Orthanc's Creation Thread

The vikings had many variations on their boats. But they were all more or less the same. There were local names and such which varied a bit, but this had more to do with local slang and the intended use of the ship then the design.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Well if everyone doesn't mind another Viking ship I suppose I could try animating it. What do you think Bjorn?
Please do as amuses you. I want to limit no one.
Even though you can be a bit of a pessimist :p

I think there should be dozens of viking ships. They came in a huge variety of sizes.

I would love to see versions from you and Orthanc.

But even if there were only two exact models and both of them were built, even that should not stop you from persueing your passion.

Ripptide had made a reasonably good IS-3 well before I decided to do my own take on it with the updated IS-3m.

here is some little know info for you.

The viking longship's were considerably faster then originally thought. The discovery (or history) channel had a race between a state of the art "American's Cup" racing yacht and a replica viking ship. The viking ship was not correctly rigged (which had the effect of making the replica slower to tack and slightly slower top speed then the original) the replica longship nearly won. It seems the clinker hull has a previously unknown effect of sucking air under the hull as the ship nears 10-12knots... causing the surface friction to be dramatically reduced and the ship to jump tp 16-17 knots... compare that to the average speed of ships of the day 4-knots... and you can see how shocking the speed of the raiders would have been to the "victims".
Viking fighting between ships was rare. When it happened, it would typically involve the lashing of many ships together to form a fighting platform. This platform would then attempt to hook into the oppositions ship(s) and the fight would be hand to hand, typical viking style.
The viking ships were a strange mixture of unsinkable and fragile. They had very thin hulls, but these hulls would flex as the ship moved through the waves. This would improve the abilty of the ship to handle even the roughest open seas. They could, and did even cross the atlantic.
Their largest limit was their marginal cargo capacity. This dictated how long they could be at sea. Their speed was great, so that even though they could be at sea for a shorter period, they could still cover 2-3 times the distance of their peers.

I asked for a ship much like this when I wanted to do a Norse scenario...I would love to see a more "stereotypical" Viking ship...but as Im not exactly sure what a Drakkar is(other than a cologne that was popular in the 80s)...Id like to see it...I do hope that a Drakkar is the "Huge Viking" ship with the HUGE figere head and the shields on the sides, etc...

While ships are being discussed...I had an idea for a ship like the one in "Sinbad's 7 Voyages"(the "bad guy's"(name??) ship, with the Mechinical Minotaur)...and I believe it might still be the same type of ship being talked about here...but again, Im not sure what a Drakkar is(only that it smelled bad in the 80s)

You can find my to-do list in my Artist Availability post here.

As for a viking ship, I did that Lodya (which is from ancient Russia, but same type of people), but I wouldn't mind doing another ship, eventually.

I'm probably going to give the Drakkar a go. Sorry for the small threadjack Orthanc.

Bjorn: I did hear about the viking replica beating the modern racing vacyt. It gives me chills to think what the Vikings would have developed into had they maintained their surpremacy and not slowly faded away.

Eh, it's all good, gives the thread more viewers if multiple topics are being discussed.

A viking replica ship beat a modern yacht?:eek:

Anywho, modelling is nearly done, just got the main sails and some ropes to add, how is it?

Attachments

• p2.JPG
    p2.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 236
Orthanc, this thing seems wonderful!!! :goodjob: It would be perfect for a 17th or 18th century ship for the viking in a what if scenario. I will sure use this!

Spacer One said:
...but again, Im not sure what a Drakkar is(only that it smelled bad in the 80s)

As I said in a previous post on this thread (99), Drakkar is nothing else than the French name given to the Viking longboat. Although I agree there should be more variations of viking longboats!! :p

Spacer One said:
I asked for a ship much like this when I wanted to do a Norse scenario...I would love to see a more "stereotypical" Viking ship

I personally use the Viking Longboat done by Kal-el, which is very stereotypical. Here is the link on Civ3files (too lazy to search for it on CFC):
http://www.civ3files.com/cgi-bin/Civ3Files.cgi?Page=ShowUnits&Start=40&SortBy=1&Reverse=0&PerPage=20&Previews=1&UnitTypes=20

I don't know how is the one created by Firaxis since I don't have Conquests. Kal-el never made a death animation for that boat. And before I realized Aaglo made a quick one (you'll find it at the end of the longboat thread here on CFC) I made my own, pretty basic though. If anyone is interested in getting it, i'll bump the longboat thread...

Attachments

• LongboatDeath.gif
    LongboatDeath.gif
    217.9 KB · Views: 267
Orthanc said:
Eh, it's all good, gives the thread more viewers if multiple topics are being discussed.

A viking replica ship beat a modern yacht?:eek:

Anywho, modelling is nearly done, just got the main sails and some ropes to add, how is it?
The viking ship lost, but just barely. They theorized that if the replica crew had been as used to their ship as the racing yacht crew was, or if the replica creators had been able to more accurately get the sail rigging then it would have been a tie or perhaps the viking ship could have won (just barely).
The race was run in Danemark around 2-3 years ago, as I recall. The fact that the clinker hull would hydroplane came as a huge suprise to everyone as all the experts had previously speculated that the maximum speed of the viking ships was 11-12knots, which was still hugely faster then other ships of the era, which supposedly ranged from 4 to 8 knots depending on the ship type.

I use the Firaxis one for a Longship, and the Kal-el one made as a "longboat", basicially the early ship for the vikings, with the longboat being a later one requireing the discovery of a special viking tech. I remember the Lodya, which is basically a local slang for the same ship used by the swede's that conquered russia, as I recall. I can't recall why I haven't started using your lodya yet. Maybe I am just lazy? For Kal-el's I reduced the size about 20% so it would be the smaller of the two.

I'd make my own versions, except I can't luff the sails in my 3d program the way you do on yours.

I like this new model. It is coming along well.

beboy said:
It would be perfect for a 17th or 18th century ship for the viking in a what if scenario.

Ok, well.., next time I'll read the whole thread before posting.. This way, I will avoid embarassing mistakes like this one. :blush:

But I really like this model Orthanc. I never though of creating a South Asian Civilization but this unit will sure diserve it. This will open a complete new part of the world for me and others, I'm sure. Thanks! :)

Well, didn't see this coming, but Orthanc needs a little assistance from aaglo again!:blush:

Alright, I'm trying to put in that sunburst design, which I agree looks great with this. Any non-prolific POV-Ray users should just ignore everything else in this post aside from the attachments, so you can see what's up.

Anywho, I'm using a radial texture pattern to generate the 'burst', the issue is (and I've never seen this happen before) is that whenever I rotate the entire model (you've seen my files so you know how I organize things aaglo) the 'burst' moves out of alignment. The two images attached should show you what's going on.

I was going to post the problematic text, but it occurred to me that just attaching the files themselves would be easier. I figure its something wonky in either the way the texture is set up, or how the texture is being applied to the sails, or its something fundamentally wrong with the radial pattern.

Never mind, I fixed it myself. I had to turn off the uv mapping for the radial part of the texture and that did it. Since I fixed it I've removed the attachements in my previous post related to the issue. Actually modelling is now done, so onto animating, and that shouldn't take very long at all.:D

Attachments

• p5.JPG
    p5.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 205
:lol: When it comes to food, I'm not very cultured, if at all. The pictures provided to me are all I had to go on really.

Anyways, the Fune is done, (find it here) so onto the next Thai ship, a warship that'll be significantly larger. Do you think I should give the warship medieval rockets?

Top Bottom