1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

One unit per tile modmod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Final Frontier Plus' started by TiglathPileser, Mar 7, 2013.

1. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Chieftain

Has a 1UPT modmod ever been considered for FF or FFP? It would work quite well with FF's large swathes of empty space, and naturally slow production speeds. Perhaps allowing limited stacking on a star system to help defense.

I guess fighters, bombers, nukes etc would need rebalancing to compensate for the loss of collateral, but otherwise the units would all be good to go.

2. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

I would have to say "no, it has never been considered".

Do you really think that you can only fit one starship (or whatever small number of ships a unit represents) into a chunk of space a lightyear across, or whatever a plot represents? It's even sillier than 1UPT for regular civ.

3. PsiCorps

PsiCorps FF: Babylon 5 mod team

Have to agree with God-Emperor there. You could fit hundreds of units into a tile that is representative of hundreds of thousands of miles across and as many deep, as a minimum.

4. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Chieftain

Well obviously I'm thinking of significant gameplay benefits rather than any attempt at 'maintaining' realism, which is pretty absent in FF in the first place anyway.

Stack combat in FF at the moment is quite one dimensional, even moreso than in BTS - beyond the early game the stack with attack initiative and better collateral will massacre another stack of similar size and strength.

1UPT didn't work in CiV because of the massive systemic compromises that had to be made to implement the system. But the fundamental aspects required to make 1upt work (maps with more open space, low production speeds) are already core to FF, making it a much better fit.

Of course, one issue is AI, which may be impossible to mod into any kind of shape to fit the new combat system. But that doesn't affect multiplayer...

5. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

I assume you're looking for a game option, then?

I agree with God-Emperor on this one- I personally don't like 1UPT, and I have no real desire to see it added to FF+.

If you or someone else wants to make / port such a modmod, I wouldn't be opposed to merging it and making it a game option for people who do want it.