Old Forest Progression

And it would make Fire I more valuable. Those forests standing in the way? Start a couple forest fires and burn 'em down.

Ancient forests aren't flammable.

As far as "aesthetics" goes...

I think a patchwork quilt of 5 different kinds of forest graphics in different stages of development would look pretty gross.

Ancient Forests do burn if kindled. They are just way less likely. (and sometimes just goes to burned forest from smoking, without catching flames. Number of fire-mana and water-mana also seems to play a big role. With equal sources 1-1 fires do burn but don't seem to spread in my territory. With 2-1 they don't seem to burn even...)

Did so in my current game. So unless my version is bugged thats a misimpression.

Well... you know, in real life forests don't actually get DENSER as they get older. Nature cleans up her messes by frequently cleansing the forest floor of brush and debris using fire. Fast burning fires that consume leaves & brush don't harm the trees and are actually necessary for some seed pods to germinate.

It was man's intervention in trying to prevent ALL forest fires that forests started to get overgrown which led to fires that burned so hot that they actually destroyed the forest.

Older forests are actually much more clear at the ground level due to lack of light for smaller plants to grow.

Well, that's enough reality. Bring on the skeletons and orcs!

Bamboo forests though are a whole different subject.

And it would make Fire I more valuable. Those forests standing in the way? Start a couple forest fires and burn 'em down.

And watch in horror as the invisible mistforms slaughter my people? Not again. :cry:

In some ways, I already play with impenetrable forests. Me being the paranoid guy, I avoid Ancient Forests at all costs, taking all sorts of crazy detours and only striking at the cities I can reach without traveling through those nasty trees. When I do have to, I always send one weak, sacrificial unit forward first, ready to have my big stack run away screaming. I feel kind of silly, given the low chance, but it only takes one Treant to really ruin your day.
Anyways, I can say from experience that impenetrable trees are not all that awesome. It forces an annoying amount of movement, makes only certain cities viable targets, and inhibits general game progression. If, as I noticed one poster describing, it occurs only in pockets, then the effect would be too minor to really do anything other than cause the occasional headache. Not sure if that's really the desired effect.

Top Bottom