Ozzy's Map of Erebus for Orbis

OzzyKP

Emperor
Here is my stab at creating an interesting, playable, and somewhat accurate (based on what little I know of the storyline) map for use with Kael's Fall from Heaven 2 mod and Ahwaric's Orbis modmod.

Version 1 (compatible with Orbis version .24 N) Uploaded 11-5-09:
Download Here.

This huge map includes all finished, playable civs (as of version .24 N). The leaders/civs included are:

Bannor - Sabathiel
Malakim - Varn Gosam
Elohim - Einion Logos
Luchuirp - Beeri Bawl
Kuriotates - Cardith
Ljosalfar - Arendel Phaedra
Mazatl - Hianthrogh

Khazad - Kandros Fir
Amurites - Valledia the Even
Grigori - Cassiel
Sidar - Sandalphon
Lanun - Hannah the Irin
Hippus - Tasunke
Mechanos - Verocchio
Scions of Patria - Risen Emperor

Doviello - Charadon
Balseraphs - Perpentach
Svartalfar - Faeryl Viconia
Clan of Embers - Sheelba
Calabim - Alexis
Sheaim - Tebryn Arbandi
Illians - Auric

As with previous versions I took care to balance the placement of good/neutral/evil civs, though the three new Orbis civs I added were neutral, neutral & good so that unbalanced things a bit. I didn't move around existing civs very much, just expanded the land a bit to squeeze in the new civs. No civ should be totally surrounded by enemies nor entirely enclosed by friends. Most civs are on one main continent with the Lanun on a nearby island. Five civs (one good, three neutral and one evil) are placed on a separate continent. There should be enough room (and open civ slots) for Mercurians and Infernal to spawn.

Civs were placed according to their native land. Hippus are in a great central plain. Khazad are in a mountain range. Doviello are in the tundra, etc.

I did my best to arrange civs according to who their neighbors are in the storyline I found on the wiki. I was only able to find a description for Bannor (that the Clan of Embers were to their east, Doviello to their northwest, and Lunun in islands to the west). You should note that the Khazad and Luchuirp are now neighbors as are the Ljosalfar and Svartalfar.

Finally I tried to make the map conform to natural geographic characteristics with two large mountain chains running north and south situated in the east and the west of the main continent. In both cases the mountains divide greener land closer to the ocean and drier land in the interior. I also did my best to cluster resources to necessitate trade between civs.

Any comments, suggestions, complaints are certainly welcome. The "development thread" is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236321

Thanks! I hope y'all enjoy it!

To use:
1. Download file and unzip map into My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps
2. Load Orbis Mod
3. Select "Start Scenario" (from either single player or multiplayer)
4. Pick "Ozzy's Map of Erebus for Orbis"
5. Enjoy!

Oh great ! Just when I've got something else to do ! :)

It works with Orbis patch M as well :) don't know about L :)
I like this map :) Just my two cents:
1) It seems there are a lot of 'random' tiles. I mean things like 1-3 tiles of desert surrounded by grassland (like bannor starting position) or grasslands next to ice and tundra (near Doviello starting position). Is it intentional ?
2) Mazatl have 9 tiles of marsh in their BFC. They are not bad tiles on their own (2 :food: 1 :commerce: )but can't be improved until construction.
3) Malakim have lots of flood plains along with some desert hills for production (they get bonuses from deserts in Orbis). It needs more playtesting, but I thing it might be too much.

It works with Orbis patch M as well :) don't know about L :)
I like this map :) Just my two cents:
1) It seems there are a lot of 'random' tiles. I mean things like 1-3 tiles of desert surrounded by grassland (like bannor starting position) or grasslands next to ice and tundra (near Doviello starting position). Is it intentional ?

Yea, it is intentional.

2) Mazatl have 9 tiles of marsh in their BFC. They are not bad tiles on their own (2 :food: 1 :commerce: )but can't be improved until construction.

All jungle would make it too easy for them. :) But some testing to see how well it balances would be good. I played a test game and was doing quite well even with the swamp. Let me know if it is too difficult.

I3) Malakim have lots of flood plains along with some desert hills for production (they get bonuses from deserts in Orbis). It needs more playtesting, but I thing it might be too much.

In all the non-Orbis games the Malakim usually did quite poorly and often get wiped out early. Let me know if they are too powerful in this mod/map and I can nerf them.

Hmmm, it seems there aren't any barbarian lairs on this map. Is it intended?

The lairs are placed randomly when you start a game. So are huts. Wouldn't want them to be in the same spot each game, that gets boring and predictable.

Edit: Hmm, odd. I started up a game and you're right, no lairs, no huts. Gimmie a sec, I'm looking into it.

Is it possible to use this map with Fall Further? Or is there another version for that?

I love this map; it's been a favorite of mine ever since you made the original version. I have to say, though, I have yet to play a game where the Malakim didn't just absolutely dominate in this version. They FAR outtech everyone else.

Malakim get huge bonuses in Orbis: +1 :food: for every desert tile and yurt line of improvements, especially aduar.
This map was created for FfH, and Malakim in desert are not that good in FfH. So they probably got something to compenstae that - and that little extra, not enough to let them survive in FfH, lets them expand fast in Orbis version of the map.

That is just theory though, as I can't open the map right now (at work :( )

Extra food, lots of flood plains and commerce from aduars (that can be build on deserts, right ?) means huge cities with lots of commmerce. Their production is low, but it seems to hurt human players more than AI somehow. I think they should get less rivers/flood plains and more desert in Orbis version :)

I think the AI has some production bonus in higher difficulty levels, that may be why the lack of production on tiles isn't hurting them so badly.

Yeah - in my last runthrough, the Malakim founded the Runes, Leaves, Empyrean AND the Order. :lol: They just built cottages everywhere.

Yeah - in my last runthrough, the Malakim founded the Runes, Leaves, Empyrean AND the Order. :lol: They just built cottages everywhere.

What difficulty level were you playing on? Cottage / yurt (Aduar) on a flood plains gives a lot of commerce yes... and a decent amount of production too!

Top Bottom