Persia in BNW

I think halberd has an axe head by definition, but yeah, they often included additional hooks and spikes to make enemy life even worse.

It's really not that important. Lancers have a very large usage window. They're expert pillagers and spotters, and give them a healing promotion and use them to keep the troops fresh. If you don't have horses- guess what? You'll have to trade for some or take them by force. The pikeman path is not an issue.

Persia seems just as strong in the hands of the AI but I haven't tried them out later. Rushing to get some great artists seems like a legitimate strategy, especially since you can't put them anywhere but Cathedrals (and parthenon, and palace) for 5500 years.

Pop those as you expand your empire and Persia remains a beast.

The above comment about fewer gold tiles is very insightful. Definitely a slight reduction to Persia's power.

In terms of pikes upgrading to lancers, i gotta say it does not really make sense military wise.

If anything, pikeman were upgraded into soldiers with bayonets. They weren't replaced by a huge cavalry contingent to counter other cavalry, infantry remained the huge majority of armies.

Lancers were an entirely separate thing, and upgraded from light cavalry that has traditionally been armed with spears from way back into the classical era, maybe even further.

I can however appreciate that from a gameplay POV it makes sense, especially in the case of the uber powerful persian immortals and zulu impis. :goodjob:

I don't understand this....I'm playing Persia and I built the Chichen Itza and my golden age was still 12 turns?? I thought it would increase my regular Persian golden age from 12 turns to 18 turns.

...And I feel really stupid because I don't understand why my harbors aren't connecting with my capital. I've built harbors before and they connected just fine. Argh!

I don't understand this....I'm playing Persia and I built the Chichen Itza and my golden age was still 12 turns?? I thought it would increase my regular Persian golden age from 12 turns to 18 turns.

...And I feel really stupid because I don't understand why my harbors aren't connecting with my capital. I've built harbors before and they connected just fine. Argh!

Depends on speed. I think normal speed golden ages are normally 8 turns, so you have got the bonus!

As for harbours, there may be barbarians or enemies blockading you that you can' see. Also, you need unbroken coastal sight (no unexplored tiles) between your harboured cities. And of course you need a harbour in your capital or in a city connected to your capital by roads for other harbours to work

Depends on speed. I think normal speed golden ages are normally 8 turns, so you have got the bonus!

As for harbours, there may be barbarians or enemies blockading you that you can' see. Also, you need unbroken coastal sight (no unexplored tiles) between your harboured cities. And of course you need a harbour in your capital or in a city connected to your capital by roads for other harbours to work

Doh! I didn't have my harbor in the capital! *facepalm*

Persia in BNW goes one of two ways for me now (I've played a couple games as them on Duel and Tiny just to see how things play out)

1) A religion, high faith yield, Aesthetics, and Chichen Itza: probably better than in G&K, especially because the first couple artists spawn much faster than before.

2) No religion (or very low faith yield), Aesthetics, and NO Chichen Itza: way worse than not having these things in G&K, because, well, now we have to actually complete the SP tree to buy its Great People via faith rather than just open it. So when this combination of things occurs, the problem quickly becomes that if I only closed Aesthetics because I thought I'd found a religion and/or build Chichen Itza, well, then I'm stuck with an entire SP tree that may not really be useful to me based on how many Cultural Wonders I predict to get.

But isn't the Impi specially-scripted to evolve to Rifleman instead of Lancer?

It's because Firaxis realizes how stupid it would be for the main unit of the Zulu to upgrade on a terrible pathline. However they don't seem to care that the main frontline units for Greek, Persia, Celts, and Germany get stuck into a terrible path past medieval.

GAs are on their own counter now so Persia can get as many GAs as they please and not miss-out of GEs and GSs.

So, no, they didn't get nerfed. It's even easier to be in a golden age forever now.

I was wondering what victory condition people think is best for Persia now.... Culture was great with the Persian golden age in G&K but now the culture gained from the golden age doesn't contribute to such a victory... What VC are people liking in BNW?

Top Bottom