OriginalDadaisExpandedMod [Released]

Dadais

King
Greetings all.

There it is, here is the expansion mod I envisionned.

DOWNLOAD SITE

dadaisExpansionMod.png

Units, few new features to discover, an evolved battle system, two simple scenarii ...
Spoiler new unit tree :
exemple.png

You may play on a prebuilt earth map, yet can play on custom maps too.
exemple3.png

You may also discover some of the features playing the roman or the ww1 scenario
exemple2.png

exemple4.png

This mod was a mean for me to work on concepts. Thus, sounds, per exemple, were not modded.
Like everything in these files, you may change it to your taste !

Last edited:
Spoiler Development Diary :

Greatings all.
I'm currently taking time to build a "very light" mod for civ2 using ToTpp18 abilities

The goal is to aim for an Earth playthrough displaying more units, only three more technologies (two given or not to tribes depending on tribe choices' locations : "access to horse" and "access to elephants") more terrain types, the gigaworld map a little altered for 7 tribes to choose between those 21, each with its two special units :

Romans, russians, germans, spanish, greeks, english, french ;
Incas, japaneses, iroquois, aztecs, chineses, mongols, indians ;
Ottomans, arabians, zulus, egyptians, persians, ethiopians, malineses.

Quite some cities shall already be placed on the map thus be given to barbarians, the unselected tribe's ones to begin with.

Two main changes shall concern Lua :

The unit tree and its tech dependencies (and corresponding upgrades abilities and costs/ automation with Leonardo Workshop), currently beeing built :

And evolutions of fighting rounds I'm planning for other scenario, where I'd like not to lose (too much) the feeling of civ2 like I somehow did after hours of playing the TES scenario.
This shall save many time for the two scenarios to come and the 2 others in developpement.

Tech Tree shall see small alterations too, considering unit dependances.

Unit tree is defined (to notice, some civ-special units shall put in shadow more than one usual unit)

Unit Tree is finally defined in the Lua Code !
The Tech Tree got adapted too :

Jet Engine tech is added on units purpose.

"Labor Union" isn't usefull to get any unit type anymore, yet shall greatly help to limit bad events related to factories.
"Slavery Abolition" will have a similar purpose, both getting rid of all previously owned slaves AND preventing related bad events.

While we can't add or remove a tile bonus with Lua, I realized we could check wether or not a tile have it ! This shall allow to add a blocus system on main ports to create, bringing loot and relation malus.

I'll create two different starting procedures too.
One related to the prebuilt map, per exemple allowing for barbarian civilisations placement.
Another one without said relation.

Yes, the resource indeed.
Sadly, we can only read tile.terrain.resource and not write in it.
Changing tile.terrain.type doesn't seem suitable for, say, having a gold deposit depleted ?

I just saw we could "set" ALL tile.terrain ?!?.
Does it affect tile.terrain.resource then too ?

IT WORKS !

We can copy any tile.terrain into any other tile.terrain, including tile.terrain.resource which is only readable otherwise !

To notice, the "terrain" object is asked to be valid with the map of the copied tile.

With the Terrain.type integer as terrainType, isn't it ?
While I won't use it there, it will be used for sure in others scenarios ! :)

Much thanks !

The definition table for units is created, displaying upgrades costs and units possible upgrades (including civ specificities), unit group (early infantry, line infantry, cavalry, plane, steel ship, etc) and each unit bonus' list (giving special abilities).

"While I won't use it there, it will be used for sure in others scenarios !"
Talked too fast there. A third tile improvement system could be coming.

