Pastor gets prison for sermon (Sentenced to month in jail for offending homosexuals)

Do you agree with the Pastor?

• I don't agree with the Pastor, but he should have a right to say what he wants

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • I agree with the sentence. Haters needs to be locked away

Votes: 21 42.0%

• Total voters
cgannon64 said:
If you can show me that people went out and acted on this rather than just getting back into their cars, never discussing the sermon again, and going home to breakfast like families who go to Church always do, you'll have a point.
I can't really prove that, and I don't think I need to. But if I was a devout Christian and a homophobe, I would surely take the words of this Pastor to justify violence against homosexuals. He describes homosexuality as a disease. Diseases need to be irradicated. Ergo, homosexuals need to be irradicated.

I don't know about this particular guy, but his sort typically believes that homosexuality is "curable", or even a life-style choice. He's apperently called for homosexuals to "reject Satan".

Would you take claims that heavy metal is satanic as justifying violence against heavy metallers?

PC Gestapo attacks again.
So what if he hates homossexuals? As long as he doesn't attack them, or encourage others to attack them, he is 100% within his rights.

The Last Conformist said:
I don't know about this particular guy, but his sort typically believes that homosexuality is "curable", or even a life-style choice. He's apperently called for homosexuals to "reject Satan".

Would you take claims that heavy metal is satanic as justifying violence against heavy metallers?
Short answer: No. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Mise said:
Short answer: No. I'm not sure what you're getting at.
It seems somewhat inconsistent to hold that saying that homosexuality is a cancer is incitement, but that saying that heavy metal is satanic is not.

It seems somewhat inconsistent to hold that saying that homosexuality is a cancer is incitement, but that saying that heavy metal is satanic is not.
I'm not a heavy metaller. And I wouldn't like to speak for all heavy metallers. But it is my understanding that heavy metallers are self professed satanists (if that is a word). Homosexuals are not cancerous tumours. Certainly, if a Pastor called heavy metallers a cancer, given that they are already in league with Satan, I would consider this a call to arms against the new disease of heavy metallers, if I believed in Satan and have a particular hatred of heavy metal.

I'm not gonna bother voteing, as I both agree with what the pastor said, and believe he should have the freedom to sya it.

Mise said:
I'm not a heavy metaller. And I wouldn't like to speak for all heavy metallers. But it is my understanding that heavy metallers are self professed satanists (if that is a word).
None of the heavy metallers I know are satanists (and yes, it's a word).
Homosexuals are not cancerous tumours. Certainly, if a Pastor called heavy metallers a cancer, given that they are already in league with Satan, I would consider this a call to arms against the new disease of heavy metallers, if I believed in Satan and have a particular hatred of heavy metal.
Well, that's at least consistent. You do seem to be very ready to interpret things as calls to arms ...

Despite what Mr Andersson might wish for, the law in question does not ban offending people; it bans incitement to action towards a group, and threats against a group. It seems clear that he did not incite, and it's hard to see who he threatened - I do not imagine there were any homosexuals in his audience. So, from the legal POV, it's hard to see why he was found guilty.

You are wrong there, in order to be found guilty of incitement (hets mot folkgrupp) in Sweden there does not have to be any actual incitement. Derogatory hate speech is enough. The law seems to be applied rather arbitrarily though.

(Source, in Swedish)

Myself I think the law has been watered out too much now that it includes religions, nationalities and sexual minorities. A religion or homosexuality may very well be a choice of lifestyle rather than something one is born with. Not only Christian literature will have to be censored in Sweden, but books on psychology as well...

Adebisi said:
You are wrong there, in order to be found guilty of incitement (hets mot folkgrupp) in Sweden there does not have to be any actual incitement. Derogatory hate speech is enough. The law seems to be applied rather arbitrarily though.

(Source, in Swedish)
Hm, seems you're correct. Which means my sociology teacher was wrong.
Myself I think the law has been watered out too much now that it includes religions, nationalities and sexual minorities. A religion or homosexuality may very well be a choice of lifestyle rather than something one is born with. Not only Christian literature will have to be censored in Sweden, but books on psychology as well...
I don't think anyone is seriously arguing that religion is something you're born with.

No, I was merely using it as an argument. It is very much a choice, for which one can be critisized.

This should not have been limited by laws.

By allowin open discussions of the topic many more will see the illogical nature of the descriminatory side.

WillJ said:
I of course disagree with him, but he should be allowed to speak his mind and say this.

Now if he starts encouraging killing gays (or anything else against their rights), that should be stopped; after all, if any of his followers kill a gay guy he'd be an accessory before the fact.

I agree with this statement.

Am I the only one who thinks the poll is a bit biased?

Do you agree with the Pastor?
I don't agree with the Pastor, but he should have a right to say what he wants
I agree with the sentence. Haters needs to be locked away

:lol: Neither of those options lets you agree with the pastor. In my case, I agree with the pastor. Now is not the time to sugercoat our language. We should call sin as we sit it. Love the sinner, loathe the sin.

luiz said:
PC Gestapo attacks again.
So what if he hates homossexuals? As long as he doesn't attack them, or encourage others to attack them, he is 100% within his rights.

Well, this guy did encourage others to attack homosexuals!

If someone that I would trust a lot, tells me a certain phenomenon is 'abnormal and a cancerous tumor', I would see a way to fight this phenomenon.

Let's get this in another view. If something is qualified as a cancerous tumor, the idea is that you get rid of it by any means.

When it comes to the freedom of religion, the only thing a priest should say on the matter is: "God doesn't like homosexuals/homosexuality. God will deal with the gays up there'."

I think women is next. Some feminists have already raised their voice about why hate speech against women is not a punishable act.

Yeah, but putting Jan Guillou in prison would almost be worth it ;)

Top Bottom