OSG5 - Paranoid Communists

I agree fully about wasting population growth on my core planets, I realized that too late. It's probably a good idea to build one colony ship fast to make use of what population is still available. My main priority was getting to the Rich planet as soon as possible, I think it'll make a big difference.

22.5% of the total cost? What's left? Add 22.5% of what's already invested? Sorry for the questions, but I usually don't micro the research this much; different play-style :) But this is why I play SG's; to learn new techniques/philosophies.

My immediate goal will be to grab that 105 jungle. I don't want to lose it, and I CERTAINLY don't want the Meklar's on our border with a system that big :eek:

Catwalk's extreme micro research relies on taking advantage of the manner in which MOO calculates research interest. For every BC you put into research, a certain amount of it gets tripled for free as a result of the interest calculation, based on the total amount of RP you've put in so far. So, a start-small-and-increase-gradually research stratagem maximizes the number of free RP you get per BC invested, and thereby minimizes the number of BC you have to invest to get the tech. (Note that this doesn't mean you will get the tech quickly, just inexpensively.)

If you want to build a colony ship in a reasonable timeframe, you will probably need to put a cap on the number of BC you will allocate towards Dead bases research. Still, so long as you don't decrease your BC allocation to research, you can always increase research funding again later to continue to take advantage of the interest mechanism.

EDIT: You can increase the amount of BC you are spending towards research by 22.5% per turn to maximize interest. So for instance if you were generating 50RP total this turn, you'd want to generate 61 RP next turn. Whether maximizing interest every turn is what we want to do here is up to you.

Yep, what Zed said. If you already have 200 points invested in a field, the first 15BC invested will give 3 RP each, after that you get 1RP / BC. Meaning you'd get up to 245 RP, or +22.5%. I invested 49 BC on my last turn, so around 62 RP or something like that. Basically it means that your research will be highly effective up until that number. By my calculations you'll get Dead colonization in 10 hours, might be an idea to start building a colony ships and then completing it after Dead hits. Will only be a delay of 3-4 turns, and you'll get the second one built much faster. Not to mention the +44BC per turn you'll get from the higher Planetology levels.

EDIT: And yes, the main point is to get a tech cheaper. The larger your initial investment before going with full interest research, the faster you'll get the tech and the more it'll cost you.

I just got home from work. Looks like we're doing ok. I'm going to take a look at the save shortly. I usually do that before I comment on anything specific.

- Maniac

Turn 2322:

- Omicron: Barren 65 Rich, definitely worth defending, another Scorpion ordered. Getting a Rich planet is top priority so we can make our reserves useful.

Rock on. That planet and the size 105 Terran are both really, really important to us. One for ship building (we're going to need fighters or missile boats soon probably and here's the place to build them)

Turn 2324:

- Neither Barren nor cleanup teach available, so IT+10 it is. Both range techs available, Hydrogen fuel cells selected as many systems are in the 4 parsec range.

It sucks that the cleanup tech wasn't available, however +10 is a great tech! As for the choice in range... Six of one, half a dozzen of the other. I'd have gone for range 5 and hoped to grab neuclear engines after it. I don't usually care for nuclear engines, but we're looking at early war so....

That's just how I'd have gone. Doesn't mean I'd have been right.

I must agree with Zed though. I expceted that the Ocean and Arid planets to the west would at least have ships en route by now. Natural population growth is one of the few things we have going for us! Lets capitalize on it.

- Starts slow research to take max advantage of the tech interest, 3 points in each. Imperial records show that conventional wisdom about tech interest is incorrect. Rather than doubling all investments below 15% of the current investment, all investments below 7.5% are tripled. Keeping this in mind, Comrade Catwalk endeavors to increase research spenditure by 22.5% every year to triple all investments.

That's very true. However, sometimes you run into "gotta have it ASAP" techs, and, if I was going for range 4 and immediate colony ships, I'd probably have gone this route.. Again, no clear best answer for this situation.

Turn 2326:

- News report that we are first in population, the other races must have been stunted. Final war is looming... [Order: Darlok, Meklar, Silicoid, Klackon, Sakkra]

Thats shocking. With 2 planets were #1??

Turn 2329:

- Silicoids have 6 systems!

That's probably a GOOD thing. Thank god it wasn't the Meklars!

- With Controll Dead Environment (costs 2830RP), our colony ships will drop from 546BC to 423BC and our production will rise by 0.21BC / colonist. with full population on both planets that's +44BC per turn. With 4 colony ships we will be saving 492BC. With an initial investment of 229BC it will take 13 turns to reach a 3% chance of breakthrough, costing a total of 1200BC. Including the 492BC saved, this is a very good investment, considering that we won't be able to make our factories more effective with efficient cleanup tech in the near future. It will delay early expansion and growth, but will let us claim Omicron faster.

