Old World Monthly Challenge

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
We thought we might set up an Old World Monthly Challenge here at CFC to increase involvement here and also as a means for players to share tips and tricks in a new way. We would be encouraging participants to provide write ups of their games for others to get a sense of how the game progressed.

So we have a few questions to pose to you all :)

Would you be interested in taking part?
Would you prefer everyone playing from the same starting save (like the Civ GOTMs) or generating your own save using a set of defined conditions (like the Civ HOF)?
Would you prefer a straight fastest victory type of game or something different where you're rewarded for particular actions (playing as the Romans you get bonus points for capturing cities, playing as the Greeks/Egyptians you get bonus points for building wonders)?
What else would you like to see?

I would be interested in participating. :thumbsup:

Same starting save is my preference. The thing I love most about GOTM is that I read others comments on how they approached their game, and learned quite a bit from comparing to my own moves. Also gave me the ability to replay games as others approached it, as a way to learn better strategy.

Straight Fastest victory would be best for player comparison. I liked the preferred victory type for Civ VI GOTM, but can't see how you could do that so easy with OW, as in the games I have played so far it is more dependent on events luck and when wars start. If you wanted to add bonus points for specific actions, that is ok with me but might be more complicated in calculating result scores.

Only other thing I would mention is I didn't like the focused questions from the individual Civ VI GOTM's forums. Would rather just see writeups on different people's approaches and strategies and how successful people were at getting them.

I think in the in-game Hall of Fame, games are sorted by Legitimacy. So that could also be an option, taking into account how much one did in the game without details of what exactly.

Would you be interested in taking part?
Would you prefer everyone playing from the same starting save (like the Civ GOTMs) or generating your own save using a set of defined conditions (like the Civ HOF)?
Would you prefer a straight fastest victory type of game or something different where you're rewarded for particular actions (playing as the Romans you get bonus points for capturing cities, playing as the Greeks/Egyptians you get bonus points for building wonders)?
What else would you like to see?
Yes, yes, and yes.

I think there should be like a fastest victory type b/c there will definitely be the community there for that, i think, here on this site. I also think there is the community for longer form reports and rp writeups, as well. I think if the space is provided for people to do longer write-ups with spoiler conditions, people would take advantage of it. I would definitely want to participate in that way; not so much on the fastest win. Could even do fastest win by type, plus a community award for write-ups depending on interest/partic.

also, i think most games would probably be fastest win with variants (if ya need ideas on wacky variants, i know a guy ;) ) as that wouldn't require too much set-up, but if every season or so maybe, one of the games had some of those special scoring conditions, that would be fun.

Would love to see this.

Pref for same starting save (though perhaps with pick later leader / nation so folks can adapt starting strategies)
Fastest victory probably is good as a default

Definitely would love to have folks write-up and share what they did

more than anything, there's a line to walk with Old World more than other games as random narrative events are a large part of the game.

it would be nice if a dev ( :cough: @Dale @Solver :cough: ) sees this or if you guys can talk with them about how events are 'determined.' would you and i, if we made the exact same decisions, get the exact same events? finding out that answer would probably be a help for you as moderator and the players for input purposes

also :banana: [idk what song he's listening to, but that mofo slaps]

Yes, the game is deterministic. Given the same initial seed, it will play out in exactly the same way if you take the same decisions.

Yes, the game is deterministic. Given the same initial seed, it will play out in exactly the same way if you take the same decisions.
ty sir!

i think that makes for a much more interesting and less RNGy GOTM.

edit: also, oz, hope you're feeling better :thumbsup:

Reactions: PiR
OK, thanks everyone for their input. It was unanimous to play from the same save, so that's a given. Fastest victory seems the favourite option but not unanimous. We might start out with this as the option but (depending on how things progress) change it from time to time.

What about difficulty, other map/game settings? Want the game to be challenging but not daunting.

I'm going to start playing around with a starting save to see what is needed from that side of the equation, so getting close(r).....:rolleyes:

I would love to see both. A monthly challenge game similar to GOTM for Civ...and a HOF style challenge of ticking off all the settings over several games.

For difficulty, I've won on The Strong and am winning on The Noble currently. I don't really know which difficulty level I should be scared of yet, like Deity in Civ, but would probably try whatever is put out there. Might end quickly on the highest difficulty though!

No real preference on map, something that looks interesting I suppose...

I would love to play Old World monthly challenges. I used to be active on here for Civ4 gotm and hof.

What about no "undo" for the monthly challenge games?

Is there any way to start the game with a set of 10 (or more) ambitions? That would be an interesting race victory condition.

I can do OK on Glorious/Magnificent but i normally keep ai normal (without ai advantage/advanced development/raging barbs).

i also think a GOTM where we have predetermined ambitions would be interesting to see.

I'd be seriously interested but I am not certain I will have the necessary time - the write-up will treble the play time, but if I can find a day once a month I would love to see this

Top Bottom