One City Challenge

Yes, it's 5 percent per "copy" of a building that exists, so if you have a total of 5 cities all with building X then you have a chance of 25% total.

Of course only one building quest per turn can trigger, so that reduces the "actual" chance a bit. If multiple buildings have a chance to trigger the system will go through all buildings one by one, starting at the very top of the table (where the cheap buildings are) and then going down until one triggers (or the end is reached).

Interestingly, Firaxis has just added the BERT-building quests to the very end of the table, so any of the new buildings are the least likely to trigger if multiple building quests can trigger.

you could use the "Trigger Quest Immediately" mod

whilst there are no GotM for Civ:BE, if/when there is one such mods would be illegal for use.

Also thanks for the info Ryika :)

Tried this in a PVP match where 2 players dogpiled my lone city with armies.
Needless to say they lost. Hard.
The ability to cut through affinity like butter is very broken and the ONLY way you will keep up against rapid expanding enemies.
With that said however the spy artifact didn't seem to function in multiplayer. I think that is a bug but due to the rarity of PVP games, its hard to test.

I found the pieces and make the artifact before building my spy agency, not sure if it was because of being in multiplayer or assembling before the agency was built, but figured I would note that issue.

T40 Spy agency is fairly lucky in my experience. The fastest I was able to get it in my games is turn 36, but the average is closer to 50, with smth like 60 in the worst cases (standard map, should be more difficult on small ones).

Yeah. I also re-rolled this map until I had titanium, which helps a lot. :) Cheating, yes, but it was just an OCC trial game.

Yes, it's 5 percent per "copy" of a building that exists, so if you have a total of 5 cities all with building X then you have a chance of 25% total.

Nice. Thanks. ;)

I just did one on Apollo. Sort of optimized the start conditions, though. I did all water starts, tiny islands, quick, small, Polystralia. Artists, Pioneering, Electromagentic.

My start build order was relic, then five explorers. Popped only derelict settlements and progenitor ruins to start (for population and affinity).

I did engineering and chemistry for titanium and petroleum locations. Then beelined to get first the stellar codex (to put sentinels over the stations) and then to the auger. Then researched everything to do old school purity farms.

Got the 30 science for explorers, then the 3 expeditions. Then beelined to the trade with station enhancer in industry.

Honestly, it was not that hard. Built a bunch of gunboats for defense.

Won an emancipation victory in the 200's. I had NO firaxite and no floatstone, BTW. Used spies at the end so I could build prime golems for the gate. I was getting like 500 ept, and built up about 20,000 by the time the gate was built, so I just bought the golems and replaced dead gunboats and tacjets by buying.

The reality is that the crazy energy that Humatra can do with five stations or so makes everything kind of trivial. I bought most of the improvements, built wonders, and left it on science production a lot. The AI is too dumb to take out much more than one or two gunboats at a time, and I always had the energy available to simply rush a new one. I really did not make an effort to play optimally.

Finally got around to trying an OCC game with ARC. Yeah, it's crazy!

Whilst I couldn't put a dent in Olodune's ridiculously quick T147 win from last November, I managed a decent T178 Emancipation Victory on Apollo with Marvels disabled.

Spoiler :

The Electromagnetic scanner is key to this I think as the sheer number of free affinity points did me a big favour. Lucking into Soul Discerner Training was another stroke of luck!

I could have got the time down even quicker if it wasn't for Brasilia who insisted on attacking me every so often and causing headaches.

It's very hard to gain the AI's respect in this format and it leads to some pretty rough diplomatic situations.

Overall a very fun strategy though. Try it out if you haven't already!

This is a great thread, and it inspired me to have a try at the One City Challenge as well.

I have just completed a Promised Land victory in 174 turns.

The settings were:

Rising Tide
Apollo/Standard Map Size/Standard Speed
ARC
Refugees (+2 food)
Tectonic Scanner (can see resources)
Machinery (start with a worker)
Protean/Fungal/Low Water Level
World Age: 5 billion years
Legendary Start
8 sponsors in total
All victory conditions on
New Random Seed
Quick combat/Quick movement

I chose a land-locked city site. I had titanium only 4 hexes away, but no petroleum (I had to buy two of these on the black market to get the required lasercom satellite up later in the game).

For Virtues, I took the path: Prosperity:Frugality, Knowledge:Foresight, Prosperity:Workforce Initiative, Prosperity:pathfinders, Industry: Labour Logisitics, Industry:Commoditization, Industry:Investment and then down the centre of the Might tree.

For Science, the path was: Ecology, Computing, Communications, Pioneering, Physics, Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics... by the end of the game, almost every branch node technology was known, in addition to a bunch of leaf node ones as well.

The initial build order was: Old Earth Relic, 2 Explorers, Vivarium, 1 Explorer, Spy Agency, Trade Depot, Trade Convoy, Network, Drone Command, Clinic, Feedsite Hub, ...

For tile improvements I just used farms, mines, paddocks and plantations; I never needed to use any of the advanced improvements like Manufacturies, Academies or Biowells.

I used just the 2 workers (the one I started with and the free one from the early virtue). I used just the three explorers built early on (not replacing them when they got picked off by warring AIs later in the game).

I farmed the goodie pods for science and as many artifacts as possible, completing the build recipes for Drone Command, Xenomass Bath House, Frontier Stadium and Ground-Penetrating LIDAR (+100% Expedition Speed) fairly early on. Later on, I just handed in the artifacts one at a time for science, production and/or culture boosts when needed.