All very true, and this is something that might work great on large maps, where you take a breather while waiting for the next level of planetology or propulsion, but, keep in mind, we lost out on the pop growth and the BC that they'd be generating... I can't agree with the decision, though I understand your reasoning. Personally, with an early war looming, I'd rather plant the flag and try to get planets stood up sooner and damn the cost :hammer:

As far as immage hosting, try http://imageshack.us

They offer free, unlimited hosting and have for a few years so that isn't expected to change. These forums even reccomend using them.

I must say, the game is progressing fairly well, though. I reccomend expanding to at least one planet asap to get the pop growth working for us. Beyond that, hard to say.

- Maniac

Edit: There is a yellow star south of our size 105 prize that we should scout.

Reprimands accepted :spank: You're right in everything you say. I haven't played MOO in a long time, and I do indeed usually prefer larger maps. Maybe the production penalty threw me off a bit too, at least I'll keep that as my excuse.

Also, I think the Silicoids are up north. First I guessed east, but when Drakka was uninhabited and I met bugs there, the cluster to the north-east of the yellow stars is the second best bet.

It wasn't a reprimand. I just like to comment and discuss a lot. I was a member of the Endless Disscussion Team (TM) Afterall :)

I'm far from a perfect player, so don't think just because I say I'd do or have done something that I'm allways right. :)

Your probably right about the rocks.... Did you notice anything coming from the west?? I'm thinking that it might be totally open down there. If so, we might have a winnable start.

Nah it's fine, I appreciate constructive criticism. I may have too much of a leaning towards early Planetology science, I should fire up a few Medium games and see what really works best.

In slight defense of my decision, it was about getting to Omicron (rich 65 barren). We will need three colony ships to get there, I think we would end up landing there at the same time with or without early Planetology science.

Meklar had a scout at Gienah, Bootis and Proxima. I gather from this that they are in the centre and have expanded left and south a bit. I would say the far west is currently empty, or someone is stunted there.

One more thing though, I disagree about tech interest. If you are able to micro it (easy in the start, I don't bother with it mid-game), then you should do this no matter what, even if you want it as soon as possible. Unless you really mean as soon as possible, meaning all BC spent on research. It is far better to start a bit earlier, the investment rate on tech interest is much higher than the investment rate on factories. Especially until you get cleanup tech. I did start research very early for this reason, I think we get the techs reasonably fast.

I really meant ASAP. :) I often go for planetology/range with all BC. And you may be right. I've never crunched #'s over it. I allways let other people do that for me :lol:

ASAP would mean putting everything on research from turn three or four, that would indeed get you the techs as soon as possible. You will be spending BC on industry for a while, and eventually decide that you want range and planetology tech. My point is that by starting earlier you will still get it whenever you want it, and you will be spending much less production on it. I would have started research up slowly much earlier in this case, right after the first two scorpions were done.

Pre-game notes:
*My top priority is to secure Gienah. Any planet we don't claim is lost to us forever since we cannot invade, and I don't want to miss something this big. Especially to the Meklar's :scan:.
*Next priority is to finish Controlled Dead. Dunno if that will happen on my watch, but I want to advance it. By my count, looks like Catwalk put in about 610 RP.
*Given that the Rocks are NOT at Drakka, and to my knowledge we haven't met them, my guess is they are at the yellow N of the nebula in the center, and expanded into the NE. I'm guessing the bugs are at the yellow at the bottom-right of the "triangle" in the center-right; bottom left they'd be at Bootis, top I don't think they could try to scout Drakka. Meklar's in the cluster as Catwalk said. No news of the Sakkra, so they must be off in a corner somewhere.

2340:
*Scorpian @ Quayal --> Yellow S of Gienah.
*Scorpian @ Moscow --> Drakka. I would not have left this system undefended to scout a backline planet, but so it goes. Hope the Klackons don't come back to try and scout it again.
*Design a Large col ship with 1 laser. Ouch! Will take Moscow 7 years to build. Dump 40 BC from reserves to Moscow to help out; looks like I can shave off 2 turns if I do that every time.
*Militarily, I think we are ok for now. Ideally I'd like another Scorpian in the NE, but I think Dead tech is more important. Quayal set to give 46 BC to Dead, rest to terraforming.

IBT: White star N of Omicron is Tao, 25 Tundra.

2341:
*Scorpian that scouted Tao sent back to Omicron.
*Omicron finished T-forming, 55BC to Dead. Unfortunately, that's it's max available contribution, so until Moscow builds the col ships, that's all we can contribute to research each turn.

IBT: Correctly identify a Warcat :p

2342: :sleep:

IBT: Scorpion arrives at the yellow W of Bootis, Maretta, and, um, am I reading this right? Terran :eek: Size 115 :eek: UNINHABITED!?!? :dubious: Wow. Uh, wow. (Did I say wow??)
*Yellow S of Drakka is Klystron, size 15 Inferno.

