One unit per tile modmod

TiglathPileser

Warlord
Has a 1UPT modmod ever been considered for FF or FFP? It would work quite well with FF's large swathes of empty space, and naturally slow production speeds. Perhaps allowing limited stacking on a star system to help defense.

I guess fighters, bombers, nukes etc would need rebalancing to compensate for the loss of collateral, but otherwise the units would all be good to go.

I would have to say "no, it has never been considered".

Do you really think that you can only fit one starship (or whatever small number of ships a unit represents) into a chunk of space a lightyear across, or whatever a plot represents? It's even sillier than 1UPT for regular civ.

Well obviously I'm thinking of significant gameplay benefits rather than any attempt at 'maintaining' realism, which is pretty absent in FF in the first place anyway.

Stack combat in FF at the moment is quite one dimensional, even moreso than in BTS - beyond the early game the stack with attack initiative and better collateral will massacre another stack of similar size and strength.

1UPT didn't work in CiV because of the massive systemic compromises that had to be made to implement the system. But the fundamental aspects required to make 1upt work (maps with more open space, low production speeds) are already core to FF, making it a much better fit.

Of course, one issue is AI, which may be impossible to mod into any kind of shape to fit the new combat system. But that doesn't affect multiplayer...

I assume you're looking for a game option, then?

I agree with God-Emperor on this one- I personally don't like 1UPT, and I have no real desire to see it added to FF+.

If you or someone else wants to make / port such a modmod, I wouldn't be opposed to merging it and making it a game option for people who do want it.

Top Bottom