Overall Strategy Thread

How do you mean, only one sea connection? It should be possible to go around the landmass(es) in either the clockwise or anticlockwise direction, unless the mapmaker has placed icebergs in the way along the coast. And there's nothing to suggest that so far.

I never did get an answer to my Permanent Alliances query, is it in this game and should we consider using it with another Civ?

The Vikings have me worried in general with their Amphibious Beserkers that can be made into Rifleman later on. I myself did this on solo so I know how powerful it can be.

I don't think permanent alliances are turned on.

And I also wouldn't worry about the vikings for a while. Nobody can touch the starting island until after Astronomy anyway so we'll have plenty of time to worry about them when the time is right.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure permanent alliances weren't turned on. There has to be a single team leading the world to eventual victory. ;)

How do you mean, only one sea connection? It should be possible to go around the landmass(es) in either the clockwise or anticlockwise direction, unless the mapmaker has placed icebergs in the way along the coast. And there's nothing to suggest that so far.

A (badly drawn) picture of what i was talking about :)
Spoiler :

If we have a star-shaped mainland (red) with every civ on its own island (green), the only balance i can see is having only one sea (pre-astronomy) connection for each civ (blue line). That would be consistent with what we see, two parts of landmass in about 90 degree angles with only one connected to our island and one not.

Attachments

• map.gif
    map.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 305
A (badly drawn) picture of what i was talking about :)
Spoiler :

If we have a star-shaped mainland (red) with every civ on its own island (green), the only balance i can see is having only one sea (pre-astronomy) connection for each civ (blue line). That would be consistent with what we see, two parts of landmass in about 90 degree angles with only one connected to our island and one not.
But that doesn't match up with what we see in the screenshots.

Spoiler :

It's clear that City D or E with 1 border pop, or City A or B with 2 border pops, will open up a route across sea to the coast we can see. This is what I was talking about a while back when I mentioned the possibility of founding a city on the edge of the mainland specifically to open up a sea tile to invade another continent. We'll have a leg up in that because we're Creative. :)

Ah yes you're right, i didn't think of border-popping a sea route ;)

If i'm not forgetting about free beakers, i forget using borders for sea routes...i'll be a great help for this team i guess :lol:

I guess that's possible, but then why was the Great Lighthouse disabled if there was so little water?

I guess that's possible, but then why was the Great Lighthouse disabled if there was so little water?

We already know we'll have 4 cities on small island. That'll mean we could have ~8 around us on the coast, giving us 12 cities with 3 times as much trade route commerce, or roughly 24:commerce: per turn even without a single trade route with anyone else.

That's true, I guess. But if that was the case, why can't we see signs of more coast/land at the NW edge of the island, when we could see it at the SE and SW corners?

We might be slightly skewed towards the SE corner of our hole.

Also, I don't think we should over analyse what type of map we're on. Just focus on exploring it.

It's good and fun to speculate, but as long as we play what we see and not the speculation I think we'll be fine. In 10 turns we'll know more about the NW and NE anyway.

Disregard this post if it has been already mentioned and I'm sorry I bump it, but I really didn't want to start a thread just for basic stuff like this:
Are lake shore tiles considered coast tiles? I understand the 'stupidity' of the question("coast of the lake" doesn't sound good, does it?), but in the game rules could be.

Just a thought; do you think we should start a thread just to clear doubts that people might have or would arise about engine rules?

I understand that I'm late on the question, but I'm still catching up and still reading the GL thread in the main forums(and trying to catchup in here). Better ask as soon as possible than much later, I think.

Feel free to start a new thread on engine issues. We've mostly just discussed them wherever they come up so far.

Lake shores are different from coast at least in that they do not, on their own, enable a lighthouse. I'm not sure how they're treated with regards to trade routes and sailing however. Exactly what aspect of similarity were you concerned with?

Well, the Great Lighthouse was negated for some reason. Might be because of unbalance issues that woren't thought about before the disclosing of the map (map v1.1 patch? :)).
It's one more piece of data that might help bring enlightment on the map disposition/caracteristics.

EDIT: What if there's a civ that started with a settler on the shores of a big lake, being it unconnected to the sea? That might also be one more explanation for the negation of the GL. Am I making sense?

Your question makes some sense. Basically, from what we've seen so far, every team starts on their own island, with a 'moat' of ocean tiles which may only be crossed by spreading our own culture across them. The remaining land is roughly in the shape of a big 6 pointed star, with the team islands in the gaps between the spokes of the star.

The common view is that TGLighthouse was disabled because it is simply far too powerful on this map. It is more powerful than usual for two reasons.
1. Every city in this game, certainly early on, is going to be coastal.
2. The oceans between our islands and the other land make trade routes unusually profitable.

Top Bottom