is COOL now, and it always was....

GET A GRIP MAN !! :)

lol

It is COOL now, and it always was....
A relief to know...

GET A GRIP MAN !! :)
No can do, partner. I'm too busy constantly refreshing my browser so I can reply faster to posts than anyone could possible believe...:D

Heheheheee....

Yes I must admit it as fast!!! :worship:

Now that we understand eachother...
Where's that feedback u promised me ? [dance]

Where's that feedback u promised me ? [dance]
First, it would be helpful to know what articles in the War Academy you've read thus far (so I don't waste wurds with what you already now). Don't rush, though, I won't be posting again for a number of hours. I fell asleep at my keyboarda again and only woke up because Winamp was scrolling through all the tracks an crazy and annoying speed. My nose must have been on the "B" key...

Can't play Civ from the bed, but Ill be damed if I'm going to make a mistake in my curent game...

Ever precious sleeep...

How come nobody bothers to tell me if i did well or not ?? :(

Reckon I'm not really qualified for much of an opinion. Still battling away at Sid.

What about a save game file? It is difficult to tell otherwise. Your military does seem a bit weak, considering there is guys with cavalry.

Well... eh,.. u see, my army couldnt swim, so it was reduced by half it's size. And the same with my galleys.. they were an excellent toy for target-practice by the Egyptians. My research is very slow, and I dont think I will have my own cavalry for at least 3 hundred years. The way I see it, I can only play to survive until there is an election with the United Nations.

Think I need to restrart.. lol

I think you may indeed have to start again. But I think you did well. And every new start comes with another lesson learned. I've started so many more games than I've finished! :lol:

You already know about being able to use just six Civs on a large map, and about always taking along a settler. About the settler there's another reason besides what Moonsinger described in detail - a "beachhead" town can help a lot. If you have enough culture that you can afford to take over enemy cities, and to leave troops in them, this is not so important. But when you can't afford to take over enemy cities then a city of your own helps a lot. Having a Barracks local to the fighting for quick healing is very important. It is also useful to have a local city with a harbor to connect luxuries and resources. And to convert leaders to armies. And finally, if you have cash to spare, each local city with a barracks can rush a new military unit every turn or two.

When possible I try to make my first landing on a coastal hill so that my settler can create a beachhead next turn and it will have the defense bonus from hills.

At Sid level all this turns out to be much harder than at lower levels. I've found out the hard way that a beachhead town at Sid level can be very difficult to establish :lol:

You did really well to persevere without horses and to get them. But your subsequent invasion of Egypt seems (in hindsight) premature and doomed. It looks like they were just too far ahead in tech as well as in power by the time you got there.

Something to keep in mind is that a full health Army in the field won't be targetted by the AI. Doesn't seem to matter what comprises the Army, what can attack it, or even how many units are in it. (haven't tested very extreme scenarios like 1x Warrior though)

In a city they will attack you.

This means you can have free offensives on other continents, move your bombardment stack next to the next target, or pillage everything an AI has without ever having to worry about being attacked. On your own continent, you could bottle up the AI SOD or blockade a chokepoint to be virtually invincible. Just keep the top defender for each stack as a green Army and block access to your cities instead of defending them.

Conan, in my humble opinion, the best thing you could probably do would be to step down to Deity. It would still be a step up from Demigod, and while the score factor would drop from x8 to x7, you'd face a much easier AI.

The reason I suggest this is that the real trick to HoF milk maps isn't just winning, it's winning big, i.e. taking over the whole map and milking the crap out of it for hundreds of turns.

Bamspeedy's Babylon Deity Settlers is virtually required reading. Setting up a couple of Settler factories can flood an area during the initial expansion. Use of Moonsinger's/Dianthus' Mapfinder also really helps, giving you lots of good start locations while you sleep.

Once you find a start you like, focus mainly on Settlers and Workers, only a few warriors. Get out of Despotism as quickly as possible (Republic vs Monarchy is an interesting choice). Once you've lost the tile penalty, expand even faster.

Then you'll come to a point where there's not much elsewhere to expand. Instead of immediately going to war, kick back and build Horsemen (disconnect Iron and Saltpeter from your network so you don't build Cavalry or Knights).

Once you have Military Traditiong (and preferably Steam Power) then reconnect your resources and upgrade your Horsemen to Cavalry.

Then is the oppurtune moment to whoop some ass!

One other thing: when playing on archipelago maps, if I don't wind up with Horses in my territory or start on an island, I load a new map. The few dozens of us playing HoF games probably ditch hundreds of maps a week, and for good reason.

While there is something conceivably to be learned from any starting position, and while practice makes perfect, the HoF isn't about being able to win from any starting location, it's about finding good/great starting locations and executing the right game plan on the right map.

I honestly think that half of what determines a good score is decided before 4000bc...

Originally posted by Aeson
Something to keep in mind is that a full health Army in the field won't be targetted by the AI.

OH SHOOT... When I Landed on the Egyptian continent, u mean to say I was virtually SAFE from attack ? My force consisted of more than 40 MW, 10 medieval, 10 pikes.. and 15 catapults. I felt very weak compared to what the AI had coming for me. I ran like I saw a ghost.. lol. WHAT A BUMMER

Thanks EVERYBODY for taking your time to answer. I feel like I have grown a thousand notches since I first visited this site and started making threads.
I never saw it possible to win more than an emperor level before... and now I have Sid on my list. WOW... however, I think I will follow the slugs :worship: advice and have a go on Diety before I kill myself in another Sid attempt.

Right now I am feeling confident that my monarch standard map game will be on the HOF with a respectable score. Check out superslugs thread "Who is working on HOF attempts w/o threads? " to see my incredible start.

(lol.. maybe you wont find it incredible at all.. You are all a bunch of maniacs in this game) :kill:

Top Bottom