Paradox Interactive games

Maniacal

the green Napoleon
I've seen several threads about their games, Hearts of iron, etc, and they seem interesting. I'd like to learn more about them and have a few questions...

1. How many things in game can you change the name of or use a custom name?
  2. Does it run well and not so good computers?
  3. Which one is the easiest/best/etc to learn for a newb?
  4. How complicated are they? (if possible, how is it complicated? I am hoping not a complicated economic system)

1. depends on if you want to mod it.
2. Yes
3. None, really. If I had to pick one I'd have to say EU2.
4. Very.

1. Very moddable, but for the most part the massive modding community at the paradox forums will cover your needs
2. Will run on the worst of computers, the graphics requirements are practically non-existant
3. I agree with warpstorm, EU2 is probably the easiest of the series. Crusader Kings is also not that complex either.
4. Incredibly so, I reccomend you start with EU2, then Crusader Kings, then Hearts of Iron 2, then, the bohemoth of complex games, Victoria.

Thing is, Victoria is my favorite of the series (I have all of them) BECAUSE of the overcomplexity, and its gameplay and attention to detail just surpasses the other games by leaps and bounds.

*mouth waters*

Excellent, even thoguh I have aout 20 games at my dad's all I play is Civ2. Now I can look into getting a new one. Oh, and keep the coming! And feel free to discuss the games in general here in this thread.

1. From what I know, they are easy to mod, from creating a custom leader, to changing the entire scenario.
2. Most definately.
3. Europa Universalis 2.
4. They're kinda complicated. Stick with it though, and you'll discover a very in-depth game that offers a different experience everytime you play.

Paradox Forums - recommended forum.

Technically EU2 isn't that complex. Its possible to go several years without doing anything although there are key points that are not obvious to begin with like:

-Sending merchants is pretty much pointless.
-Try and always maximise research.
-Raising war taxes or hiring mercenaries should be a last resort.
-Loans are evil
-Concentrate solely on infrastructure and military research even if you are a naval power
-Use the religion sliders
-Stability doesn't matter that much. If its a choice between losing innovation or stability, choose stability.
-Just because the AI has armies of 60k doesn't mean that you should
-Sieges win wars, not battles.
-Care about province attrition. If the province can only support 10k troops then don't place more troops in the province unless you have to.
-Let the AI overload a province with armies well over the support limit and watch them gradually die. Especially applicable when playing in northern Europe in the winter months.
-Playing in Russia has additional rules where you should try to start sieges when the snow disappears and have small reinforcement armies ready to maintain sieges if they last into winter.
-Navies are primarily for transport and then blockading and then speeding up sieges.
-Keep an eye on the bad boy rating.
-Try not to declare war without a casus belli especially if you are going to be annexing a one province minor nation.
-Get familiar with the different information screens
-Feel free to reduce military spending and naval spending to 50% when not at war to save money.
-Crushing victories can be gained if you have leaders, your army is in favourable terrain or you outnumber the enemy.
-There are historical events in the game that need to be taken into account. For instance if you want to maintain Aragon independence then don't accept the marriage with Isabelle.

PrinceScamp said:
If these games and expecialy Victoria have such a steep learning curve, how long was the beta testing?

Over a year, IIRC.

Heh, I wonder how many of the beta testers were sick of the game by the end of it.

Oh, I am creating an account on the Paradox Interactive forums for future use, anyone want me to refer them?

PrinceScamp, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If not, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

If you fear your account might have been disabled without knowing why, you should contact the Forum Administration. Do not re-register under a new name!

DO I have to wait or something? I got this when trying to view your profile and then again when trying to post. :confused:

PrinceScamp said:
DO I have to wait or something? I got this when trying to view your profile and then again when trying to post. :confused:

Have you fully signed up? As in got the activation link and everything? IIRC it was just the same as signing up to CFC, and both were long ago :p

Thank you, PrinceScamp. Your registration is now complete.

You may now proceed to edit your Profile in order to fill in additional personal details about yourself, or you could modify your Options to customize your browsing experience of this site. If you would rather do these things later, you can do so by following the links around the site to your User Control Panel.

Alternatively, you can simply go back to the Forums and start posting in threads.

I got that message after signing up. And this was the e-mail I got:

PrinceScamp,

Thanks for registering at Paradox Interactive Forums! We are glad you have
chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks again,
Paradox Interactive Forums team

PrinceScamp, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If not, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

If you fear your account might have been disabled without knowing why, you should contact the Forum Administration. Do not re-register under a new name!

I sure have a nice profile...

Dell19 said:
-Care about province attrition. If the province can only support 10k troops then don't place more troops in the province unless you have to.

Where can you find the number of troops a province can support?

Dell19 said:
-Keep an eye on the bad boy rating.

Where can you see the bad boy rating?

Troop support you can see if you click on a province it should have a yellow or red number if it is an enemy province and that number is how much the land can support.

Bad boy I think that is go into diplomacy mode click on yourself and see your reputation "You have a very bad reputation" or stuff like that. If you hold your mouse over that it will give you an A/B and A is your bad boy B is a number you don't want but halfway there is the start of your problems I think... well dell knows better.

Thanks for the help. I just got the game, and I'm still learning the ropes.

Top Bottom