Paradox Interactive games

I didn't follow EvW but I can imagine the expected PI fandom reaction. That is to say, it is entirely to be expected.

And on CKII DLC I'm extremely happy with it - it's not perfect, but there's frankly nothing better I can think of - especially since it goes hand in hand with the free patch stuff.

Hmm I made the mistake of reading some of the thread. It's sad but the devs ran over do many deadlines that I'm surprised it was supported this long.

CK2's DLC system is I think the best system in the industry today of providing new game content (excepting alpha pre-access, etc. which doesn't really count anyway)

I have my own skepticism over this system.

Paradox focuses on DLC's for CK2 that essentially add content and are cash-grabs, instead of expansions that actually improve the games already existing features. People want to play as Norse or play in India. People don't care for (and won't as frequently buy) expansions that would reform the Byzantine Bureaucracy system, add the Kievan Rus' rota system, accurately model the Polish Fragmentation period, etc.

I have to say im quite skeptical about it as well, cause you do bring out a game with a lot of content locked out. And the dlc isnt just "playable factions", you need for example LoR if you want retinues, an important part of the game

HOI4 DD2

Welcome to the second development diary for Hearts of Iron IV! Today, I am going dive right into the meaty stuff and present one of the larger changes we've made to the game - equipment. It's a broad topic with many implications for how the rest of the game is played, so my goal is to present the general idea without digging into all the details just yet. But don't worry, there will be more details than you can shake a field-marshal's baton at in future diaries!

Production
We wanted a more interesting industry model that offered a compelling reason not to always use the latest technology, as well as adding more unit flavor in HoI4. To accomplish this we developed a model where you no longer build full divisions and aircraft wings one at a time; instead, you create production lines to pump out individual vehicles. The longer you run a single production line the more efficient it gets at producing that piece of equipment, and the choice of when to switch over to, say, a newer tank model becomes tricky. Is the war effort best served by a shiny new Tiger that can outclass the competition, or would you rather have 20 Panzer IVs? You will have to make choices like this. Upgrading your equipment now means replacing your old models at the front with new tank designs, for example. The old ones can be put in reserve, sent to less important places, or perhaps given as aid to an ally.

This means that a division is basically an assortment of different equipment combined with men who operate them. Most of the stats of a division will come from equipment, so a panzer division without tanks will not be particularly fit for duty. As for exactly what equipment is used by each division, it will depend on how you have structured your divisions. At the smallest level, we are looking at battalion types that make up your divisions determining how much you need of everything, but a division is still the smallest unit that can be moved around the map. For example, adding an extra battalion of artillery to a division means that it will now also require a few more men and a specific number of artillery cannons that you will need to produce before that battalion will be effective. We’ll talk more about this in a later diary.

Technology
Equipment appears all through the new technology trees. The idea is that unlocking a new piece of equipment should be very visible, and it should be very clear what you will get. Here is a screenshot showing what the armored tech tree looks like for Germany:

Armored technology is based around chassis that you unlock. Each of the chassis has 4 subtechs, each of which unlocks a variant. So, for example, once you have unlocked the Panzer III tank you can research the tank destroyer variant, StuG III. The StuG III was a Panzer III chassis with the turret removed and a larger fixed gun placed in its stead. Variants like this can be switched to production lines from the original chassis without much of penalty, so once the Panzer IV becomes your main tank and the Panzer III no longer measures up, it's a perfect time to convert to producing StuGs on those Panzer III lines. Most nations developed their vehicles like this during the war, and we wanted to include this flavor. Historically, the StuG III ended up being the most produced armored vehicle in Germany during the war.

There will also be ways to create more custom equipment variants with abilities unlocked by experience over the course of the war. This is also something we will go into more detail on in the future.

By switching to equipment from HoI3's more abstracted model, we gain a lot of cool flavor as well as introducing many of the actual interesting choices that leaders of the time had to deal with. We also believe it will make it easier to understand for new players, as well as being more immersive for players. You will now see results like "10 heavy tanks destroyed" rather than some abstracted strength percentage. Because the production models changes over to lines it also doesn't introduce any more unnecessary micro management, so it is really a win-win.

That's all from me for today, see you again in a month for another diary!

+ Bonus read: Hearts of Iron IV: How we changed the world
Time to flex your strategic muscles and test your might as your ability to lead your nation will be the ultimate weapon in your arsenal in Hearts of Iron IV.
On the battlefields, in the factories, and at the negotiating table. Victory at all costs.
Here are a few of the women from the World War II era and how they changed the world:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?760924-Hearts-of-Iron-IV-How-we-changed-the-world

Spoiler :

They've added "equipment" and it seems they're significantly overhauling the technology system as well.

I'm getting excited for a sequel to a game I put less than three hours into.

I've played 100s of hours of Kaiserreich for DH, and I think I've played like one game of normal DH, and I've never played another HOI game :p

Why do they consider Panzer I and Panzer II medium tanks, shouldn't they be light tanks?

btt:
I really like Paradox games, but never got into the hearts of iron series...
It would have been nice to see another cold war strategy game,but IMHO EvW probably would have been disappointing in one way or another....

The dev diaries for HOI IV are promising so far. The production changes and focus on better interfaces and less "automate this" in particular sound like major improvements. As does making it feel more like you're leading a campaign. I hope the interface improvements also include more high-level information. One of the major complaints I have in HOI 3 is that, while military espionage will give you some information about where certain units are, there's no way to make effective use of that information. You know the Americans have an infantry unit in Memphis, so what? There's no general sense of "we think the Americans have around twice as many naval units as we do", or "There seem to be a lot of German troops in southern Austria" that might indicate an invasion of Yugoslavia. I'd also like to see something like an ability to show trends over time better - e.g. we had 600,000 troops in the field in August, deployed 55,000 in September, but lost 80,000. Being able to line things like that up more easily would be quite important - you could spot trouble areas both in terms of troops and production. I learned how lacking this was the hard way in HOI 3 when I played as the Soviets and the Germans had way more troops than I did in large part due to a complete lack of effective intelligence/reports prior to the war.

That said, I decided to try HOI3 as Germany, and it's actually rather fun now. I think having some prior experience with it, and being a country that tends to act rather than react both contribute. I suspect Italy, Britain, and Japan would also be playable in this fashion (and maybe the U.S., though distance and a long period of peace may detract from that). Starting in 1936, I decided to try something different, and went to war with non-Allied Poland in 1937, taking just the Danzig corridor in a short war. Later that fall, I occupied the Baltic states to protect them from the Soviet Union, as well as Denmark because they were a logical extension of the Reich. Everything was going smoothly, so I spent the winter peacefully, debating whether forming a Nordic empire would be a good idea.

In May of 1938, I decided it was time for Anschluss, and united with Austria. That's when the real fun began. The UK decided that was a step too far, and declared war! The Allies still entailed just the UK, France, Nepal, Yemen, Oman, and Bhutan, but the war was unexpected. Less than a fortnight later, the Soviet Union declared war. All of a sudden it was WWII, a year and a third early, and with Poland being neutral. I immediately invited Italy to join, which they did, to keep France under check. The Soviets had the element of surprise, and by mid-autumn, have taken Estonia. But with all reinforcements going to the Eastern Front, that line has stabilized. The French front is stable in a phony war at the Maginot line, and Italy has take a small amount of southeastern France as well as Tunis. Unlike in my Soviet game, I feel like I'm actually in control, but with a very uncertain, but not hopeless, outcome. My current plan is to hold the line over the winter, building up, and attacking in the spring, hoping to take Tallinn, Leningrad, and then either go towards Murmansk or Moscow. But whether it's actually a good idea to focus on the Soviets instead of trying to knock out France is anyone's guess.

Meanwhile, Japan is doing fairly well in China, and I've intentionally left them out of the Axis. But that's also subject to change. On the one hand, I want them out - I don't want them dragging the U.S. in, particularly when the German Bund is gaining in popularity. On the other hand, since the UK and the USSR started the wars, them joining would likely mean they'd fight both the British and, more importantly, the Soviets. So they may be invited once they finish the war in China. And back in Europe, an ideological war is being waged in Belgium and the Netherlands. They'd both be significant allies to either side. But while historically Germany attacked France through the Low Countries, at this point I'd rather keep a stalemate with France and let Belgium be than invade Belgium and start incurring losses on that front.

Oh, and the Republicans won the civil war in Spain, which has been rare in what I've seen. Makes me kind of glad I didn't support the Nationalists - at least now the Republicans still tolerate me.

In other words, I'm finally seeing the good aspects of this game, and it sounds like with HOI IV it might not take nearly as long for that to happen.

Definitely press on Russia, if you don't put a stop to them within a few years they'll be producing too much.

Definitely press on Russia, if you don't put a stop to them within a few years they'll be producing too much.

It was already too late. They had about a million troops in the five-province border, so advancing was impossible. Thus I sent reinforcements west, took over the Maginot Line, and conquered France. But even with the western front troops in the east, no progress could be made.

So I invaded Poland (who was still neutral), hoping that with a wider front, punching through Soviet lines would be possible. Alas, while for a few months things were even, I soon ran out of manpower, and soon after that, ran out of fuel. A last ditch effort to take the Ploesti oil fields came up somewhat short, and it was essentially game over.

It also reminded me of the unfun part. By adopting defensive positions, I could convince the Soviets not to attack. Eventually, Japan stopped advancing, apparently due to overstretched supply lines. And the game de facto came to a stalemate, instead of what should have been a Comintern defeat of Germany, and after that, Japan.

So I'm going to try again, not start the war so early, and do more research and less espionage/influencing.

Somebody said it better than I could.

I think we would like to hear something more specific and concrete in these dev diaries. This reads more like a press release with almost no real information in it, just promises of future information.

Gamersgate is having a Paradox sale where many of the games are on sale for 75% off (although not some of the more recent expansions like Rajas of India). Pick it up while you can! I got a few myself, most notably A House Divided, which has been on my list for a long time.

Has anyone played Sengoku? That's one of the ones on sale, and I really wasn't familiar with it at all. It sounds like it's similar to Crusader Kings II, but in feudal Japan.

From what I've heard, Sengoku was basically Paradox testing ideas for CK2. It's worse.

I don't know about worse, but this statement is otherwise accurate. Much like MotE, its more of an engine and concept test, and so it lacks any real support. There also aren't many mods so its rather "plain". The map looks great though, and its not bad so much as its somewhat lacking.

Top Bottom