[BTS] Oracle and Liberalism

Tonny

King
I'm running a game now towards a diplomatic victory.
At the moment I can fully double bulb Electricity with 2 scientists and have the Oracle prepped for a 1 turn build and can research Liberalism in 1 turn.
Here is my question. Is it possible to finish the Oracle and Liberalism at the same turn to research Radio AND Mass Media?
If I recall correctly I couldn't do in the past. One "free" tech got lost in the process.
Any help appreciated.

No clue, but you should be able to setup a test using WB, if no one knows the answer

I'd terraform a city with marble and improvements, some workers to chop out Oracle. Give yourself free GS and all the techs that allow a Lib bulb.

@lymond
I appreciate your suggestions, but I encounter these bumps in the road.

No clue, but you should be able to setup a test using WB, if no one knows the answer
There's one problem... I'm using Buffy.005 which doesn't allow WB. Since it's a mod I can't rely on a standard game using WB.

Give yourself free GS and all the techs that allow a Lib bulb.
A lib bulb isn't what I'm aiming for. I'm already at the point that I can 1 turn tech Lib already (with and without overflow). (And a GS can't bulb Lib at this point. It will give me Fusion.)

lol...it's a test ..all those things don't matter. I'm not sure what you are saying. Just create a dummy game with or without Buffy (and yes you can use WB with BUFFY....just uncheck LMA)

Set up a test game. (Without Buffy.)

I got Lib and Oracle on same turn.(No bulb used.) I got 2 free techs. Events happened seperately.

Interesting, I've never before come across the situation of being able to oracle/lib a the same time..ha..but I guess the opportunity can certainly arise on very low level HOF games.

Well, giving it further thought, I do see a little Tonny's point on the use of the mod. BUFFY should have no impact on Oracle/Lib combo, but there are some BUG related or Unofficial Patch related tweaks to bugs or exploity things, they may have touched on the Oracle or Lib bonuses. Removing possible exploits. I vaguely recall something of that nature. And since Oracle/Lib combo is such a rare thing it probably has not been tested well. Point is, you fix one thing and might break another.

So BUFFY test probably a good idea. Just turn off Locked Modified Assets before creating a Dummy game. (I recommend reloading between checking/unchecking LMA as I've found it can crash the game for some reason..at least for me)

Thank you both.
Thanks to @Gumbolt I know it works and thanks to @lymond I know I can test it.
Anyhow... I have some old saves from submitted games using .004b to test Buffy at the least. And if there were no major changes made for .005 I can use it for my game.
Will report on the results.

Done the test with a Buffy.004b game. It FAILS!!! :sad::cry:

Results in screenies
Spoiler :

1 turn lib and oracle.JPG

This is the turn where I did the setup to get Liberalism and Oracle at the same turn.

lib for radio.JPG

The first pop up is Liberalism. I'll choose Radio.

oracle for mass media.JPG

The second pop up is The Oracle. I'll choose Mass Media.
So far so good you would think...

But then...
tech screen after.JPG

Mass Media isn't researched by The Oracle.

The odd thing is that the Oracle gives you the option to research Mass Media, but it doesn't happen at all.
What's the problem? Consecutive techs?

Attachments

• lib oracle test before.CivBeyondSwordSave
    161.7 KB · Views: 208
  • lib oracle test after.CivBeyondSwordSave
    161.7 KB · Views: 239
Can't be 100% sure, but I think you wouldn't get the second tech even if they weren't consecutive. I think the reason is that, in unmodded BTS, there is an exploit which can allow getting as many free techs as you'd like from the oracle or liberalism, so the Buffy team decided to mod that out by preventing more than a single free tech from being granted on one turn.

What are the reason and reasoning behind wanting to get them both in the same turn?

Specifically for a UN victory, you can get radio and mass media the turn you finish electricity, which lets you start the UN a turn earlier than if you had to do them on separate turns. Same thing for getting to a corporation for a low-difficulty space victory (say, get bio and medicine the turn you finish scientific method). Of course, on most "real" settings the oracle would get finished long before this, but can be useful for the HOF.

I see, it's just to shave of a turn on a record attempt?

Get electricity one turn earlier then! :D

Did another test. It also doesn't work on 2 nonconsecutive techs.

I see, it's just to shave of a turn on a record attempt?

Get electricity one turn earlier then! :D

I'd love to, but on some occasions it isn't possible.

Top Bottom