1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Page cannot be displayed" hijack

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by phoenix_night, Nov 13, 2003.

1. phoenix_night

phoenix_night Deity

My "Page cannot be displayed" page has been taken over by some search engine programme type thing and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Anybody know what it is and why it is?

Oh, it's "Almighty search" or something like that.

2. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

Some domain-names are bought, and the owner displays their own page saying it doesn't exist. Sometimes MSN gives you a few alternatives to the address and gives you the option to Search. The built in "Page cannot be displayed"-page is found in the shdoclc.dll (in the C:\windows\System32\ folder) and is stored in that file as a resource called "DNSERROR.HTM". I assume that this resource could be changed to something else by any program you might have installed or a virus?

The address you can use in IE to show this page is:
    res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm (at least on my computer)

If the "Almighty Search" shows up, it's likely some program changed a part of this file, if not, I assume there's a setting somewhere that has been changed.:)

3. IceBlaZe

IceBlaZe Atheist Proselytizer

Try "Spybot: Search and Destroy". Highly recommended.

4. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV