Operation Seelowe.

I'm stumped. I'm trying to make the human (German) player research a tech that allows the invasion to actually take place, but requires the capture of at least one British city within 4 turns, or the game is lost. Here is the events sequence. The delay text plays, but the game doesn't end. The EndGame event does work in a test, but not in this event. I'm out of ideas on how to fix it. Can anyone help?

;Invasion failure

@IF
ReceivedTechnology
receiver=Germans
technology=60
@THEN
JustOnce
Flag
Who=British
state=on
flag=17
continuous
TEXT
OKW has given the command to begin
Operation Seelowe. Field Marshall
von Runstedt, you have 5 turns to
capture at least one British city.
Failure to do so will result in the
cancellation of the operation.
ENDTEXT
@ENDIF

@IF
CityTaken
city=AnyCity
attacker=Germans
defender=British
@THEN
JustOnce
FLAG
flag=17
Who=British
state=off
continuous
@ENDIF

@IF
ReceivedTechnology
receiver=Germans
technology=60
@THEN
Delay
delay=4
GiveTechnology
technology=11
receiver=Germans
TEXT
Delay works.
ENDTEXT
@ENDIF

@IF
ReceivedTechnology
receiver=Germans
technology=11
@And
CheckFlag
who=British
flag=17
state=On
@THEN
EndGame
endscreens=No
TEXT
Field Marshall von Runstedt, the Fuhrer has determined that
Operation Seelowe has failed. All units are to be immediately
withdrawn. You are recalled to Berlin in disgrace. The game
is over.
ENDTEXT
@ENDIF

I solved the problem by substituting a technology for the flag that wouldn't stay on. It works great now. :)

;Invasion failure

@IF
ReceivedTechnology
receiver=Germans
technology=60
@THEN
Flag
Who=British
state=on
flag=17
TEXT
OKW has given the command to begin
Operation Seelowe. Field Marshall
von Runstedt, you have 5 turns to
capture at least one British city.
Failure to do so will result in the
cancellation of the operation.
ENDTEXT
JustOnce
@ENDIF

@IF
Checkflag
Who=British
Mask=0b00000000000000100000000000000000
Threshold=1
State=On
@THEN
GiveTechnology
technology=12
receiver=British
@ENDIF

@IF
CityTaken
city=AnyCity
attacker=Germans
defender=British
@THEN
TakeTechnology
whom=British
technology=12
@ENDIF

@IF
ReceivedTechnology
receiver=Germans
technology=60
@THEN
JustOnce
Flag
Who=British
state=on
flag=18
Delay
delay=6
@ENDIF

@IF
Checkflag
Who=British
Mask=0b00000000000001000000000000000000
Threshold=1
State=On
@And
ReceivedTechnology
receiver=British
technology=12
@THEN
TEXT
Field Marshall von Runstedt, the Fuhrer has determined that
Operation Seelowe has failed. All units are to be immediately
withdrawn. You are recalled to Berlin in disgrace. The game
is over.
ENDTEXT
EndGame
endscreens=Yes
@ENDIF

Hi Tech,

I'm glad you found a solution. I was looking at your problem last night and had proposed a fix until I realized it didn't resolve it (so I ended up deleting the post:blush:).

Using the mask rather than the Tech as a check flag is a more elegant solution. Good job!

Due to the scale of the map, and the maximum movement allowed for units, it looks like it would take the German bombers 3 turns to reach their most distant targets: Glasgow and Belfast. Belfast has a factory and Glasgow has docks, so they are potential targets for strategic bombing. Historically, they were bombed by the Luftwaffe. How do people feel about allowing these air units (He-111, Do-17, and Ju-88) to spend 6 turns in the air? In game terms, it's 12 days. All other air units have the standard 2 turn duration.

Due to the scale of the map, and the maximum movement allowed for units, it looks like it would take the German bombers 3 turns to reach their most distant targets: Glasgow and Belfast. Belfast has a factory and Glasgow has docks, so they are potential targets for strategic bombing. Historically, they were bombed by the Luftwaffe. How do people feel about allowing these air units (He-111, Do-17, and Ju-88) to spend 6 turns in the air? In game terms, it's 12 days. All other air units have the standard 2 turn duration.
My grandfather was part of a bomber crew in WW2 and, from what he had said, 12 days straight in the air in one of those (assuming fuel limits could be overcome) would be insanity-inducing torture for such an aircrew. ;)

That's helpful Patine. Thanks.
Sorry, Tech. It was late at night, and I'd had a few days of poor sleep and dealing with an annoying financial issue in RL. Reading that again, it does look flippant and sarcastic, but last night, strangely, it wasn't meant that way.

A quick update: I've finished the German events, and most of the British ones. I just finished the naval events, and am now redoing the British production events to rationalize and simplify them. I moved Scapa Flow farther east in the North Sea and added a naval base on the Clyde (near Glasgow) to improve naval interception movement. I've done the basic (infantry) invasion reaction events but still have to do the strategic reserve events (armoured divisions, Canadians etc.) Then I should be able to send it out for playtesting in about a week. Icons, sounds (including the overture) and the Title page are all finished.

Sweet!!!! I haven't been looking this forward to a scenario in a long time!

I've finished the events and now I'm going to give it a complete run through to find and fix the obvious mistakes. Then I should be ready to email it to my playtesters in a few days.
Assuming your house is still standing in a few days... :p

I'm doing my initial playtest run-thru before sending this off to my playtesters. So far - so good. The German high command is pleased to announce a very successful 1st turn invasion on turn 25 of the scenario. It wasn't too hard - perhaps too easy. The next couple of turns will tell if the British reaction events work as planned.

Some events clearly need fixing. British production events haven't been working, leading to a quick decline of RAF interference and complete German air superiority by turn 15. I fixed this after a bit of detective work. It seems that in order for the continuous modifier to work with the flag trigger, it must be included right after "Flag". So, hopefully that's fixed. No doubt more errors will be uncovered, but I hope to find most of them before handing it off to my loyal playtesters. Attached is a screen shot for those interested:

Invasion1.png

Last edited:
Good choice of towns & cities, especially my hometown Hastings. I think this I've seen it in Civ2 since John Ellis' Seize the Crown (top scenario). I look forward to playing this little beauty!
Wait a minute! Didn't you say you were from Wales? Hastings is a tad to the east Wales... :p

Without wishing to hijack this thread with my life story. I grew up in Hastings and moved to Cardiff in my early 20s. Still get the occasional bout of homesickness for the sea air, but it passes. Interesting little anecdote, on the seafront in the suburb of St. Leonards stands a statue of Queen Victoria. She has a bullet hole in her knee which is supposed to be the result of a potshot from a gunner on German bomber passing over. I don't know if this is 100% true, but it seems feasible.

http://www.publicsculpturesofsussex...Hastings/Statue of Queen Victoria/HA03I09.JPG

Back on topic. I happened to watch this interesting video on YouTube the other day about the Battle of Britain & chances of Sealion being a success. The video suggests that the events have been somewhat mythologized over the years, probably dating back to the propaganda of the time and that the odds were not as stacked in the German's favor nearly as much as 'The Few' would lead us to believe. Thought you might find it interesting:

Top Bottom