The game got off to a fast start, in that I completed the Spy Agency on turn 33. However, it took quite some time for the quests to trigger giving the additional spies ... my 4th spy actually came from the Culper Cell quest, and I didn't get the 6th and 7th until really quite late.

Despite getting the ARC innate ability to Rank III and getting the artifact combination to obtain Soul-Discerner Training (+25% Covert Ops Speed) very early on, I never saw the number of turns per science gain drop below 5 turns even when I had seven top-rank spies, so I do not know how anyone gets the "4 turns" thing reported earlier on this thread. Perhaps something I have never found out? Or perhaps something that has been patched? Maybe someone knows...

The AIs complained at me and even went to war with me numerous times, but with one exception did not actually attack my one city, and even that one exception was a poor attempt, so I needed to build very few military units throughout the game. Of course, I was dead last on the scoreboard almost from start to end, but that doesn't matter I know.

I suspect I could do slightly better than 174 turns, especially if I had got those quest spies 20-30 turns earlier, but probably not that much faster, but who knows.

Even after the goodie pod farming was completed, I continued to reload as needed, to prevent spies from dieing! Some do not like this playstyle choice, but it is mine and I just consider it part of the challenge; however, I provide this information for comparison purposes for others.

Anyway, it was a fun challenge, I'd recommend it to others who want to give it a crack!

After a couple of failed efforts, I have managed to improve on the previous attempt:

- Completed the Promised Land victory in 162 turns.

In most ways, the attempt had the same setup as the 174 turn victory described above.
The main differences were:

- Used Lush biome instead of Fungal biome, which meant more food, which helped.
- The starting location had Petroleum as well as Titanium within 3 hexes.
- Obtained spies 6 and 7 considerably earlier.
- Purchasing "Political/Subtle Rank 1" (which I somehow missed the existence of in the earlier attempt!) reduced the time for stealing science from 5 to 4 turns.

The key milestones (by turn number) were as follows:

23) Completed Science=Computing
34) Built=Spy Agency
54) Purchase ARC Ability III
56) Artifacts=Soul-Discerner Training (+25% Covert Ops Speed)
61) Artifacts=Ground-Penetrating LIDAR (+100% Expedition Speed)
63) Purchase: Political/Subtle Rank 1
66) [gained spy number 5 from Command Centre]
70) [gained spy number 6 from Feedsite Hub]
82) [gained spy number 7 from Cel Cradle]
117) Affinity: Purity 15
117) Started Building Exodus Gate
142) Built=Exodus Gate
162) Promised Land Victory

You know, I doubt I can beat this. Well, at least, I doubt I will try, I've had enough of the challenge now. :)

========================

Full details (at least to turn 80, after that I stopped recording the fine details):

One City Challenge notes
========================

Apollo/Standard/Standard
ARC
Refugees (+2 food)
Tectonic Scanner (can see resources)
Machinery (start with a worker)
Protean/Lush/Low Water Level
World Age: 5 billion years
Legendary Start
8 sponsors in total
All victory conditions on
New Random Seed
Quick combat/Quick movement

Choose Land-locked city
- Titanium within 3 hexes
- Petroleum within 3 hexes

0) Virtue=Prosperity:Frugality
6) Virtue=Prosperity:Workforce Initiative
7) Build=Old Earth Relic
8) Virtue=Knowledge:Foresight
13) Science=Ecology
13) Build=Explorer2
16) Artifacts=Drone Command
16) Virtue=Prosperity:pathfinders
18) Build=Explorer3
19) Virtue=Industry:Labour Logistics
19) Artifacts=Frontier Stadium
22) Virtue=Industry:Commoditization
22) Artifacts=Xenomass Bath House
23) Science=Computing
24) Build=Vivarium
30) Science=Chemistry
34) Build=Spy Agency
34) Science=Physics
34) Affinity: Purity 1
38) Build=Recycler
40) Science=Pioneering
40) Build=Clinic
42) Build=Trade Depot
44) Build=Trade Convoy
48) Virtue=Industry:Investment
50) Build=Drone Command
53) Build=Network
54) Build=Frontier Stadium
54) Purchase ARC Ability III
56) Science=Communications
56) Artifacts=Soul-Discerner Training (+25% Covert Ops Speed)
56) Affinity: Purity 2
56) Build=Laboratory
59) Science=Engineering
59) Affinity: Supremacy 1
61) Affinity: Supremacy 2
61) Artifacts=Ground-Penetrating LIDAR (+100% Expedition Speed)
63) Purchase: Political/Subtle Rank 1
64) Science=Robotics
64) Build=Command Centre
66) [gained spy number 5 from Command Centre]
68) Build=Feedsite Hub
68) Science=Power Systems
68) Affinity: Supremacy 4
70) [gained spy number 6 from Feedsite Hub]
72) Build=Autoplant
73) Virtue=Might:Adaptive Tactics
73) Virtue=Might:ilitary-Industrial Complex
79) Build=Cel Cradle
80) Science=Nanotechnology
82) [gained spy number 7 from Cel Cradle]
117) Affinity: Purity 15 & 16
117) Started Building Exodus Gate
142) Built=Exodus Gate
162) Promised Land Victory

Tried this strategy the other day. I was killed on turn 75, nothing I could do really, it was a classic Brazil backstab that I couldn't possibly get out of

Top Bottom