Outposts Question

arienlee

Chieftain
After having just picked up PTW, I wanted to try to place a few outposts to keep watch on my neighbors. I place my first outpost on a hill. The Civilopedia says I should be able to see 3 squares away, but I can only see 2 squares away, the same as if I had put a guy on the hill. I know I could just put a unit on the hill to see, but I thought outposts could see further?

Is this a bug, or is the civilopedia wrong?

It is probably a mistake in the programming. The programmer probably made a three tile line and rotated it to create the line of sight. So yes, it would mean that it counts the first tile as one of the three, but it is not supposed to be that way.

I think if they are put on mountains, you can see 3 tiles.

Maybe their sight was blocked by high terrain. Like, with units, if there are mountains, hills, or whatever, you can't see as far. But I'm not sure if this applies to outposts, as I never bother with them.

Tomoyo said:
I think if they are put on mountains, you can see 3 tiles.

Correct. Outposts are only worth it if you build them on Mountains. Otherwise they're just a waste of a Worker.

never tried outpost.. is it of any practical use? never see any player using it in gotm.

It might be more useful in Multiplayer games where you have scouts on mountains between you and your opponent.

The civilopedia is wrong, misleading, or the outposts are bugged. I think it just didn't get much notice because nobody uses them much. Probably too late to expect a fix for it.

outposts are useful for seeing into other civs terriorty before railroads are all over the place you can see units leaving and entering a nearby city

They are also useful for keeping a former enemy territory, where you razed the cities, "lit up" to keep barbs from appearing and watching for AI landings. If you knock out a civ on one side of your continent but wawnt to concentrate your forces for wars on the other side outposts can become useful for keeping tabs on what is going on over there.

davidcrazy said:
never tried outpost.. is it of any practical use? never see any player using it in gotm.

They're definitely limited. I find them useful if my cultural boundaries meet another civ's in a mountain range, that's about it.

Another use of them if you have big chunk of tundra and don't want to build city there, you can put outpost to lid that area. This way barbarians won't annoy you.

Willem said:
Correct. Outposts are only worth it if you build them on Mountains. Otherwise they're just a waste of a Worker.

Agreed. My feeling is they should be built by a military and/or scout unit, not workers, and certainly not consuming the workers.

Jaca

Top Bottom