Open Sid Succession Game

0 - 1000 BC pay for horses and do some whipping. Get the Celts lump sum and tell them to leave or declare.

1 - 975 BC Lost E. Kill two of the Celtic units, but neither of the gallics.

2 - 950 BC

3 - 925 BC Defeat 2 spears in E. The gallics have gone elsewhere or disappeared. Re-capture E. Celtic boats floating around though. Figure out the problem. They can land on the irrigated cow next to the capital.

4 - 900 BC Oh dear... it just got worse!

upload_2017-6-5_1-27-30.png

Stop here, with a hand off.

Attachments

• Spoonwood of the Romans, 900 BC.SAV
    262.8 KB · Views: 294
I see that the Celts have not wasted any time at all :p

Well, an already impossible situation became even worse. Although they are on an island, the close distance allows them to ship over way too many troops, for this phase of the game.

You could make peace in a few turns without losing any cities, but even then...

Anyway, if you still want to continue, block the coastal tiles with units so as their galleys are forced to travel bigger distances + use cats to injure the galleys (delays shipment of units). Also, in these cases, since the AI sets a destination point to land units on, it is possible by covering that tile to make their galleys go back and forth, at least until they change their destination point.

Btw, I have managed to load the last save, but unfortunately I keep experiencing the bug I described.

I reinstalled the game from Steam (my CD version will not run in W10 :mad:), and the game runs smoothly until I exit the game. If afterwards, I try to reload the game I get this:

and this:

So basically I need to reinstall every time I exit the game... If you guys have any suggestions on how to resolve this problem, let me know.

Try deleting the LSANTS file in your Conquests folder. And restart your computer for good measure too. :)

Try deleting the LSANTS file in your Conquests folder. And restart your computer for good measure too. :)

Hi Vincour. Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have already tried this but every time I run the game the LSANS.fot file is recreated.

I am quite sure that this is the file responsible for my issues (LSANS.fot and conquests.ini are the only files modified when I run the game), but I still can't do anything..

Hmm. Does Steam redownload the file if you rename it instead and then make it Read-Only?

The file gets recreated even if I run it without logging on Steam.

Tried renaming and read-only too, but it will simply recreate the file.

It's strange because I never had any issues with the Steam version, until the latest W10 update. I don't know what they changed, but probably I will need to format and reinstall a clean installation of W10 (I have upgraded from W7).

How very strange. I'm sorry, I really don't know what else to try. :(

No worries, I knew that I needed to format anyway. Now I just need to find the time to do it :p

Are you guys still playing?

I'd be very interested to see more, if not this game, then more of the same. I'm really enjoying the learning curve and interested to see the thought processing going into each decision. The route to capital plan seems very interesting in particular. If you had your own Iron for example, would you just disconnect that specific source to upgrade the warriors, or would you always cut roads from around the capital? Since you don't have resources yourself, I can see it's necessary.. but otherwise I'm thinking it's a relatively large amount of GPT to be giving up. I suppose this why the isolated spot was 'interesting' to you all?

ps. I'd take it up myself, but I'm only just starting to feel like I can dominate on Monarch level (haven't finished a game, but the last 2 I had ~45% of the total power and moved on).

Regards
Richy

Hi RichyRich,

I don't know how to answer your first question.

Since you don't have resources yourself, I can see it's necessary.. but otherwise I'm thinking it's a relatively large amount of GPT to be giving up.

It hasn't gotten set up so far in this game. The human player can actually make gpt doing this at Sid level by using lump sums for the AIs gpt, and then getting the gold back via the exploit (which then gets cancelled the same turn) and then hanging onto luxuries/resources. For some more detailed examples of this (I learned a lot of this from Lord Emsworth... and the key part dates back to a comment of Microbe), I'll recommend post #32 here.

I suppose this why the isolated spot was 'interesting' to you all?

I don't think any of us wanted to us it. We just couldn't tell much about the start when we started.

I think the best answer would be 'got it', and you somehow turn the tables.

Hi RichyRich,

It hasn't gotten set up so far in this game. The human player can actually make gpt doing this at Sid level by using lump sums for the AIs gpt, and then getting the gold back via the exploit (which then gets cancelled the same turn) and then hanging onto luxuries/resources. For some more detailed examples of this (I learned a lot of this from Lord Emsworth... and the key part dates back to a comment of Microbe), I'll recommend post #32 here.

I have read through, and trying to digest what's happening there.

Dumbed down, would this description be correct? -- Check trade to see rate they will give you for gpt, if in your favour then use gold to reduce their available gpt to no less than 20. Use your gpt to obtain all their gold, workers and any tech then cut ties. Repeat as necessary. Then trade fairly for any luxuries or resources you may need.

It took a few read-throughs before I got to this short conclusion, so I hope it's right..

Regarding any new games, I'd be happy to play along if you do a more forgiving difficulty. I'd hate to get the team killed :)

Check trade to see rate they will give you for gpt, if in your favour then use gold to reduce their available gpt to no less than 20.

I don't think you understood. In that example I tried to get all of their surplus gpt without me supplying them any gpt myself. Then I pick up all of the hard goods. Cut the road. Then reconnect it. Finally, use gpt to obtain luxuries/resources from the AIs (but do NOT trade them any luxury or resource. If you do, you can mess up your reputation).

Regarding any new games, I'd be happy to play along if you do a more forgiving difficulty. I'd hate to get the team killed

Please feel free to play if you want to.. MAYBE we could make peace with The Celts in a few turns, but things look pretty grim in this game. I'm not optimistic about it.

Oh dear, so the AI is capable of naval invasions after all... :eek:
Would coastal blocking have been a solution to your problem? I see that you need only ~20 units to block your complete shoreline. Would they then have been smart enough to land in Aztecia and get you via land?!

Actually, looking back, I think that the biggest problem with this game might have been the selection of temples and/or the forbidden palace. We already knew that the Celts lay on an island in 2310 BC near enough to land on us. There existed at least two if not three overbuilds of horseman, I think. In other words, with wasted shields. The Forbidden Palace also cost us several turns which might have enabled us to put in 6 or 7 veteran archers just in that city.

Flips also might not have made for such an issue, since with more military we might have taken those cities back faster.

But I'll go with The Forbidden Palace build as the biggest deficiency. I think it too much pre-mature optimization for this sort of scenario.

Top Bottom