Orbital Fabricator and Weather Controller mechanics?

arandomguy

Chieftain
1) Do Orbital Fabricator/Weather Controller create resources on unimproved ocean/coast tiles or just land tiles?

2 )Do roads/mag rails count as improved tiles as it relates to the resource creating mechanic?

3) Do started but unfinished improvements prevent resource creation?

4 )Does having a unit on the tile affect resource creation?

5) How do marshes and miasma affect resource creation?

6) How does extend orbital duration bonuses affect the rate at which they create resources? Does the "1 or 2" resources amount set based on the base orbit duration and scale with duration increases? Or does it end up taking longer to create resources?

I have made water resources with the weather controller before.

So water resources is confirmed. I've had algae and oil appear in water multiple times now as well.

So it seems like if you are short on oil a fabricator over water will basically guarantee oil eventually. Now to see if anything affects whether or not the 5 land only strategics spawn more so than others (I've only had firaxite appear so far for me).

Also had resources appear in a forested tile. So this may mean miasma and marshes don't affect things.

Also had resources appear on a magrail.

Had a resource appear under a trade convoy but can't confirm whether or not that is the same as a regular unit covering the space (for example since the convoy may have just moved onto it after the actual spawn trigger).

I have also had two copper spawn off of one controller for a city off desert tiles. Was a real nice surprise.

Sorry just to clarify I meant the strategic resources - geo thermal, firaxite, floating ore, xenomass and titanium. I've only had a firexite spawn for me so far, and maybe titanium once.

I was petro blocked with building more orbitals, so I spawned a lot on ocean tiles with the theory they can only yield petro (which made sense and seemed to have worked). So I did get a lot of petro than became titanium blocked :p

1) Do Orbital Fabricator/Weather Controller create resources on unimproved ocean/coast tiles or just land tiles?

2 )Do roads/mag rails count as improved tiles as it relates to the resource creating mechanic?

6) How does extend orbital duration bonuses affect the rate at which they create resources? Does the "1 or 2" resources amount set based on the base orbit duration and scale with duration increases? Or does it end up taking longer to create resources?

1. yes. had 2 oil from two different OF on coast tiles
2. no that has been stated by MJ
3. I do not know, i presume it does since it is no longer a pristine tile (it has an animation on it) probably the answer is in the gamefiles :)
4. no, not that i am aware of (had workers present, but it didnt pop on those tiles
5. not
6. I do not know, it doenst mention it so i presume not. In my current game i have the techs but only had 1 from each sat sofar (4 around my capital to try the sats out)

Hope it helps!

Sorry just to clarify I meant the strategic resources - geo thermal, firaxite, floating ore, xenomass and titanium. I've only had a firexite spawn for me so far, and maybe titanium once.

I was petro blocked with building more orbitals, so I spawned a lot on ocean tiles with the theory they can only yield petro (which made sense and seemed to have worked). So I did get a lot of petro than became titanium blocked :p

For me i spawned 2 oils, 1 firaxite, 1 titanium so far... (one from each sat, with plenty turns to go till they fall down)

So can you try spamming xenomass + miasma in hard-to-acces wildlands just for the trolling? :p

I'm trying to prove it myself but if someone could help and see if resources can spawn on partially improved tiles (work has started but not finished), I would much appreciate it. Imagine using Terrascapes to wipe unwanted resources and re-rolling until you get what you need.

The chances of getting a resource is low. The chances of getting the resource you want is event lower. Still it is a good way to improve an barren city area. The satellites tend to only create 1 resource before they drop, so it is best to destroy it and make a new one after a resource spawns.

I've been pretty obsessed with these Satellites.

A few things I've observed:

The turn a resource is seeded will be determined when you launch the satellite even if you revert the save.

You can use this to "save scum" the resource you want by reloading the turn until you get it.

Some tiles appear to lock out certain resources. I haven't yet been able to get Reslin to spawn.

Chopping down forest does not stop resources from being seeded.

Chitin can spawn on a forest. Paddocks don't require you to chop forest. So you get the tile yields from both.

The turn a resource is seeded will be determined when you launch the satellite even if you revert the save.

Did you check the option "New Random Seed" from the advanced setup?

As long as you don't check that, it is normal that even if you reload the game you still get the same results, since all the "random" events are actually based on a "seed" that is decided at the start of the game.

Did you check the option "New Random Seed" from the advanced setup?

As long as you don't check that, it is normal that even if you reload the game you still get the same results, since all the "random" events are actually based on a "seed" that is decided at the start of the game.

Even with "New Random Seed' the Fabricators seed resources on turns determined when they are launch.

1. Weather Controller makes algae and/or coral, while Orbital Fabricator makes petroleum.

2. No

3. Unfortunately, yes. I believe it is intentional aswell, as they didn't want you to "remove" improvements as soon as you got weather controller/orbital fabricator and abuse terrascape to control what resources you have and were, to ultimately create a "perfect" city.

4. No

5. Not at all.

6. Randomized. It creates 1-2 resources "across it's lifespan", so you COULD get 2 resources almost instantly after sending them up, or you could get only 1 just before it de-orbits. The "50% longer orbit time" effect isn't good for weather controller and orbital fabricator unless you build them for the +1 food/production yield.

As a modder i can confirm that the number of resources is defined as X resources in the file's, not as X per Y turns. Honestly their really crappy sats overall.

Would it be possible to change it to a percentage chance per turn (thereby making +orbit time useful)? Or similar.

Top Bottom