Patrol duty Pathfinding bug

I Noticed that the Patrol Borders AI doesn't avoid Negative terrain like the Tar Pit, I had My Clubman commit Suicide by Neanderthaler while sitting on a -25% Defence Tile,

A: It should avoid such tiles like the plague,
B: He also probably should've known moving next to a unit twice his strength would bring him a bad day

though it's more the A that worries me, I Can't order my men to patrol my borders if I need to babysit them to not do something stupid, Unsure if it's just the Tar Pit or it also includes things like Damaging Terrain, I don't have that just yet inside my borders, but the reason for my report is more about the fact the AI takes the less defensible terrain

I Noticed that the Patrol Borders AI doesn't avoid Negative terrain like the Tar Pit, I had My Clubman commit Suicide by Neanderthaler while sitting on a -25% Defence Tile,

A: It should avoid such tiles like the plague,
B: He also probably should've known moving next to a unit twice his strength would bring him a bad day

though it's more the A that worries me, I Can't order my men to patrol my borders if I need to babysit them to not do something stupid, Unsure if it's just the Tar Pit or it also includes things like Damaging Terrain, I don't have that just yet inside my borders, but the reason for my report is more about the fact the AI takes the less defensible terrain
There's numerous factors to look into regarding poor AI decision making like this. The only way to have a hope of spotting how a bad decision is made is to get a savegame that shows the determination being made - and it's not easy to narrow in on which unit is the one to watch as it makes its decisions. (Though it is possible with some effort and time.) So you're right that it needs evaluating and resolving but just so folks know, this kind of thing is currently a very large and messy maze to sort throught to find where stupidity is taking place in the code.

I do plan some major reworking of some things in the AI and will obviously be looking for stuff like that. In the meantime, I'm going to lean back on what I always say about automation, why would you play a game only to have the computer play it for you? AKA, why automate at all and then complain about how the AI is dumber than you are?

But it IS good to have these reports because it displays, for future reference when restructurin the AI, how the AI is still not anywhere even close to up to par with a human player yet, and how and why.

I wouldn't have given the AI a Unit I cared about, he was loitering about, it also wasn't really a complaint more a report, though I'm not too happy with the outcome,
Game gives, Game takes, and it wasn't in a time I really needed any patrols anyway it was just oh gather some XP from animals on the borders and stop bothering me

Hope you'll succeed in your endeavour to get the AI atleast at Par,
I agree with your statement on Automation, though I'm also of mind that Automation is there for the tedious repetition that's mostly a time filler (Like the empty posture of a lone clubman trundling around the border waiting on an animal to just happen to be infront of it) actual Patrols I'd never automate because they're my first possibility of noticing something

Actually the reason I posted this in the first place was because of the Dual screw up which surprised me, it had 2 things that should've red flagged that tile, and neither actually gave the red flag

Last edited:
Top Bottom