Palace Expansion

Sweetchuck

King
I could never figure out the purpose of it.

Is it part of one of the winning conditions? I don't think it is, but I'm not sure.

And what triggers it? I think generally some people have said certain acquisitions and accomplishments trigger palace expansions, but I've had games where every friggen city is shooting fireworks and no palace expansions until the second age - and all of the sudden they build the entire palace in one pop.

It just seems random but loosely aligned to happiness.

when you bust your first barb camp you get one

when you kick your first rival out of the game you get another

the rest are seemingly random

EDIT: its purpose... um....to spice the game up?

I think its just some extra feature to make the game a bit more interesting.... and I'm not sure that you necessarily get one when you kick a rival out of a game... because I've played plenty peaceful games where I built the full palace.

Yeah, it just happened to me again - about a half hour ago.

I sacked the Aztecs a thousand years earlier, and nothing. I had 5 luxes and plenty of happiness stuff, and nothing.

I had a short war with Spain which ended before I switched governments. The Aztecs declared on me and I warred with Spain after sacking the Aztecs.

So I have two civs left - Greece and Spain, both on a separate continent. Greece DOW'd me and I'm over them pummeling them when Spain DOW'd Greece and started moving into my path of destruction, so I DOW'd them (aggressively, marched my units into their territory and DOW).

Then I get the first palace thingy - when I got the 6th lux. Built the entire palace in one turn.

Seems really random.

For me, It seemingly occurs lot of good things and Victories occur on a turn.

Maybe It is an consequence of stats on the F11 Screem?

@Bucephalus-AFAIK, no

I find it thoroughly irritating - is it possible to turn it off?

If I remember correctly, if when the first time a palace expansion pops up, and instead of placing the piece of the palace and exiting out, you instead just exit out of the palace menu, it doesn't ask you to place the other pieces (you still get them, so if you wanted later in the game, you could go back and place like 10 pieces at once)

but I'm not 100% sure about that.... I thought it happened to me, but that was a long time ago

Has anyone ever been able to place TWO pieces in one opportunity? I find this happening to me from time to time.

I've never researched it or questioned it in civ3 but in civ 1 and civ 2 it was directly related to score. The more points you got the more of the palace (civ 1 and 3) or throne room (civ 2) you got to build. It seems more spread out/less regular to get palace improvements but I have just assumed it was score related.

Has anyone ever been able to place TWO pieces in one opportunity? I find this happening to me from time to time.

i've placed way more...couldn't tell you how many...but if you don't build for a while and then go back to it you can place all the previous pieces you didn't bother w/.
...a few times i've gotten multiple pieces & not remembered skipping over them prior...but i smoke a lot of pot

...so who knows :dunno:

the palace is wierd... on the regular game it works, but it does not work on scenarios.
if you play on multiplayer, it works for both regular and player made games

Once the palace semmed to disappear fully. I cant remember to one palace-expancion, and i replaced it to another city, but in the city screen it was like destructed, and i couldnt open any palace view in the window in the rignt down corner (with the gold and turns and stuff), only with the F-- whatever hotkey, and there was nooo upgrade.
Possible an ICBM was dept...

It would be nice if it had some meaning in the game, like a big palace adding to your culture, your score or something else.

Some things that often seem to trigger a palace expansion except for those already mentioned: Finishing many city improvements on one turn, being the first to enter a new age (or maybe just entering a new age), finishing a wonder.

It's decoration.

Top Bottom