Optimal number of cities?

Sgtslick

Emperor
Hi, been playing a bit of this mod and a couple of others lately and am really liking it!

Was just wondering, how many cities do you guys aim for on a large/huge map on emperor/immortal? I should note* pre-war, if you typically grab some cities off of neighbor early, then include those in your optimal number then too.

Also while I'm here I might as well ask if anyone can point me to any diplomatic victory guides / playthrough with the mod?

Currently randomed Maria on emperor after getting my ass kicked 3 times on immortal lol. Going ok so far, still kinda tough (which is great!). She seems pretty strong to me - bit of a slow starter etc. I just need to kick my economy into gear mid-game so i can start marrying off my relatives. Anything else to it? Go statecraft and diplomats im thinking, and maybe some spies in city states too. I've never really gone for a diplomacy victory before - haven't played that much civ5, still play civ4 mods and other stuff.

Welcome to the best civ for tall diplomacy.

5 to 7 cities are OK. Don't control more cities if you go Tradition, a bit more allowed in the other trees.

Try to find all the city states asap, since the earlier you find them, the earlier you get quests. You'll need a sizeable army to protect your allies, so take some military wonders if you can, and try to fight a little to earn some generals and some experience. Turning generals into citadels gives you 2 flat military supply.

Statecraft is the best medieval tree, though artistry is not bad if you are in a safe location with very few cities. VP wants you to take culture seriously.

Other than that, I try to rush the eras my civ is weak. In this case, I don't plan for serious wars before Renaissance, once CS bonuses are kicking in.

Oh, and if you can force another civ into vassal, you will be probably dominating the world congress till the end. Late game you could go Freedom to focus on your crazy gp in capital, or autocracy to rush the diplo victory (you demand tribute from city states and gain influence).

Remember that you need to research Telecommunications, pass the UN resolution, have enacted a world ideology (yours, ideally) and be elected leader of the world in the following election.

Currently randomed Maria on emperor after getting my ass kicked 3 times on immortal lol. Going ok so far, still kinda tough (which is great!). She seems pretty strong to me - bit of a slow starter etc. I just need to kick my economy into gear mid-game so i can start marrying off my relatives. Anything else to it? Go statecraft and diplomats im thinking, and maybe some spies in city states too. I've never really gone for a diplomacy victory before - haven't played that much civ5, still play civ4 mods and other stuff.
Maria is definitely a civ that should start Authority just to survive. Though after reaching mid-game she becomes a monster. She is also very strong in Tourism play (i.e. Authority >> Artistry >> Industry)

Top Bottom