Pacing issues - does tech accelerate for others?

Snuffleupagus

Warlord
I remember having this issue when Civ V first launched. That the game seems to accelerate in tech, but production doesn't keep up.

In my first playthrough, by the atomic(ish) era I'm getting techs faster than I can build a single unit. I remember this in Civ V too - before it was balanced a bit. This isn't just about pure speed, it's about relative speed, so I don't see why changing to 'epic' would help at all.

Are other people seeing this?

It happened to me since Civ 2. It takes more time to create a unit that the time to advance from that unit to his upgrade.

Yes, I understand what you mean. For me it's those damn eurekas... I do think it's a good idea, but it is just so easy to get eurekas that eras fly by before your eyes, and you are stuck there with a load to build. I do wish we could turn them off!

Yes. Science and culture is extremely fast. Production is pretty glacial, and production cost goes up at a steep incline.

for units, it is about game speed because they won't be obsolete by the time they reach their combat destination

Completely agree, but honestly its not the eurekas.

Early game its true they do accerlate things a bit, but by midgame I stop caring about them and it still flies by. Production is far lower than science and culture output at the moment.

The balancing issues are immense, and it's not Eurekas. Housing and production are way out of whack. If you want a military, you build it early, and then save up gold (switch to the -50% upgrade cost). Producing it late game is brutal. Districts take too long, as well, of course. So, you are quite a passenger.

I think I see the theory behind the high build costs. To force cities to specialize. They are clearly trying to get away from the old way of building everything in your cities - so they all look the same. It just doesn't seem to work. I'm not trying to build every district in every city - but building a single unit in my capital takes more time than researching rocketry . . . that just doesn't work well.

If you are looking for better balance, Germany is a great civ to boost production. In my last game on emperor I rushed 7 cities in the early game fairly close together with both Hansa+Commercial Hubs adjacent to each other. Just ignore science before you get a good infrastructure going and try to get as many eurekas as possible. I won science on turn 270 and could easily build like 12 wonders and pretty much every building in every city ^^. Felt quite similar to CIV5 actually.

The above strategy is really good with Germany but can effectively be replicated with any civ.

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll reiterate it here; in terms of late game production, your number one concern when considering industrial district placement should be maximizing how many cities it can reach with it's factories and power plants. That's where the late game production is going to come from. If you have an industrial district that's only affecting one or two cities then it's in a really bad spot.

Have as many industrial districts affecting as many cities as you can and the production seems to scale just fine. I don't think people are factoring in how important this is.

The above strategy is really good with Germany but can effectively be replicated with any civ.

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll reiterate it here; in terms of late game production, your number one concern when considering industrial district placement should be maximizing how many cities it can reach with it's factories and power plants. That's where the late game production is going to come from. If you have an industrial district that's only affecting one or two cities then it's in a really bad spot.

Have as many industrial districts affecting as many cities as you can and the production seems to scale just fine. I don't think people are factoring in how important this is.

Yep, very true. Same with entertainment districts. This also means that you should keep cities closer together than in CIV5.

It's not just the Eurekas but they don't help either.

The thematic pacing is off as well. I don't remember getting to Renaissance in like 100 BC in any other Civ. Am I just that much better at teching in Civ VI?

I have more problems with the flow of the techs rathar than with the tech paces.
It is just silly that you can have industrial age without ever discovering WHEELS!
The way I see it, the top of the tech tree is for sea faring, the middle is for peaceful industrial, and the lower tech is for warmongers. They are branching too far apart and sometimes doesn't make sense.
So you can have square riggings but not knowing how to make harbors? really?

I have more problems with the flow of the techs rathar than with the tech paces.
It is just silly that you can have industrial age without ever discovering WHEELS!
The way I see it, the top of the tech tree is for sea faring, the middle is for peaceful industrial, and the lower tech is for warmongers. They are branching too far apart and sometimes doesn't make sense.

Or infantry without gunpower or rifling:)

It allows you to slingshot past half an era, too. In all games I've played so far, I see early industrial age progression with a single tech touching the era and the rest waaaay back. It's really annoying because era sets the great people and warmongering penalty, shortcircuiting a lot of midgame stuff. :(

I agree. I ignored the eurekas on purpose and still managed to go at a fast pace. I think when they removed the civics from the tech tree, it made many paths very "linear".

Perhaps each era should end in its last level with one tech that consolidates everything and is required for the first level of techs in the next era. That way while within each era you can focus on a specific branch of techs early, but then you must catch up before you could move on to the next era.

Production goes up way too fast, for example, you produce a unit in 1 turn while a little higher tech unit i takes 4 turns... yeah, what is the point of getting +10 combat strength if you could build 4x more units?
The districts other than comercial hub and industrial are only used when you can't build those other two first and are a complete waste of hammers early game.

And tech/culture tree is too cheap, you can't even get the Eurekas and inspiration because you finish it in 2-4 turns anyway...

I would like to see a decrease in hammer cost of some buildings / districts / late wonders and the removal of 1 hammer from mines, lumber mils, factory and power plant.

I would like to see an increase in science/culture required in the their trees and a decrease in science per pop to 0.3 or 0.5.

Bonus:
make so you can only delete units for gold inside your borders and make it only 10% or 15% refund (the merchant project is only 15% production -> gold).

make the 100% cavalry production card only a 50% card...

Can only hope for some Mod with stuff like these.

What I did in Civ5 was make a mod that exponentially slowed research over time, making it slow down more and more, also making it more viable to fall behind a bit on tech, making for interesting games that didn't reach modern era (I prefer older era's).

Civ6 doesn't seem quite as bad to me as Civ5 was on this, but as I'm still on the end of my first game I don't know for sure yet.

Top Bottom