Orbis-friendly map scripts

Opera

Deity
So, following a discussion in the Troll's Cave thread, I decided to work a bit the custom map scripts because some features (Kelp, Haunted Lands and Crystal Plains) weren't spawning.

Here is the list of map scripts I plan to modify:
- PerfectWorld 1
- PerfectWorld 2; I'm holding up on those two because PW starting plots aren't adapted to FFH to my taste and also because I don't want to keep the promise to update them to Orbis;
- Erebus (called Orbis); version 120809
- ErebusContinent (called OrbisContinent); version 120809

Feel free to post requests. I'll feel free to refuse if I want to :p

PROGRESS

12/08/09
I converted ErebusContinent to Orbis features. I renamed Erebus to Orbis and ErebusContinent to OrbisContinent. I changed Erebus so that Crystal Plains are placed last, thus meaning they won't get overwritten by forests. I dedicate this update to [to_xp]Gekko :goodjob:

24/07/09
Creation.py removed because it's just an outdated version of Erebus.py :D

23/05/09
I did the Creation.py and Erebus.py mapscripts and uploaded them. I'm working on PerfectWorld 2... it's a bit difficult to manipulate the rainfall and temperature factors, though.​

DEVELOPMENT NOTES

Crystal Plains
I tried a "plains" effect for this feature. What I mean is that I tried to make it so it would spread across large surface of plains when possible. Each snow/tundra/river/crystal plains in the surrounding plots will increase the chance of a snow plot to gain a crystal plain. It won't be found anything but flatlands.​
Kelp
For now, Kelp will appear 25% of the time on coast only. It can appear on resources (Fish+Kelp+FishingBoat+Lighthouse+Lanun? 10 food I think!) but it would be easy to not allow it to.​
Haunted Lands
I tried something too here. With FlavourMod, there is a chance that City Ruins appear in chokepoints. If there is a City Ruins, there would be a Haunted Land on it and the chance of having some other in the surrounding plots are of 33% (against 2% for normal plot). I like the feeling of "haunted area". In fact, I would like to see Haunted Lands spread...​

DOWNLOAD

Just click on the links above, in the script list, or click on the links below, in the attachments panel ;)

INSTALLATION

Extract the content of the zip(s) in your Orbis/PrivateMaps/ folder.

Attachments

• Orbis.7z
    22.4 KB · Views: 207
  • OrbisContinent.7z
    34.2 KB · Views: 246
Thanks Opera. You're the modder of my favorite mapscripts. :D

You're both welcome :) I really like those mapscripts, especially PW (even above PW2 I think). However, I get a more fantasy feeling when playing with Creation...

Anyway, please test. The spawning rates may not be good for now. I did my own tests and saw little Haunted Lands (2% is maybe too small?) and little Crystal Plains (this one is because snow is rare anyway).

By the way, I guess you could want the FlavourFix, so I attached it and added the link to the first post.

Attachments

• CvFlavourInterface.zip
    20.3 KB · Views: 196
Anyway, please test. The spawning rates may not be good for now. I did my own tests and saw little Haunted Lands (2% is maybe too small?) and little Crystal Plains (this one is because snow is rare anyway).

Been playing some Creation.

I wouldn't bump haunted lands much, it seems like something that should be pretty rare. I assume that's what keeps spawning all these frikkin' specters in my current game.

I haven't seen crystal plains but I haven't seen any snow either.

Kelp I've definitely seen. Lots of kelp, and it spreads like forests which is nice. Not sure if I saw any troll caves.

Haunted ruins, which grow from razed cities, spawn spectres. Haunted lands are separate. Some map scripts put ruins from the start.

Been playing a lot more Creation: tons of kelp, some haunted lands. Only occasional crystal plains but snow is quite rare anyway... when I do see snow there is some crystal.

Not sure I've seen troll caves, though. Might be missing...?

How difficult is it to include this in PerfectWorld?

It isn't _that_ difficult. It's just that I'm busy with many things right now... My Ngomele civilization, my Leaders modmod and these mapscripts... not to forget RL :lol:

But don't worry, I'll get my hands on it as soon as possible :)

It isn't _that_ difficult. It's just that I'm busy with many things right now... My Ngomele civilization, my Leaders modmod and these mapscripts... not to forget RL :lol:

But don't worry, I'll get my hands on it as soon as possible :)

What is this RL that you speak of? Can you eat it?

They should work without problem. If they don't, let me know :)

I know some of you are waiting for the others to be updated. I think I won't go for Perfect World as there is more issues I can't deal with (like the Malakim not starting in desert). I asked Cephalo about it and he answered me to check MountainCoast (I think) which is done with PW.

It's a mod; wastes a lot of time, even more so with the Wife and Child modmods installed. (uninstalling them is difficult too)

I thought that you install the Lawyer modmod, and then get the divorce papers modmodmod :crazyeye:
your other option is to get the gun modmod, which automatically downloads the jail modmodmod

I removed the FlavourFix as it is no longer useful, it has been fixed in the main mod :)

Any chance you could post a little explanation of what you did exactly? I'm not a fan of these Erebus/Creation scripts and I would like kelp and haunted lands, but I don't want to dump all of this on your lap.

@Falc:

The mapscripts use a function to place features on the map they generate. Generally, each mapscript use a different way to place them, especially when said mapscript use humidity and/or temperature. Orbis added some features to the game (kelp, crystal plains, haunted lands) and thus they aren't placed when the map is generated. What I did is adding some code in the feature placement function to place the kelp, crystal plains and haunted lands.

Specifically, for Creation.py, I made it so Kelp has 25% chance to appear on a coastal tile (that may be a bit much); Crystal Plains have a chance to appear on any snow & flat plot - the fun thing is that I consider surrounding plots: a plot neighbouring a Crystal Plain would have more chance to get one itself; the Haunted Lands just have 2% chance of spawning, increased to 33% around city ruins (automatically placed, sometimes, by FlavourMod).

My results aren't satisfying for now as I don't get big chunks of crystal plains (but I rarely see snow) and I never see a Haunted Land close to city ruin :lol:

My results aren't satisfying for now as I don't get big chunks of crystal plains (but I rarely see snow) and I never see a Haunted Land close to city ruin :lol:
I think it is possible that flavourmod places city ruins on already existing map, and you add haunted lands at the map creation (so there are no ruins yet).
Flavourmod checks for choke points for ruins/forts placement, so it needs an existing map

Also, the scripts are already added to main orbis download so unless I missed an update there is no reason to add them on your own.

That explains it all. Maybe I could tweak FlavourMod :mischief:
And no, you didn't miss an update. I didn't work on the mapscripts since a long time, now...

Top Bottom