2343: Ok, let's take a minute and look at the implications of the discovery at Maretta.
1) The Meklar must be at the yellow star directly W of Maretta. If he was at the one to the NW, Maretta is in range. (Maretta is at 7 parsecs and the NW star is at 9)
2) The green directly W of Maretta must be uninhabitable, or the Meklar would have settled at Maretta via that star. It looks to be in range of my homeworld-guess. The Yellow to the NW looks to be 4-5 parsecs from my guess, so they couldn't hop here directly from there without range tech. It might be uninhabitable as well, but no way to tell.
3) The Sakkra are not sharing this cluster with the Meklar's, and they are not to the SE, so my guess is they are in the SW or NW corner. Gut tells me NW, as we should have seen scouts if they were in the SW. Here's a map of my guesses, circled in the color of the racial flags:

4) I now have a very difficult choice. I can either:
a) Proceed as planned. 2 ships to grab Paladia then Gienah, complete Dead, then grab Omicron, and then the rest.
b) Use my two ships to grab Proxima and Maretta, complete Dead, then Omicron, then the rest.
c) Abandon Dead :eek: and build 4 ships to grap all of the habitables.

After pondering this for a few minutes, I decide on option b). Assuming I'm right on my homeworld guesses, Gienah is actually safe for the moment. If we can get it, I think we REALLY want Maretta, and if the Meklar's get it, we could be in some serious hurt. And I think that Omicron is next in line of importance, over Gienah, and Proxima will help for that.

*Moscow still building its col ship, 55 BC from Quayal to Controlled Dead.
*Scorpian @ Klystron --> Blue N of Drakka to scout.

2344: :sleep:

2345:
*Col ship completes at Moscow; will take 6 years to reach Proxima. That's how long Moscow will take to build its next col ship, with some help from reserves.

2346: Scorpian arrives at Drakka, nobody home.

IBT: Scorpian arrives at Y S of Gienah, and it's Steppe.. size 30, and ARTIFACTS!! :woohoo: We pull Inertial Stabilizers as our tech, meh.
*Empire production rankings: meklar, Klackon, Silicoid, Darlok, Sakkra

2347:
*Well, Beta Ceti kind of confirms that the SE is empty. Scorpian leaves for Omicron to provide some extra support there. I'd pull a switch with the one at Gienah, but I'm too paranoid about it being scouted.
*Moscow now claims to be able to do 4 turns without reserves help (and with the base spending), so I pump the reserves to Quayal to speed Controlled Dead bumping up its contribution from 55 to 81.

2348:
*82 BC to Controlled Dead.

IBT: Blue N of Drakka has no planet.

2349:
*Scorpian @ asteroids --> Bootis. This leaves us only 1 in the East, but I think that's ok for now.
*86 BC to Controlled Dead.

2350:
*87 BC to Controlled Dead. Should hit percentages next turn.

IBT: Klackons attempt to Scout Maretta.
*Proxima founded -- bringing us contact with the Meklar's. They are Xenophobic Expansionists.

2351:
*Meklon is indeed where I thought it would be. However, both the green AND the yellow to its East are colonized. So how is Maretta not!? :confused: This is weird, especially with their expansionist bent.
*Col ship completed at Moscow. We'll see if Maretta is still available when it gets there in 8 years.
*20 colonists from Quayal to Proxima, cutting research to 69BC. Dead is at 2% this turn.
*Moscow continues to build a col ship, credits towards our ship for Omicron.

2352:
*Dead at 4%. 75 BC added.
*I just noticed that Moscow built its first missile base sometime in the recent past :lol:

2353:
*Dead at 6%. 80 BC added.
*Moscow is 5 yrs from another col, plan is to run that to 1, then help finish research if not done by then.

2354:
*Dead at 8%. 80 BC added.

2355:
*Dead at 10%. 80 BC added.
*Colonists arrive at Proxima.

2356:
*Dead at 12%. 83 BC added.

IBT: Silicoid's get the wealthy merchant event and nab 500 BC

2357:
*Moscow is now at 1 turn for the col ship; switches to research. Now at 157 BC, 17% chance.

IBT: Klackon fleet arrives at Bootis. They brought an armed col ship, another large, and two mediums. The scorpian I sent from the east arrived the same turn. I decide to take my chances and see what they're packing.

That's two turns in. Since the col ship hasn't retreated, it's packing something. My thought in engaging is that there are asteroids to thin the missiles if they are so armed, and if that's all they have, I might be able to fend them off. At this junncture, the large just fired a missile. Unfortunately, both the mediums and the large had heavy lasers, and I lost a ship retreating. The large only fired two missiles, so looks like a 2 rack. Stupid to fight? Perhaps, but it seemed to fit with our theme :ar15:

Oh yeah, and we also got this little tidbit between turns as well:

:help: Well then.