So, I added an "urbanisation" improvement system to the mod, consisting of :

"grassland" (2food 1shield 0trade)
"grassland" can still be irrigated
"grassland" can be transformed into a forest
"grassland" can be mined => the resource hidden (or not) under the "grassland" is stored, the land becomes an "arable land" tile with no resource and the worker is consumed

"arable land" (3food 1shield 0trade)
"arable land" can be irrigated
"arable land" can be mined => it raise the tile level, either earning a resource (hamlet 3f1s1t then village 3f1s2t) either changing it into a "burg" tile with no resource ; and the worker is consumed
"arable land" can be transformed => the stored resource is set back into the becoming "industries" land, and the worker is consumed

"burg" (2food 1shield 3trade)
"burg" can be mined => it raise the tile level, either earning a resource (town 2f1s4t then city 2f1s5t) either setting back the stored resource into a "metropolis" tile ; and the worker is consumed
"burg" can be transformed => the stored resource is set back into the becoming "industries" land, and the worker is consumed

"industries" (0food 4shield 4trade) and "metropolis" (2food 0shield 6trade) both have special resource tiles like any normal one and can be transformed back in "desert" tile

Tiles layers and resources pictures are chosen so the urbanisation is slowly growing and eating tiles.

Met an issue while testing the "unit upgrade" systems :

Could this "cavalry slot" barbarians spawned in "village" be caused by the extra tech 6 & extra tech 7 given to civs ?

Dialog to advert about new units being avaible and allowing for their former version upgrades is done.

Mass Upgrade are working well.
The Leonardo Workshop saw a modification of its power, still activating the old way in exceptionnal situations.
Otherwise, it now holds the still very powerfull power to reduce by half the upgrade cost for units !

The way the mod is built, one can change tribe orders and colors (to have different civilisations matches)
Just found a small issue considering villages free units giving horsemen or elephants to tribes not supposed to have any of these animal nearby (same goes for the said village considering its location).
I dunno how to adress this issue, as I'd like to avoid defining areas to avoid any issue with alternative maps uses.

Fighting Bonus and special related stuffs are currently being implemented, consisting of :
-classic bonuses considering unitType groups, battle tile caracteristics (meharis better in desert, cavalry better against units not fortified, not in fortress or not in walled cities, some unit better on "flat" land) or specific units proximity (aztec bloodpriests, genius generals)
-limited fighting rounds depending on unitType groups
-simple Bombing system applyed to artillery and planes, and shooters free shots.
-(few) fleeing opportunities
-A guerilla ability hurting units moving nearby and allowing for less battle rounds played when not fortified, not in fortress or not in cities
-integrating a "pincer attack" bonus giving advantages to ZoC units.
-AA defensive reactions on ground, Interceptions reactions for planes.
-special attack cases for battering ram against fortress and walled cities
-special attack cases for heavy bombers (bombing all units and city/tile improvements)

I have questions relative to the correct TechParadigm to apply

Last edited:
While we can't add or remove a tile bonus with Lua, I realized we could check wether or not a tile have it ! This shall allow to add a blocus system on main ports to create, bringing loot and relation malus.
What do you mean by tile bonus? If you mean the 'resource' like fish/whale, yes you can add/remove them with Lua. You change the tile's terrain (not baseTerrain) to a corresponding one with or without a resource.

In case you overlooked it, there is a direct function to get a terrain object.

getTerrain (since 0.16)
civ.getTerrain(map, terrainType, resource) -> terrain

Returns the terrain object for the given map, terrain type and resource.

Spoiler development diary 2 :
"Just found a small issue considering villages free units giving horsemen or elephants to tribes not supposed to have any of these animal nearby (same goes for the said village considering its location).
I dunno how to adress this issue, as I'd like to avoid defining areas to avoid any issue with alternative maps uses"

Found a way to solve it, and
corrected this for barbarians,
corrected it for human and AI players

"I have questions relative to the correct TechParadigm to apply"

Found a solution on that side.
TechParadigm is set at 400, caravan don't deliver science bonus, AND a historical brake or push got added :
4 eras are defined by turns spent to match the tech epoch. When searching a tech from the next era, cities are producing only one tenth of their science outpout. From an era further away, one hundredth and searching modern era tech at 1000BC, one thousandth. On the other side, searching old eras tech in modern era is faster.
Damn effective :
while we still can catch some techs earlier to get an advantage, having gold is also more usefull than before, simply to upgrade its units.

