Our Civ's Attributes

YNCS

Ex-bubblehead
The three items that determine which Civ we play are the two characteristics and the UU. C3C's characteristics are:
  • Agricultural
  • Commercial
  • Expansionist
  • Industrious
  • Militaristic
  • Religous
  • Scientific
  • Seafaring

For those not familiar with Conquests, the new characteristics work as follows:

Agricultural has Pottery (Masonry if paired with Expansionist) as a starting tech. The bonuses are:
  • Base city squares produce one additional food.
  • irrigated deserts produce one additional food
  • Cheaper costs for Aqueducts, Recycling Plants, and Solar Plants.

Seafaring has Alphabet (Pottery if paired with Commercial) as a starting tech. The bonuses are:
  • Typically, starting location is near the coast.
  • Coastal cities receive bonus commerce in the base city square.
  • Ships have a smaller chance of sinking in sea/ocean squares prior to discovery of Astronomy.
  • Cheaper costs for Harbor, Coastal Fortress, Commercial Docks, and Offshore Platforms.
  • Ships have one more movement.

The various UUs can be broken down as being Land, Sea, or Air units and Early, Middle Ages, Industrial, or Modern Age. I'm not going to attempt to list all of the UUs.

I think we should determine our two characteristics first and then decide on which UU we should have.

My preferences for characteristics are 1. Industrious and 2. Scientific.

While Industrious has been somewhat reduced from Vanilla, having our worker units work faster improves everything else; population growth, gp earned, and the time needed to build stuff. IMHO, Industrious is the best characteristic.

Scientific has the advantage of the free tech every time we change eras.

The combination of Industrious and Scientific is found in only two Civs, the Persians and Ottomans. The Persians have a good Early UU, the Immortal. However, the Ottomans have, IMNSHO, the best Middle Age UU, the Sipahi, a cavalry unit (needs both gunpowder and horses) with 8 attack/3 defense/3 movement. Sipahis become obsolete with the advent of tanks, but can even stand up to the first tanks.

I would chose two of the following four Civ Attributes:

Commericial
Seafaring
Industrial
Agricultural

The problem with Seafaring is that it's only really useful in Archipelagos. With a Pangaea, it does little good for us.

While my choice for the first characteristic is Industrious, I'm more flexible on the second characteristic. Agricultural is good in the early game, where the settler factory is too often waiting on population increases rather than production, and where we want all of our cities to build population. Commercial cuts down on corruption. Religious gives cheaper temples (culture and happiness) and quick government changes.

YNCS said:
The problem with Seafaring is that it's only really useful in Archipelagos. With a Pangaea, it does little good for us.

While my choice for the first characteristic is Industrious, I'm more flexible on the second characteristic. Agricultural is good in the early game, where the settler factory is too often waiting on population increases rather than production, and where we want all of our cities to build population. Commercial cuts down on corruption. Religious gives cheaper temples (culture and happiness) and quick government changes.

I would prefer to use Industrial and Agricultural (Mayans maybe?). If were going to switch to conquests though, we have to use alteast one of the new traits.

I think, in honor of our first C3C game, we should play one of the new Civs. Whether that's the Ottomans or whoever, I'm flexible.

The New Civ/Old Civ choice would probably be a decision we could make quite quickly to narrow down the options. I would definitely go with New Civ.

As for the Ottomans, I just love those Siphai (and the Scientific/Industrious traits) and have played the Ottomans quite a lot since I got C3C. Not sure if I would choose them for the DG6 though - to have those Siphai and not be able to use them...

The new civs in C3C are:

Arabs Expansionist/Religious. UU Ansar Warrior 4/2/3, required horses & iron, replaces Knight.

Byzantines Seafaring/Scientific. UU Dromon 2/1/3 Transport 2, no resources required, replaces Galley.

Carthaginians Seafaring/Industrious. UU Numidian Mercenary 2/2/1, no resources required, replaces Spearman.

Celts Agricultural/Religious. UU Gallic Swordsman 3/2/2, requires iron, replaces Swordsman.

Hitties Commerical/Expansionist. UU 3-Man Chariot 2/2/2, requires horses, replaces Chariot.

Inca Agricultural/Expansionist. UU Chasqui Scout 1/1/2, no resources required, replaces Scout.

Koreans Commerical/Scientific. UU Hwach'a 0/0/1 (Bombard 8/Range 1/Fire per round 1, lethal bombard), requires saltpeter, replaces Cannon.

Mayans Agricultural/Industrious. UU Javelin Thrower 2/2/1 Enslavement, requires no resources, replaces Archer.

Mongols Expansionist/Militaristic. UU Keshik 4/2/2, requires horses, replaces Knight.

Netherlands Seafaring/Agricultural. UU Swiss Mercenary 1/4/1, requires iron, replaces Pikeman.

Ottomans Industrious/Scientific. UU Sipahi 8/3/3, requires horses and saltpeter, replaces Cavalry.

Portugal Seafaring/Expansionist. UU Carrack 2/2/3 Transport 3, does not sink in ocean, requires no resources, replaces Caravel.

Scandinavians Seafaring/Militaristic. UU Berserk 6/2/1 amphibious attack, requires no resources, replaces Longbowman.

Spanish Seafaring/Religious. UU Conquistador 3/2/2 treat all terrain as roads, requires horses, replaces Explorer.

Sumeria Agricultural/Scientific. UU Enkidu Warrior 1/2/1 extra HP, requires no resources, replaces Warrior.

BTW, several Civs have different characteristics changed from Vanilla:
  • Aztecs to Agricultural/Militaristic
  • England to Seafaring/Commercial
  • Iroquois to Agricultural/Commercial

I'm not sure how we go about decided what Civ to play, but I'll list my personal preferances anyway:

1. Ottomans. Historically a very powerful empire with a rich and unique culture. They conquered large parts of Europe and the Middle East, imposing their customs and government upon a diverse group of people. However, there were also skilled in diplomacy, and were a major factor in European politics up until the first World War. Their traits are excellent, and their UU looks very impressive. Definately my first choice.

2. Netherlands. If we wanted to play a nation unlike the one we played in DG5 (Japan), this would be the Civ to do it. The Netherlands were powerful traders and diplomats who rarely, if ever, used force to influence world politics. There were, at one point, the premiere center for trade and commerce in Europe. Their traits are a bit mixed (I'm not sure Seafaring will come in very handy), but Agriculture will be very useful for the early parts of the game; and their UU looks to be a very strong defender.

3. Mayans. Who could resist the chance to turn one of history's underdogs into a dominant World Power? To be honest, I don't know that much about Mayan culture, other than that they were much less warlike than their neighbors the Aztecs. Still, their traits look very good, and if I understand "enslavement" correctly their UU could come in very handy early on.

4. Byzantines. With all our debates and feuds, how can we not play as the Byzantines? :D

Top Bottom