Pay for multiplayer? Boo!

zantax

Chieftain
I went out yesterday and bought civ3 because my nephew is going to be staying with me for a week or two before heading back to Penn and we had enjoyed playing civ2 on my home lan in the past. I install the game and surprise! no multiplayer. After looking around on this site I find out that multiplayer is going to be a $30 expansion released this winter. Huh? What, is it 1990 wherever firaxis is located?

So I am supposed to shell out $80 bucks for a game I can actually play with a human opponent? Please don't tell me I am going to need two copies, or make that four copies. Surely they don't expect me to lay out $160 to play this game with my nephew. If thats the case then firaxis will surely never see any cash from me again. Oh and by the way the graphics stink and the cheating AI pisses me off too.

[rant]see above[/rant]
:rolleyes:

yes, we all hoped for MP to be in the first release. If you follow the links you find here all over the place and check otu the MP announcement, you will find that PTW will probably NOT require two copies to be played by two people....

Civilization is, has, and always will be designed as a single player game.

I repeat, Civ 3 was made as a single player game.

If you went out and bought the game on a whim without doing any research on what the game actually included, then don't be surprised when you don't get what you hoped for. Kind of like buying a new car, going home and saying "hey, they didn't tell me there was no AC included, I'm never buying from them again!"

And you can easily change the graphics and tone down the AI cheating, if you want to win the game every time. :rolleyes:

By the way, Civ 2 multi-player was in an expansion pack also.

Originally posted by Trip

If you went out and bought the game on a whim without doing any research on what the game actually included, then don't be surprised when you don't get what you hoped for. Kind of like buying a new car, going home and saying "hey, they didn't tell me there was no AC included, I'm never buying from them again!"

And you can easily change the graphics and tone down the AI cheating, if you want to win the game every time. :rolleyes:

I do not have civ 2 and I have heard that but civ 3 is not a good single player game. How many people have ever had one more turn and it will get better? The ai is stupid and easy to manipulate we need humans to give a fair challenge.

I *knew* that multiplayer wasn't going to be shipping with the game, and I strongly believed that it wasn't going to be included as a patch. No problem, since I never intended to go multiplayer.

I've since found a few people who can reliably play and turn around some pbem games long term (say a year or so :)); and intend to buy the expansion pack.

The point is; I was an informed consumer.

Tom

(by the way, if anyone wants to start up some long term pbem games, drop me email at thodavie@shaw.ca so I can get you on my contact list. I play for fun, and don't bring an ego to the table. I don't mind losing as long as I learn)

Originally posted by cegman
I do not have civ 2 and I have heard that but civ 3 is not a good single player game. How many people have ever had one more turn and it will get better? The ai is stupid and easy to manipulate we need humans to give a fair challenge.
The Civ 2 AI was much worse. What game's AI in a game as complicated as a Civ strategy game could you say are better than Civ 3's AI? Yes, there are ways to manipulate the computer. Lure them with Workers, stick a big stack on top of a mountain and watch them charge. If you have a problem with these tactics, don't use them and the playing field will level out. :) No one is forcing you to dupe the AI. ;)

That's so NOT the point and apparently it wasn't designed as a single player game if they're making it MP.

Though I'm sure I'll play it, there's no way in hell I'm actually BUYING the expansion for multiplayer, it's just asinine to charge for it. Every game, from Hasbro's risk to Tiger Wood's Golf, is playable over a LAN or IP.

Originally posted by Trip

While I'm not naive enough to believe that you won't pirate it (your post imples as much), it would be rather nice if they would implement some kind of serial number system for the Xpack, so that the pirates would have a harder time.

Again, if you don't want to pay for it, DON'T. But then, don't bother playing it either.

Tom

Originally posted by Koronin
That's so NOT the point and apparently it wasn't designed as a single player game if they're making it MP.

Though I'm sure I'll play it, there's no way in hell I'm actually BUYING the expansion for multiplayer, it's just asinine to charge for it. Every game, from Hasbro's risk to Tiger Wood's Golf, is playable over a LAN or IP.
Um... yes it is the point.

It's a single-player strategy game. Was Civ I multi-player? *Hears a whiny voice in his head that says 'they didn't have the internet back then!'* Well gee whiz, I guess the Civ series was originally made without the idea of playing against another human! If they can sell more and make more money by expanding on the original game, then more power to them for working on such a successful game.

Go ahead and steal an extra feature that we'll be paying 30 dollars for and make us pay more for things in the future. I'll be sure to thank you in hell.

Originally posted by zantax
Huh? What, is it 1990 wherever firaxis is located?

Did you read the box before you bought it?

I'm taking it you didn't.

If you want to $#&@ and moan about spending 80 bucks on the game, you should at least take the time to READ THE BOX.

It's YOUR fault because YOU didn't take the RESPONSIBILITY as a customer to put forth a MINIMAL EFFORT to SEEK INFORMATION. It's not Firaxis that has a problem, it's YOU.

Originally posted by Alpine Trooper
DELETED

Oh, sure... just go ahead and decrease tax revenue for my city. ;) (or county atleast when Firaxis goes to pay their taxes). That's 1 less textbook for my alma mater. See how piracy affects the local economy? :D

Mods anyone? ;)

I don't care what you guys think. I've enjoyed Civ III single player, I'm willing to pay the extra money for the PTW expansion, and I INTEND to. Not to mention the unrelated Empire Earth Expansion. Sometimes there are things which the companies don't think of to put in the first time and think it would be profitable to put in an expansion. Or even don't have time to put in the intial release, or as you stated just wanted to get more money. Not EVERYONE plays multiplayer you know, no one's FORCING you to get PTW or that you HAVE to play Civ III multiplayer, you know you've survived this long, and do you think Alexander the Great got his required dosages of Multiplayer Civilization III when he was conquering Greece and Persia? In fact my brother and I tried Alpha Centari's MP and we didn't like how it was set up, having to constantly wait for the other's turn to be up, it wasn't as fun as single player. Though PTW looks like the play interface will be better which may get me into the MP relm.

Simply put, Multiplayer isn't required for a game, I tend to play primarily Single player seeing Multiplayer as an added feature which they didn't have to put in there in the first place but were kind enough to add. Please don't Pirate the game, you just increase the cost, kill the company, and hurt my local economy.

Ok I must have bought the gold version of civ2 which is why I assumed civ3 would have mp included. Maybe it's just me but I view mp as pretty much a standard feature these days. So yes if I had researched the game or even read the box I would haVe known it was without mp capability. Does any of that make me any happier with this game purchase? The answer is no. To me turn based strategy games are very similar to chess. Can you play chess by yourself? Sure, but it ain't much fun is it? I don't begrudge them their expansion money but making me pay for what I consider standard features irritates me. That goes for rally points and stack moving too by the way. I am more than happy to pay for new content but what they did here amounts to crippling the copy I bought in order to force me into buying the expansion. I am sure there are some people(rolls his eyes at the fanboys) who will cite examples of games that didn't include these basics but you have to ask yourself if that is the norm or the exception.

So while I won't pirate the expansion I won't be as quick to buy a title from this company again either.

Top Bottom