Old timer's, what are your thoughts so far?

and there a couple UI and hotkey issues that they seem completely oblivious about (wait, unit autocycle, game setup). Some of the latter are especially galling since they were in civ games before.

Sadly a trend in ALL software these days, UI/UX suffers a lot on desktop and on mobile.

Mostly the biggest problem for the game at the moment is their presentation of it. The various youtubers show it off more competently (and highlight what is good about the game) far better than their spokesteam.

Very true!

still, though I probably won't play at launch, I'm excited to be able to play in the coming months and overall I like what I see! Also a player of CivI, CivII, Call to Power, CivIII, CivIV and CivV..

My thoughts are... you should learn how to spell "old timers."

It is the same with every Internet forum. People do not know the difference between s' and 's, then and than, lose and loose. It begins to be really pathetic when native speakers -and people full of their greatness- make those mistakes.

For me, lose and loose is terribly annoying, but anyone making those mistakes is usually too dense to improve, hence the attempts to correct them are futile.

I still think Civ IV will be my favorite gameplay mechanic wise, but I'm hopeful Civ VI's mechanics at least provide something deep and interesting. What I want, and what I did not see in Civ V, were interesting decisions every turn.

Civ IV allowed lots of ways to fine-tune your domestic policy (do I give up slavery now or do I really need to whip out that last military unit?) and wheel-and-deal in foreign policy (Genghis wants me to pay him money, I can afford to do this, but perhaps I should decline and take him on myself? Do I have the military strength to do this? What if I whip out that last military unit? How about then? And could I get Mansa to give me Rifling so I have a better chance long-term? Maybe Augustus would be interested in warring with Genghis?).

Civ VI's diplomatic system is likely not up to snuff, but hopefully it'll at least be fun. I'm most looking forward to the music and hearing the new leader lines.

Civ 4 will be hard to beat, but Civ 6 really looks like it will be able to do it. I was very skeptical first when I saw the cartoon graphics, but now that I have seen more of the game I'm super impressed.
Fantastic work from the devs.

I have been playing Civ games since Civ1 on the Amiga 500.
What are my thoughts on Civ6 ? Well I have few concerns (graphics, UI, AI) but overall it looks promising so far.

I have been playing since civ2 around '97. I love and still play civ4. I pre-ordered civ5 and put it down after a couple of weeks. Complete disappointment.

With 6, I have a lot of hopes at this point. I really, really want to like it. I haven't pre-ordered this one. I refuse to pre-order any more. It looks fantastic to me and have been watching a lot of let's play. It definitely looks interesting. Looks like a lot of different decisions to make and the leaders have more unique gameplay which I like.

We shall see......

I started playing Civ1 when I was 8 year old and couldn't understand any english. My sister helped me translate a bit, but she couldn't understand much either :-D. I did not know how to found new cities for a long time, and then I did not know how to properly manage it, I could not manage to win games on chieftain level, but I had sooooo much fun and it was soooooo interesting!

Civ4 was the best in the series hands down, followed by Civ2. 6 being an even number once again gives me a bit of hope, but im very skeptical seeing how much it looks like civ5, and how the AI performs and uncertainty of human challenge in online multiplayer.

Started with the original, back when I was in my 30s. Liked II and III much better, with IV being the best. But to be fair, it was the mods of IV, particularly Fall from Heaven, which I feel transcend all other computer gaming by a very long distance.

Steam says I have played over 1200 hours of V, which is odd, because I feel like I set it aside for long stretches at a time. It seemed to me that the game lacked the fun factor once the settlement phase was complete, that terrain was too equalized so that one game was much like the next, and, of course, that the AI was so inept (especially at tactical) that it felt like nothing really mattered that much.

I like everything I see about VI, with the minor exception of the melee promotion tree. City States finally look like a fun and interesting part of the game. (I don't think that this aspect of VI has really gotten a lot of attention on these boards.) Districts sound like they ought to help gameplay a ton. AI opponents appear to be well differentiated. And it looks to me like the AI has some paths to putting pressure on you, even if they can't compete in tactical warfare. Obviously, we will see for real on Friday, but I'm very optimistic.

It is the same with every Internet forum. People do not know the difference between s' and 's, then and than, lose and loose. It begins to be really pathetic when native speakers -and people full of their greatness- make those mistakes.

For me, lose and loose is terribly annoying, but anyone making those mistakes is usually too dense to improve, hence the attempts to correct them are futile.

Agreed. I didn't post it to correct him so much as to amuse "old timers," a.k.a. adults, who can spell. I also hoped to amuse younger people who not only do not care about spelling, but find it quaint (to put it mildly) if you do care. Some find it a badge of honor to militantly abuse people who can spell -- it's another symptom of the wave of anti-intellectualism that is unfortunately sweeping the uneducated classes (and those who prey upon them for a living, like Fox News et al).

Or perhaps spelling doesn't really matter and I'm just a sad fussbudget.

Agreed. I didn't post it to correct him so much as to amuse "old timers," a.k.a. adults, who can spell. I also hoped to amuse younger people who not only do not care about spelling, but find it quaint (to put it mildly) if you do care. Some find it a badge of honor to militantly abuse people who can spell -- it's another symptom of the wave of anti-intellectualism that is unfortunately sweeping the uneducated classes (and those who prey upon them for a living, like Fox News et al).