2358: Ok, so now we are at war with the Meklar's, who have 4 planets, and are currently first in production, and the Klackons now have an outpost on our border. No wonder we're paranoid!
*Surviving scorpian ordered to Maretta
*Dead at 21%, putting in 154BC this turn. Little bit of bad luck, not hitting yet.

IBT: Hah! I jinked the game :) Dead came in. Looks like we've got terra +30 (or +20), spores, or toxic (or inferno) as our choices. The spores interested me for a moment, but I ultimately chose +30.
*Maretta founded (until it gets squashed by the Meklar's.)

2359: Last turn.
*Designed a col E ship with a laser; unfortunately, even with reserves Moscow can't build it in one turn.
*Quayal assigned to produce 2 scorpians, RELOC to Maretta.
*We met the Klackons, they are Erratic Technologists. And I was right about where their homeworld was ;)
*GAHH!! I just remembered the propaganda rule. We missed 9 turns. :cry: I assign 1.2% to each Meklar and Klackon. This is completely my mistake, and I apologize for it.
*I see two large ships at Moro, the green next door to Maretta. They can stomp us at any time. I don't send colonists there; that will be the next comrade's decision.

IBT: Nothing happened.

Post-Game Report:

First off, I want to apologize again for the propaganda mistake. I got wrapped up, and it slipped my mind. Nothing I can do about it, unfortunately, but I am sorry.

As for our position, well. We did make Maretta :lol: Omicron doesn't look to be in too much danger, but I don't see how we can hold Maretta, which is why I didn't send colonists. However, if Zed feels it's worth it, I wanted some defenses moving that way, hence the scorpian build. If not, they can easily be re-directed to Proxima or Omicron. Also, keep in mind any colonists you send may end up in an invasion war with Meklar troops. I don't see this as a rules violation as we can't control it, but it is something to consider. Obviously we need to balance our future expansion with some defenses now, and not fall completely behind in tech. Um, good luck Zed :thumbsup:

On a side note, I've noticed in a couple other games that if you don't talk to a race you meet ever, they are more likely to declare war out of the blue, even from neutral relations. Can't back it up with proof, just an observation; I usually dial up a chat at least once in any case, but obviously didn't here.

The Save

Final map:

Busy weekend, so I couldn't do much but copy and paste my notes last night before crashing. Our situation here is of some concern. Our tech situation is sad. Our expansion is pitiful (expected under these rules, but still pitiful :rolleyes: ) Our economic/growth situation is BEYOND critical. Moscow hasn't even maxed factories yet, Quayal isn't even close, Proxima was just founded and is growing SLOW under the tax, and we need to be building col ships, defenders, and researching.

After all that work to get it, I don't see how we can possibly hang on to Maretta. I was going for it under the assumption that the Meklar would not be in range immediately, and we would have a shot at it. Still don't know how it stayed uncolonized for so long. My only guess is the green near it was Barren or Tundra and the 'bots just learned that tech. With that beind said, I would almost be in favor of abandoning Maretta to colonize/consolidate what we DO have. We definitely don't want to lose Omicron and Gienah. Will be interesting to see what you decide, Zed :king:

dathon

Don't worry about the mistake. No big deal. I expected some mistakes with all the unnatural choices weve forced uppon ourselves.

I'd probably just let the huge planet go. I can't see how we can defend it. It's nice to see onl large meklar ships in the save and not huges though.

Hard luck getting stabilizers from the artifacts planet instead of a useful earl war tech.

Harder luck getting the Meklars to declare on us, though it was probably pretty much unavoidable. It's possible your combat provoked them, but it was almost ceartianlly going to happen soon at any rate.

I had hoped that there would be some other wars going on when we got contact, but we'll make due.

I'm not going to make any reccomendations to Zed for what to do here, because I'm sure he has his own ideas :)

-Maniac

As regards planetary invasions. I suggest the following as allowed unless anyone objects.

1) Invading planets in revolt is allowed. NO ABUSING this by formenting revolts on planets that were just founded and haven't recieved their initial pop!!!!! If I see anyone putting a 2 pop planet in to revolt......

If in doubit, don't do it! WE MAY, however, forment a revolt on a planet that WAS ours but just recently taken over for purposes of invasion.

2) We can send troops to a planet that is currently ours, even if we know that its going to be taken over before the troops arrive. Warring over our own planets is ok. As soon as the flag is a diffrent color, though, all troop shipments must cease immediately until such time as it is recaptured or revolting.

Propaganda clarification: I haven't used this much, and I haven't noticed an option to choose which planet when it does hit. Is there a way to direct your espionage attacks to certain systems?

Thanks,
dathon

Top Bottom