Pre-1AD Liberalism Rush Basics?

Presumably skipping a GS.
But how can that be better? Using the 3rd GS for paper costs 300 GPPs and gives 900+ beakers, so even without Golden Age/Pacifism, a paper bulb scientist already produces 3 + 9 = 12 beakers/turn effectively.

Alternatively with that many GS's in play for a given map, you could consider lib'ing steel instead, throwing an extra bulb into chemistry.
Yes, although I guess a 6th GS could be generated for that in time as well.

Philosophy first and academy second is somewhat common for me.
But I guess that is only superior if you have an early religion and can switch to communism, otherwise Philo doesn't help. Or is it about spending more early citizen-turns on production of settlers/workers rather than scientists?

If you can produce your five GS really fast it's quicker to go for them. The Academy GS costs you 500 GPP though within your Lib beeline. The question is whether you can generate those 500 GPP faster than you would get to Lib with only 4 GS.

Now... I'm talking from a more general and normal gameplay here, not speculating around some absurdly early librun. :)

The nice thing with bulbing philosophy is that it tends to make the lib-race that much safer. So if you get that bulb in and get a monopoly on philo, the AIs are way less likely to go there.
If there is already an AI at philo once you bulb it, there is always the possiblity that they will swing it around to other AIs.

Also, if you get pacifism early, then it can often bw easier to get the other GSci you want since you can generate them while in the +100% multiplier, or better still with +200% multiplier while starving the city down.

And yes, doing it this way allows you to spend less citizen-turns on scientists that "only" give 3bpt and 3GPP/turn.

On lower levels philosophy should be much safer. On deity grabbing philosophy gives a great trade bait. Academy on deity offers less value as ai likely have most techs you would research. On prince level you would likely be ahead on techs as ai are slow to alphabet and other basic techs. So maybe early academy has greater value. Hmmm. Pends what date you consider early for a GS. 1000bc?

On deity grabbing philosophy gives a great trade bait.
I almost never trade away Philosophy. (When I care about Lib, if I don't care about lib, off it goes!)

Most of the time I just hoard it. Securing lib for something nice is easier if thats under wraps.

I have watched alot of videos where top players like Lain Chris or Henrik play diety and I dont think they ever managed to get lib at 1 AD.
So dont try to get 1 AD lib if you play at prince/monarch level.

I have watched alot of videos where top players like Lain Chris or Henrik play diety and I dont think they ever managed to get lib at 1 AD.
So dont try to get 1 AD lib if you play at prince/monarch level.

There is no point on Prince or Monarch as you can delay it to 1400ad or later for bigger techs. On these lower levels assuming you have good game play the AI should be way behind once you set up a strong economy. You can judge exactly where the Ai is at this point and without Edu they won't get close to lib. Many years back I was easily taking techs like steel or better on Monarch level. If you are going for early cuirs at these levels you probably should of been rushing map with HA instead. As on Monarch level that should be enough to take out 2-3 AI. Even on Immortal if you push HA heavily with Mongols you can take down several AI. Don't forget the super medic or Keshik will be wounded for a long time in the field. I tend to find civ 4 rewards aggressive play at times. Albeit on Deity it's a slightly different ball game.

Top Bottom