Or perhaps spelling doesn't really matter and I'm just a sad fussbudget.

i could care less about this
dammit-how can anyone not know the saying should be i couldn't care less....

I started with Civ 1 (lol, floppy disks) in 1992? 1993? Whatever.

I've loved every Civ game to come out, and have no doubt that I will love this one as well.

I have been playing since Civ 1 and have played every once since.

My feelings for Civ 6:

I like some of the new systems, and like that it doesn't seem like half a game that will need major DLC to make whole.

I do feel it's a graphical downgrade, but know this is just my personal feeling and that graphics are subjective.

Last edited:
I sincerely believe you lost it there and please remind me to correct you whenever you visit a non-English forum and make spelling and grammar mistakes. Which brings me to how far the Civilization franchise has stretched since I first played Civ on an amazing IBM PS/2. From there on games received attention before relaese on forums and over the years nothing has changed on forums: people who cry the loudest before even playing the game are never seen or heard from again once they have the game.

What triggers people to cry loud in advance? A need to be heard, too much time on hands, trolling? Most likely it's fear of the unknown or difficulty understanding the changes and new features. I cannot say that I never fell for that approach too and when you grow older you laugh about the far cries. Eventually you try to get yourself informed before crying and with Civ6 I must say that was really possible. The pre-play videos on Youtube, early attempts to compose a Wiki and mature posts overhere really shaped my expectations. Overall I have the idea that Civ6 truly re-invented parts of its core, just take housing which you always took for granted. I'm very curious to see how intuitive districts turn out and if amenities aren't easily overlooked when you expand your empire. The graphics please me too and I really hope the proper hooks for 3D art are supported.

I have been playing since Civ 1 and have played every once since.

My feelings for Civ 6:

I like some of the new systems, and like that it doesn't seem like half a game that will need major DLC to make whole.

I do feel it's a graphical downgrade, but know this is just my personal feel and that graphics are subjective.
Graphics aren't subjective. They're quite measurable (with vertices, pixels, draw distances and frame rates and all of that), and VI's are quite superior to V's.
Art Styles are subjective, and are far more likely what your personal feelings are about.

I played Civ I while in College. Civ II is where I spent most of my time. I've played every version since and enjoyed each one. I've not really been up to date on what's new with the new release, but no matter to me, I'm looking forward to this Civ VI regardless. With a toddler and 2nd grader, I just hope I can find the time for "one more turn" with Civ VI.

The pre-play videos on Youtube, early attempts to compose a Wiki and mature posts overhere really shaped my expectations. Overall I have the idea that Civ6 truly re-invented parts of its core, just take housing which you always took for granted. I'm very curious to see how intuitive districts turn out and if amenities aren't easily overlooked when you expand your empire. The graphics please me too and I really hope the proper hooks for 3D art are supported.

Housing has been done before....they just have it a new name (and apparently fooled you by it). In Civ 2 there were hard-caps (can't grow beyond 6 without an aqueduct, for example). Civ 4 still, as usual, had the most elegant system: health. The nice thing about health was how granular it was. It affected your growth and you could allow it to do so, or you could prioritise dealing with it. Both were legitimate options, depending on the circumstance. Civ 5 ripped out the granular for the concrete, the nuanced for the blunt. Civ 6 looks better, but the simplistic housing cap and it's impact on growth is in the Civ 5 mould.

Having unhealth take away food was perfect and highly adaptable. The housing cap, and especially its effect on growth, is less adaptable, non-linear/more abrupt, and also arbitrary. This was true of almost all of Civ 5's malluses, especially in vanilla where being at -1 unhappy was exactly, mathematically identical to being -3 or even -8 (iirc).

Like many, been playing since Civ 1, so far i like what civ 6 brings compared to civ 5, which felt like it was empty and missing features when it was released. The majority of the systems in 4 and 5 are in 6 at release, in some form, although they have changed to some extent. The biggest issue i see is the same as many others, the AI does not appear to be functioning very well which will result in lower quality gameplay.

I started with Civ 1 in 1991 or 1992 when I was about 12 and have loved 1 though 4 with four being my absolute favorite. Wanting to mod 4 was what led to my professional life as a programmer, so I have Civ to thank for helping figure out what I wanted to do with my life.

That said, I hate 5 with a passion. From the decision to introduce 1upt to intentionally rehiding all important information (especially as related to diplomacy) to dropping Python for Lua to integrating Steam with no non-Steam option, the entire design from top to bottom was a downgrade from 4. It is the first Civ I didn't buy on day one and after playing some at a friends house it is the first Civ that I still refuse to waste money on.

Civ 6, while it keeps quite a few of the design decisions that I despise, namely 1upt and Steam, and introduces some new ones (no railroads or worker units? Really?), it does do what 5 didn't and incorporates quite a few new mechanics that seem interesting. I won't be buying on day one, but after I try it out at my friends house who did pre-order, I may think about buying it if the new stuff makes up for the flaws, though I'll probably wait until at least the first expansion drops.

I played Civilization I on my old Amiga 500 back in the day (which required a special kind of patience), and have played every version + expansion since. It's too early for me to say if Civilization VI has lost any of that magical Civ feeling (what is that anyway?), simply because I have only watched endless streams and YouTube videos.

However, I liked Civilization V despite its flaws so I'm pretty sure I will enjoy myself here too. I wished they didn't make the leaders so cartoony and fluffy though.

Top Bottom