Old World Monthly Challenge - September '22 - Save and Questions

Just finished this game with a point win at turn 167, so really bad - but I won :). Is there any kind of result you want to see, the completed save file?
If you could attach your finishing save to your post would be appreciated.

EDIT: updated for actually making sense

Last edited:
I started this yesterday. Could be a bit tight but probably will have time to finish it.

Spoiler Question for Mapmaker based on 20 turns of play :
Is there supposed to be a relatively high amount of tundra? A lot of areas that I would have expected to be sand are tundra, and I haven't found any sand. Wondering if it's supposed to be like that or if something's going on with the update.

Not sure what you are seeing in your game, but in mine (with all the updates)...there are very few 'tundra tiles' up north.
The 'tundra tiles' are all white, curious if you are mistaking the 'scrub tiles' for them.
Would be easy to do so based on there appearance per other similar games. (tool tipping, of course, clears that up)

so i have until the 3rd to post on this thread with my save, correct? the 22nd date is for what then?? posting you're write-ups??

i think i squeaked in, just like school times

turn 179 vp by the skins of my teeth. full report to come.

Attachments

• EgyptTurn179pholkwin.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 13
Here's what I meant by the tundra:

Spoiler Tundra :

1664745319993.png

The area by the barbarians is one of several curious-looking tundra sites; the city site northeast of Waset also has a few tundra tiles. They're definitely tundra according to the tooltips.

I'm playing the GOG version, which might be relevant. Or perhaps those are really supposed to be tundra tiles, I'd just never seen so much tundra near a city site before.

Drum roll please.......

The results of the inaugural CivFanatics Old World Challenge are as follows

A tightly contested fight for the medals with Jimmy Thunder edging out Heathcliff and Solver. Thanks everyone for taking part and we'll do it all again soon.

@bonfireg I got your save too late to include in the table but you are an honourable 4th place.

Thanks Ozbenno for making it happen. What an honour to be part of the first GOTM! Looking forward to many many more :)

Big shout out to Solver and the effort they put into the game write up! That is a fantastic resource for players.

We perhaps should figure out a wider pool of candidates who are eligible to create games, though. In the Civ3 GOTM sub-forum, we have a calendar/schedule showing who is creating which games. As can be seen the instructions for doing so are well-defined.

It is a little easier in Civ3, with its lack of updates, since you could create a game months ahead of when it would be played. But it spreads the work out, e.g. in 2022 there were 8 Civ3 GOTMs (2 per quarter), and they were created by 4 people, an average of 2 games per person per year.

I'll be able to get a game out for November. If anyone volunteers to do a December game, that would be fine.
Looking forward to the Nov game. In terms of Gotm settings, it might also be good to consider 'competitive mode' to reduce the swingy impact of superhero leaders.

Top Bottom