Pastor gets prison for sermon (Sentenced to month in jail for offending homosexuals)

Do you agree with the Pastor?

• I don't agree with the Pastor, but he should have a right to say what he wants

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • I agree with the sentence. Haters needs to be locked away

Votes: 21 42.0%

• Total voters
Syterion said:
Stupid Sentence. He can't be jailed for what he said. If anyone wants to listen to him after that, it's their problem. As someone said, the media making him out as a bigot is the just punishment.

All depends on the country, does it not my good man. I'm not sure about the law in Sweden, however if they have put him inside for this I'm sure it is must leagal to do so. ;)

Regards,

Jugulator

It is exceedingly relevant, and can very well be argued as true. There is a difference between thought and deed; between inclination and practice, with the actual practice being the sin according to the Christian tradition. No one is forced to act out desires; that takes a conscious act of will.

Simon Darkshade said:
It is exceedingly relevant, and can very well be argued as true. There is a difference between thought and deed; between inclination and practice, with the actual practice being the sin according to the Christian tradition. No one is forced to act out desires; that takes a conscious act of will.
He said homosexuality was a choice, not homosexual acts. The latter is true; the former is completely false.

I say it's not relevant because while there's obviously no doubt that someone can speak out against choices, I also have little doubt that someone can speak out against things that we are born with (race, sexual preferences, etc.). The latter is much more bigoted and irrational, and I can see someone wanting to make it illegal, but in the end I'll disagree.

Christianity is abnormal, a horrible cancerous tumor in the body of society.

Oh Irony!
Apart from the whole discussion about it: The man should read the bible first. Such speeches are very unchristian.

Dumb pothead said:
Joey, if he had said in the sermon that blacks were "abnormal, a horrible cancerous tumor in the body of society", in a church here in the U.S., he probably would have been charged with hate speech.

Maybe not in California, as per another thread!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=92978

Regards,

Jugulator

What's this? Darkshade? Here? :crazyeye:

Anyway, I like free speech, but he shouldn't be jailed, he should be punished by the church for abusing his position for a hate speech.

cgannon64 said:
What's this? Darkshade? Here? :crazyeye:

Anyway, I like free speech, but he shouldn't be jailed, he should be punished by the church for abusing his position for a hate speech.

Well, then he can start a new church that allows these kind of speeches......

The freedom of speech, imho, is limited by the spread of hate or incitement of violence.

This moron is clearly spreading hate, thus it is not a big problem to lock him away.

Some champion of human rights Sweden is, eh? :rolleyes:

I don't agree what the man says, but he's got the right to say it. Throwing him in prison for what he thinks is no better than what North Korea does.

How many people died in Europe in WW2 because of one mans hate speech?

Dumb pothead said:
How many people died in Europe in WW2 because of one mans hate speech?

Zero. They died because of some Germans viewing themselves as superior.

Free Speech protects even Hate Speech, now if the man were telling his congregation to go out and kill all homosexuals then I would support legal punishment. But simply stating disgust for them should be protected under free speech.

rmsharpe said:
Zero. They died because of some Germans viewing themselves as superior.
Where did they get the idea they were superior? From that one mans hate speech. By calling gays an abnormal cancerous tumor on society, he's laying the groundwork for violence. After all, what do we do to cancerous tumors? We cut them or burn them out.

@DP: The Holocaust was overseen by Hitler. Hitler encouraged KILLING people. It's not like Hitler just said, "Hey guys, guess what, we're superior! Yay!" and then someone else had the idea of killing people because of it.

WillJ said:
@DP: The Holocaust was overseen by Hitler. Hitler encouraged KILLING people. It's not like Hitler just said, "Hey guys, guess what, we're superior! Yay!" and then someone else had the idea of killing people because of it.
Will, what Im trying to say is that once youve made the giant leap to where you see a segment of the population as a cancerous tumor, from there its a small step to commiting or encouraging violence against them.

Dumb pothead said:
Will, what Im trying to say is that once youve made the giant leap to where you see a segment of the population as a cancerous tumor, from there its a small step to commiting or encouraging violence against them.
And thus it shouldn't be allowed? That's like saying I shouldn't be legally allowed to hate Bush, because it's one step from assissinating him.

Perhaps you think precautionary measures should be taken, but I don't think it's too dangerous to allow hate speech until it gets out of hand and leads to people's rights being violated.

Well, if you read what I posted earlier, while my first instinct is to throw him in jail, after thinking about it for a minute, I think the best approach would be to penalize the church if they continue to employ him.

I don't agree with what he said but I don't think he deserves jail.

Dumb pothead said:
Well, if you read what I posted earlier, while my first instinct is to throw him in jail, after thinking about it for a minute, I think the best approach would be to penalize the church if they continue to employ him.
Sorry, I forgot you said that. And you're right, that doesn't sound like a bad solution; if the government gives churches benefits, it should be able to decide who gets the benefits, following the wishes of the public.

Neither option suits me.
Hate speech is definitely something that's not to be accepted.
But PRISON for it, while it was only a sermon, feels a bit too much.

I would vote for a fine and no more.

Top Bottom