Fighting Bonus and special related stuffs are implemented

Also integrated the slavery dimension :
Slaves are first settlers units.
They can be produced until their upgrades (serfs or free workers) are avaible, and can also be captured when fighting ennemy units (until slavery is banned by tech)
Beware ! Until slavery is banned, one shall not have too much slaves in compare to its population and army, at the risk of them revolting !

I simplified the Pincer Attack bonus I had in mind, limiting it only to attacker if the exact opposit tile is occupyed by the attacker's tribe.

abandonned on ai considerations is the "Raider" bonus for longships, allowing them to raid shores for money.

Then should there be the development of the "Missile Launcher", allowing to create cruise missiles for money.

And, to end this little mod, battering ram and leaders generations.

The Missile Launcher power is implemented.
I also applyed a little minor change to the government forms (Fascism replacing Fundamentalism, Democracy replacing Republic, and Theocracy replacing Democracy).

I realised I forgot an element in my todo list and needed another one too considering my test :

- battering ram and leaders generations
- factories strikes !
- rebellions/independances/units loss considering luxuries productions, distance from capital and owner government, to avoid early blob and their exponential growth bonus circle.
-(if I have a little time) have a "scenarios" module in lua code to adapt a little it (tech steps considering current turn per exemple) to .scn files to create

Currently building rebellions/independances/units loss considering luxuries productions, distance from capital and owner government, to avoid early blob and their exponential growth bonus circle.
I'm creating a "march/tributaryState/colony/whicheverName" system where cities too far away (considering governement) are producing trade instead of shield (before waste).
goal is to make their development longer.
Indeed, populations in these colonial cities won't count with the others to prevent slaves revolts.

Some governement forms may allow with some improvement (to thus buy) these city to be considered de jure thus produce shields normally (cathedral for theocracy, courthouse for democracy, police station for fascism and communism).

I added a small reminder* to figure its empire global areas and to allow planification of its extention.
Well, such an extended early blob shall not be this easy to get and to keep anymore.

*there shall be only one key press, the "1", used by units and tiles

Factories strikes are done.

I took time to bring along a little yet simple surprise fully integrated in the mod, with tribute to give to sid miers base scenarii

Lua code shall be finished.

There's no custom sound there.
I'll leave it to you to alter it to your wish. Like the reste anyway. :)

I'm adding little descriptions of important features in civilopedia, and it will be released.

Took 3 more days to add a simple wwi scenario to it ;).

Little tweaks, and it shall be released today.

Forgot to develop the blocus system I had in mind.
It was done then, with a little tweak to custom map generation too.

Debug is done so ....

There it is avaible for all to download, with its presentation there !

Please feel free to post there your thoughts about the features displayed on ameliorations purpose !
File is removed for few minutes, time to solve an important issue with unit.attackSpent to get rid of.

Last edited:
Hi Dadais - how do you install this? Forgive me but I'm not very experienced with "mods". Thanks :)

Hi Dadais - how do you install this? Forgive me but I'm not very experienced with "mods". Thanks :)
With totpp18, one simply have to put the uncompressed folder in its civ2 folder.

:)
Then, to play in civ2,
One can either "begin a scenario" like usual to load rome300bc or wwi .scn files,
or still on the main menu "play a mod" to launch a modded new game.

This Post shall store alterations to be integrated in the 1.1 version correcting last bugs.
You may correct them first on your side using the latest fix.

1. Unit solo upgrade on keypress "1" bug " -corrected
2. Independance luxuries calcul error -corrected

Attachments

• latestFix.7z
    36.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
An error got spotted related to independance for cities at a high level of development.
Corrections are now set in a "fix" file to uncompress in the mod folder you may download there.

Greetings all !
I worked a little on the mod to integrate two more scenarii.

Furthermore, I altered the code both to correct few bugs (support in colonies, interceptions ...) and to make integration of other scenarii easier : scenariiIntegration.lua shall be the file for that.

The download is avaible here
Save files shall be compatible (no sensible change), one juste have to overwrite the previous mod folder with this new one for the update.

! still no sound personalisation, you may keep your rules.txt file if you already altered it to your taste.

@Tanelorn if you wish, and with much thanks to @Prof. Garfield ;)

May you have fun !

Top Bottom