Paul's Standard Earth

Paul's Standard Earth Alpha v1.2.2

Thanks! I'll keep your suggestions in mind as I prepare the next version. I may go ahead and put out 1.2 sometime today because being able to play the map online is a pretty big deal. But I'll mess around with the Natural Wonders and see if I can get the Goody Huts to randomly generate like they're supposed to. Most importantly I gotta get the map to where we can play with 9 or more Civs at a time (That might be 1.3 or later though). But for 1.2 I'll at least have a multiplayer version available today.

Take care and merry Christmas eve :)

---------------------

BTW about City-States, I wanted to elaborate; I'll end up moving some city-states around (the ones that aren't TSL, that is) to offer more balance to the game, and in the end I'm hoping to have a script put together so that city states spawn in their actual location if no Civ starts nearby. Admittedly that'll take me a while I think, maybe a month or so. There's still a lot for me to learn, but I'm figuring it out. And if you want to wait it out until I can do that stuff, then I can't blame you. I really do have my work cut out for me, lots of wrinkles to iron out for sure. Just be sure check this Map out again. Especially after maybe a month it should be in pretty good shape. And thanks again for your input :) It goes a long way in helping to make this map better.

I´m really looking forward to this ;-) Have a nice christmas time :)

P-Dubya updated Paul's Standard Earth with a new update entry:

Paul's Standard Earth Alpha v1.2

12/24/2016 Christmas Eve Update. Happy Holidays :)
  • Now playable in multiplayer!
  • City-States no longer drop out.
  • Moved Brazil's starting location one tile west.
  • Adjusted some city-state locations (note that most city-states still aren't in their True Start Locations due to the limited space in Europe, which is primarily reserved for actual Civilization True Start Locations).
  • TSL added for Poland

Read the rest of this update entry...

If anyone has any issues with this map, let me know ASAP. Thank you all, enjoy the map, and Happy Holidays :)

Last edited:

More Civilizations in Single Player

This minor update allows you to add more Civilizations to your game in single player.

Duel: 2 players
Tiny: 4 players
Small: 6 players
Standard: 8 players (This map's actual size)
Large: 10 players
Huge: 12 players

In multiplayer, the map tops out at 8 Civilizations (as is the maximum number of players allowed in a multiplayer game of Civ 6). The map should always contain 18 City-States, no matter the map size. I admit this is a strange methodology, but at least you can play with 12...

Just wanted to say that I've been having a fantastic game on your map playing as Rome. But now I want to start over just to play with 12 civs! :D

With this update, this has now become the only Earth map I will use. Great job!

Thanks again, Economy. I appreciate all the support :)

I also want to apologize for all the Updates since my map's first release. I had things going pretty good until Firaxis released their last update, so I had to try and fix what I could when I could. But I appreciate everyone's patience as I got things straightened out. Still not a perfect Earth Map, but I finally got it at an okay place once again. Unless I need to fix some unexpected bug in this version, it should be a little while before the next major update. I'm hoping to have a lot more substance in the next version of this map :) So it might be a couple of weeks or so. And I'll try to keep major updates to 1 or 2 a month, depending on my progress.

Hey,

great and balanced map but I'm having a massive problem with the latest patch concerning civ spawning. Russia, America, Rome and a great number of other civs dont appear to spawn at all, leaving me to play with around 7 other civs even when choosing huge map and adding nearly all the civs to the game.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice you've restricted it to 8 on purpose. I can live with this. :)

To have more Great Prophets, there should be more founder beliefs as well.

Definitely going to work on this before the next major update. And I haven't forgotten about your goody hut suggestion from a few days ago! I just have to be sure to balance out goody huts so no one Civ becomes overpowered. Thanks for all your input :)

Hey,

great and balanced map but I'm having a massive problem with the latest patch concerning civ spawning. Russia, America, Rome and a great number of other civs dont appear to spawn at all, leaving me to play with around 7 other civs even when choosing huge map and adding nearly all the civs to the game.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice you've restricted it to 8 on purpose. I can live with this. :)

Multiplayer is restricted to 8 by the game's design. Single player for my map maxes out at 12 (which I'm going to increase on the next major update). Were you trying to play more than 8 in multiplayer? Because if you're maxing out at 8 in Single Player then I need to figure out what's going wrong. Thanks for checking out my map btw! :)

It might be just me, or the winter update overall, but whenever I use an archaeologist to excavate, the game crashes.

Anyone?

To chime in, there are 12 civs in my game with the latest map update, so that works. I haven't reached the point yet where I can build archaelogists, I'll let you know if I have the same crash in my current game when I'm there.

Paul's Standard Earth Alpha v1.2.2

I immediately looked into the Antiquity Site excavations crashing, and yep it did. I removed all manually placed Antiquity Sites, then tested the organic (game-created) Antiquity Sites and it did not crash. Hopefully this should completely resolve this issue. Thanks for reporting this issue and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Minor Update

- Game no longer crashes when excavating an Antiquity Site.

Multiplayer is restricted to 8 by the game's design. Single player for my map maxes out at 12 (which I'm going to increase on the next major update). Were you trying to play more than 8 in multiplayer? Because if you're maxing out at 8 in Single Player then I need to figure out what's going wrong. Thanks for checking out my map btw! :)

This proved out to be an installation mistake on my behalf. Sorry! Only been playing on your map the last few days, great to get the full 12 civs now.

