1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

On the organization of the Creation & Customization forum

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by Machiavelli24, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I'm broadly in agreement with Machiavelli, with only two minor changes

1) Merge unreleased mods with released mods rather than general discussion. That would work by having threads for unreleased mods in the main forum part of the "Download and play/Mods" section, while released mods are in one of the subsubforums of this sub forum.

2) Probably need a few more subsubforums than the above. I'd split the latter into "Rule changes" and "Total conversions" at least. Looking at the forum now, having a UI/graphical only changes might be worthwhile.

2. Machiavelli24

Machiavelli24 Mod creator

That is my preference as well. It is how it is organized in the Beyond Earth forum. I presented it in a simplified structure because I wanted the consensus option to be as streamlined and minimalist as possible.

In the Released mods section. It would be a forum that allowed posts with sub-levels (ei: Civilizations, Maps, Projects) that also allowed posts.

3. albie_123

albie_123 Modding In Secret

Sounds good, although keep in mind the more subforums there are, the less "busy" the forums will look, which leads to a feedback loop of disinterest.

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Thanks Machiavelli24

I still think at least one more category is needed, using your summary:

• Mod creation help
    • Tutorials & References
    • Released Mods
      • Civilizations & Leaders
      • Maps & Scripts
      • Projects/Total Conversions
      • Individual Components
    • Unreleased Mods
    • Utilities, Code Snippets & Art Asset

"Individual Components" because every resource in the download database will generate a thread in one of the "Released Mods" sections, and we could have "collections" (a resource in the download section without a link to a file but referring to a mega-thread) while keeping all its components in a sub section to prevent cluttering the main section.

Olleus likes this.
  5. Machiavelli24

I've updated the first post with the "Individual Components" sub section Gedemon described.

I've been observe how the current customization & creation forum is being used and have noticed that this is a common use-case. I've added a section for "requests & ideas" as well.

6. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

We're starting to get more utilities for modders...any chance well see an update to the subforum organization soon to give homes to some of these resources?

7. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I'd really like to know what we can really do with civ6 modding before submitting the proposed structure to the admin (the actual implementation of modart seems to send us 10 years back...), but I suppose we could add one section for tools to the current structure if it's needed...

8. Machiavelli24

There is already one. The "Utilities, Code Snippets, etc" section exists for those.

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

yes, I mean the current temporary structure.

10. MyopicCat

MyopicCat Chieftain

I understand that there is reason to wait in order to get the restructure right so it lasts several years for the expected lifetime of Civ 6. That said though, I really wish we could implement some of the changes NOW. I've posted a few times during the past month, and all my posts have felt awkward and misplaced. I tried posting a fairly technical question to the main Creation & Customization forum and got zero replies. This sort of thing is really hurting my modding efforts. I eventually managed to figure it out myself, but someone with less OCD than me would have packed up and left by now.

At the very least, could we get started on the "Mod creation help" subforum? That subforum seems fine no matter what happens with Civ in the near future. It's also especially useful right now since it seems Firaxis won't give us a SDK for Christmas. In times like this modders really need to stick together and help each other, and a dedicated forum could help get that team spirit going.

11. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

We're discussing about implementing something, we'll adapt after the tools are out.

12. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Thanks to Ainwood the new structure in OP has been applied, I will move some threads around, send me a PM (or report the first post of your thread) if you think it was moved in a section it should not be in.

13. Machiavelli24

Thanks for implementing the new structure. Once the SDK is released I expect the flood gates to open with respect to mod making. CivFanatics will be ready to serve those looking to play just one more turn of Civilization 6.

I've created a thread in the main area that is intended to help newcomers orient themselves to the new structure of the forum. Given how many first time posters would apologetically ask if they were posting in the right location in the Civ5 forum I'm hoping that thread will make the community less intimidating.

14. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes: I was a frequent browser of the Civ 5 C&C forums and I love how, in the New Civilizations sub-forum, every modder has their own thread where they post all their creations. But I've noticed so far in the Civ 6 Civilizations & Leaders sub-forum, every time a modder releases a new mod, they start a new thread for it. So instead of having User X posting all his/her Civs and Leaders in, say, "User X's Civs & Leaders collection," instead all User X's mods are scattered throughout the sub-forum. So far the only people I've seen with a dedicated mod collection thread are the ones who released mods for Civ 5.

Is this the desired method? Should we encourage modders to combine their releases into unified threads to A) make them easier to find and B) neaten up the forum so it's not as cluttered? Am I just overreacting and need to go lie down and take my meds?

15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

The resources manager works this way (creating a new thread for each resource) and we can't change it, but nothing prevent modders to also create a resource in the actual Civilizations & Leaders sub-forum section (it's now possible without attaching a file IIRC) to reference all their civilizations

Or in the main "Released Mods" section as "modpack", or maybe we can discuss the possibility of a new subsection for civilization packs if it seems required, the resource manager behavior (one resource = one thread) is fixed, but we can adapt the structure around to what's best for modders and users.

And already created threads can also be moved anywhere of course.

16. Zoythrus

Zoythrus Chieftain

Didn't the Civ5 modding forum have a special subforum for LUA help, as opposed to general help? Do you think that we can have a dedicated LUA subforum?

I feel it'd give aspiring LUA users like myself a good place to ask technical questions and get relevant feedback, instead of getting lost in the flood of XML/Art/general design questions.

17. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I posted a thread in Requests and Ideas asking for a discussion on Civ ideas, but looking into the top page it seems there isn't as many people posting in the board as in C&C proper. If I rephrased the discussion/request thread could I get it moved? Would there be a better way to go about this? I haven't really started threads on this site before so I'm unsure of the etiquette about these things.

Thank you.

18. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator