Patch G / multiplayer / OOS

He wasn't saying it isn't acceptable to HIM, he was saying that if he modifies his files then he cannot play Multi-player, because he will no longer have the same files as everyone else and they will get an error message when he connects. (But yeah, I read it the same way at first)

Got an OOS with the truffle event, which is strange because it didn't cause problems in a previous game. However, I got the event as the game creator last time when it was fine, and the OOS was caused when someone else got it.

Reloaded the save and went OOS a few turns later when an AI player got an event. Tried again, same problem. Game was hosed.

Just had another game go OOS in the first 3 turns. Same people I've played with successfully before so I know we all have the patch installed and such.

Out of 6 games we started we got an OOS 5 times within 30 turns. 3 times it was on an event (twice I got the event for a to have a Ljosalfar council) and once it was for an event that one of my competitors(Shadowdrgn) saw with an npc that he'd already contacted. The other two times we assumed it was an event that happened in a civ none of us had yet contacted.

We play on normal speed.

The game ran error free for awhile. I didn't think to check the turn count, but probably between 200-300 turns. Once we got one OOS error, it repeated several times after reloading. We rebooted, cleared cache, everyting short of actually reinstalling the game.

We gave up on that game and started a new one. No OOS problems at first, but eventually they came. We were about done with our shift, so we decided to call it a night.

I will try to record what turn the OOS errors occur on when we play again and see if there is a pattern. I will also try to get a save game file off my laptop when I get a chance.

We loaded this game up last night and played for about 4-5 hours. We had no OOS errors. We were still using the same network hardware and the same two laptops. I guess I'll have to chalk it up as a fluke for now.

I'm guessing that the OOS errors might be very difficult to pin down on a cause if they cannot be duplicated with a save game file.

Leave the "New Random Seed" unchecked (probably do anyway since it is MP), and try to remember precisely what you did and in what order (shouldn't be too hard early game, a bit of a pain late game). If doing the same things doesn't cause it to re-occur then that is somewhat vexing for actually solving it, but does mean it isn't random events (or ought not to be).

We don't use the "new random seed" option.

The OOS errors that we were getting did not seem to be caused by events.

I blame it on Vista! I blame all my computer problems (on my laptop since my desktop still runns XP) on Vista!

Top Bottom