1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Old timer's, what are your thoughts so far?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by wiggawuu, May 25, 2016.

1. ferros

ferros Chieftain

I'm an old Civ/Civ II player. I've been watching lots of streams of Civ6 but I just can't my interest up for the game. I don't feel any hype. It doesn't feel like a Civ-game, to me. I don't get the same feeling as Civ/Civ II/Civ III or Civ IV. Maybe it is different when you play it, maybe it isn't.

The one thing I know is that I wont buy Civ6, maybe in a few years when there are some expansions, the AI is fixed and they have changed things that aren't that good about the game, and the game is on sale. But before that I will stay away. Civ5 made me very cautious towards the Civ-franchise and Civ6 has done nothing to improve that.

Civ was my first computer game and I've always been hyped for new versions of the games, but that feeling is, sadly, gone now. I hope that it, one day, will return.

Jeckel likes this.
  2. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

How much did you play CiV before dismissing it? I was a skeptic but put in a lot of hours cause my best friend loves it. I can say that there's a fair bit of micromanagement in high level Great Library plays, in XP farming to build a warband of super units, in trying to synchronise Oxford and Rationalism's free techs with your research opening big ones like Radio or Atomic Theory or Internet, in Great Works culture games, in Beatlemania finishes, in winning World Projects, and in making a wide empire work.

There is also a lot of compulsory micromanaging when marching a large military force with 1upt restrictions, which is a result of bad design in pathfinding, unit flow, and UI. Even a few single units doing recon can necessitate micro - they'll march right up to an unknown hostile rather than ask for new orders when it comes into sight, so you've got to creep tile by tile if you don't want to gift enemies an accidental ambush. Again, not the sort of micro that makes you Sun Tzu, more the sort that restores the basic functionality we had in VI.

3. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

Also: at £70 for full game before expansions drop, I expect the Great Musicians to include John Lennon and Janis Joplin and 2Pac and Lemmy and Buddy Holly.

4. westyofoz

westyofoz Chieftain

I started with Civ 1
    I am mostly happy with the changes so far. The game mechanics are fresh, different with a touch of the familiar. Return to government is good. An expansion of religion is really interesting. I'm not keen on the builder units. AI seems decent. Pretty much very happy and optimistic, and here comes the but, I really do not like the graphics. I think it makes the game feel like one of those cartoonish facebook games and the fog of war, ugh.

5. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

First played civ 1, Then when I went to go and buy civ, civ 2 was already released, so bought that instead :D.

I have not bought 6 yet. I will do, but am slightly against pre ordering. And after 5 and BE I feel a bit burned.

In my opinion 4 is best. 5 at release was flawed. Only after 2 expansions can it rightly set itself on a level with 4.

As for 6, from what I have seen I think it's encouraging. It looks in better shape than 5. What I really wanted to do in this post is cast an observation:

When new strategy games are released, they are obviously played by people who played the previous title. Those people employ almost identical, or at least very similar tactics to those they employed in the previous game. When they don't work, they get frustrated and consider the game broken. Some of the people who also boarded the hype train let their minds get carried away and end up at a very different place to where the game actually is. This is also a bit silly in my view (see no mans sky for more).

What's my point? My point is that civ 6 should be treated as an individual game in its own right. And because of that snap judgements now are probably a bit skew. And that includes the good and bad. I think increasingly with strategy games you have to appreciate the game cycle much more. Therefore I have much more sympathy with the view of waiting a bit. £50 is a lot to ask for a game. And I would expect perfection. But perfection in the case of a game like civ is not achieveable, so therefore probably worth waiting a bit.

It just seems that when a big franchise releases these days, you have two very vocal groups. Complete fanboys on one side, and harsh critics on the other. Cue the subsequent 10s and 0s on metacritic.;)

6. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Played all the Civs, three of the Call to Powers, SMAC, Alpha Centauri, Master of Magic, Endless Legend, Master or Orion 1, 2, and CtS, and GalCivs 1 and 2.

I liked nearly all the Civs. I liked IV just fine, but I don't have the rose-tinted glasses many veterans have. When that game released, the AI was so bad you'd have undeveloped land in the 1600s. Large tracts of undeveloped land. It simply didn't know how to use its workers, so it was trivial to defeat even at the highest levels. Even after a few patches, the unit balance and SoDs were all over the place in terms of balance - a lot like Civ V, actually. Civ IV and Civ V were very similar. Arguably, Civ V matured quicker, because it was mostly serviceable after Gods and Kings, whereas IV only really became good after Beyond the Sword. Even then the diplo of the AI was so manipulable that the higher setting was basically just a diplo game to be able to use the AI advantages in your favor. It's one of the chief reasons why tech trading isn't in Civ anymore. Civ IV showed us how truly broken it was.

I've played about 6-7 hours of Civ 6. I like what I see. It's the most fully fleshed out Civ at release. It's so fully-featured that it's actually kind of intimidating. I'm used to the Civs ramping up over two expansions. Here, they hit you with everything right out the gate and then some. This ain't no simple game. It's arguably the most complex building game out of all the Civs to date. The graphics reflect that. Some people say that they're simple. They are. They're supposed to be, because they're iconographic representations of actual functional data. You can tell what any city is like and how it works just by looking at the tile improvements and districts. You don't need to see a Building List. It's all on the map in graphical form. There isn't a City View. You don't need it. All the information is on the overland map.

I confess that I'm also a fan of Civ Revolutions. That's a much simpler game that recalls Civ 1. Some ideas in Civ Rev are in Civ 6, but all to the better. Armies and Corps are limited same-unit-stacking. It's kind of like Civ Rev. Civ Rev actually implemented it a bit like it was in Civ 3: Warlords, and Civ Rev showed that it wasn't as broken as feared. Civ 6's Army is even less intimidating than that, so you still stand a chance against an army, but there's a benefit to it, too, if you have that many hammers.

Roads are Civ Rev-ish. Civ Rev does away with building roads as consuming busy-work. You buy roads from a menu, then it's built. It's a great idea. Civ6 kind of does it by assigning road-work to Trader units - like a trade unit and auto-road worker in one. You can eventually ad hoc roads with Military Engineers. Roads are different in Civ6 in that they DON'T add movement points to any unit. They just allow your unit to move normally over difficult terrain. Handy over Jungle and Hills. Less useful over Plains and Desert.

On the whole it's actually an incremental improvement over Civ:BE, building on ideas in the much-maligned side-sequel to Civ V, adding some ideas from Civ Rev and some from Endless Legend and Magus. If I make it sound boring, let me be clear that it's not. I think it's the best Civ at launch I've ever played.

Chinese American and MrRadar like this.
  7. Photi

Photi Governor

i've played them all except 5, liking 6 so far after 2-3 hours of play. will have more to say later maybe, but what's up with no number pad movement? I may have to find a way to turn that settler lens off, i find it distracting and a bit of a killjoy on city placement planning. Not liking the sketch map after exploring then leaving an area, takes away from the beauty

Chinese American likes this.