Thanks again for the great work, gonna post suggestions if I come to think of anything while using the map.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'll be sure to put it in my to-do list for Alpha v1.3. As I scale back on luxuries and strategics a bit, I'll be sure to add more cattle and goats. Very important if you go for the Belief that gives culture per pasture built. You have my apologies, and thank you for the input :)

Getting a bug playing as America going for culture victory when I use my archeologist to dig up a relic. I think it was my 4th relic. Game crashes and wants to send error report to Firaxis. I tried to pick up a relic at a different spot of the map with a different archeologist and game crashes with same bug again.

Other than that, I enjoyed my game as America, but I won't be able to finish it. I could try for a space victory maybe, but turn times are getting a bit long for me, and my victory is assured anyways. But I enjoyed it while it lasted.

edit: Ooops, just noticed post #31. Just checked my version and I have 1.2.1. I could have swore I downloaded the most recent version. Although if you just put it out on Tuesday that could explain why.

Getting a bug playing as America going for culture victory when I use my archeologist to dig up a relic. I think it was my 4th relic. Game crashes and wants to send error report to Firaxis. I tried to pick up a relic at a different spot of the map with a different archeologist and game crashes with same bug again.

Other than that, I enjoyed my game as America, but I won't be able to finish it. I could try for a space victory maybe, but turn times are getting a bit long for me, and my victory is assured anyways. But I enjoyed it while it lasted.

edit: Ooops, just noticed post #31. Just checked my version and I have 1.2.1. I could have swore I downloaded the most recent version. Although if you just put it out on Tuesday that could explain why.

Yeah I posted the update Alpha v1.2.2 Yesterday morning at about 7AM to specifically fix the problem with excavations crashing the game. 1.2.2 came quick after 1.2.1 due to a couple of people telling me about the crashing. As soon as I learned of it I started working on it and now there shouldn't be anymore crashing. But, if you still have crashes with excavations, or any problems with 1.2.2 let me know ASAP.

And my apologies, Disgustipated, that this bug ruined the game you were playing. I've been there before, so I know how much it sucks to have a good, fun game ruined by a crash. But you should be able to play all the way through with no problem now. And concerning slow down in the late game, I plan in 1.3 to cut back on resources a bit in hopes the game will run faster. I'll also look into other way to make the game run faster (like offering the option to have the game's resource generator place resources).

Enjoy the map and let me know anything you have problems with. As of 1.2.2 there should be no further issues, but its in Alpha so I can't swear on it.

Yeah I posted the update Alpha v1.2.2 Yesterday morning at about 7AM to specifically fix the problem with excavations crashing the game. 1.2.2 came quick after 1.2.1 due to a couple of people telling me about the crashing. As soon as I learned of it I started working on it and now there shouldn't be anymore crashing. But, if you still have crashes with excavations, or any problems with 1.2.2 let me know ASAP.

And my apologies, Disgustipated, that this bug ruined the game you were playing. I've been there before, so I know how much it sucks to have a good, fun game ruined by a crash. But you should be able to play all the way through with no problem now. And concerning slow down in the late game, I plan in 1.3 to cut back on resources a bit in hopes the game will run faster. I'll also look into other way to make the game run faster (like offering the option to have the game's resource generator place resources).

Enjoy the map and let me know anything you have problems with. As of 1.2.2 there should be no further issues, but its in Alpha so I can't swear on it.

So would it be possible to reintall the mod (overwrite) and then just load up the saved file for the previous version (one with relics crash bug) and resume? Or not compatible...?

I think the saved game will still have the Antiquity Sites but I'm not positive. I'll test this out today to see. You have my apologies ahead of time if it turns out the previous saves are incompatible or if the previous saves still keep the crashing Antiquity Sites. For what its worth, I don't think the AI will mess with the Antiquity sites because I autoplayed the past map with the Sites several times without any crashes. It's as if the AI knows not to mess with them (but could be a HUGE coincidence).

The good news is that no one else has reported any more problems with Alpha v1.2.2. I still have a ton of improvements to make to the Map Mod, but for the moment it should be stable enough to play a whole game without any problems. With 1.2.1, though, I can't make any guarantees.

Thanks for playing my map :) And feel free to get 1.2.2 to play because it'll be several days, maybe even two weeks before another updated Version of this map is released. Here's a list of what I have planned for the next major Update:

Things to do for Alpha v1.3

- Add more Prophets for more religions, and try to get more founder beliefs (I think this goes with more religions but not sure).

- Increase the number of civilizations past 12 for Single Player Games

- Look into increasing the number of Civs in a single game for Multiplayer (probably not possible)

- Try to have the right number of city-states based on world size or number of civs (instead of the current, steady number of 18 CSs)

- Rework the map, improve continent shapes and lake shapes

- Rework the terrain features to better reflect the real Earth

- Add Goody Huts manually if I can't get them to randomly generate like they're supposed to.

- Add a second map with Panama, Suez, and Bosphorus Canals closed with land (for those who prefer to build cities as canals, rather than have them open as coasts).

- More amenities for resources or buildings, then scale back on resources (keep in mind most people say the balance is already right).

- Needs more cattle and sheep for pastures.

- Get Natural Wonders to work.

Again, I can't guarantee I'll get all of this stuff into Alpha v1.3, especially Natural Wonders, appropriate number of City-States based on number of Civilizations, and more prophets. But before I release 1.3 I'll attempt, at least, to get all of these things working.

Last edited:
That’s good, but why St.Petersburg is located at the place of Moscow?

Because I was still thinking that Capitals are the same they've always been; Moscow with Russia, Berlin with Germany, etc. I'll either code the Capitals to have their traditional Civ names or I'll reposition starting locations to suit the names the game gives them.

BTW I've noticed that at about 80 turns or later the game freezes when I try to Exit to Desktop. Anyone else encountering this?

Top Bottom